Ryzen 7 3700X - Aorus X570 Elite - Vega 64

Components

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X w/ Deepcool Gammaxx L240
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite Motherboard
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 OC Gaming
2x8GB Thermaltake 3600MHz CL18 DDR4 Thoughram

Storage:
500GB WB Blue PCI 3.0 NVME (Mac OS)
500GB ADATA XPG Spectrix S40G PCI 3.0 NVME (Windows 10)
4x WD Black 1TB
1x WD Black 1.5TB
1x Segate 3GB (hot'n noisy... typical)

Peripherals:
Corsair K70 Lux RGB Cherry Brown
Corsair M65 Pro (Black)
Logitec K400 wireless keyboard/mouse
XBOX One wireless controller

Displays:
Samsung C27JG5x 27" WQHD 144Hz Curved (Main display)
Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW 24" WUXGA (Secondary display)
Samsung Q60R 49" 4K HDR QLED (Couch Gaming)
Hitachi 46LTV 46" LED (Basement Gaming)

Case:
Thermaltake Level 20 XT

Comments

Heyas folks, just thought that I would share my success story! I had been using a rock solid i7 3770K Z77X-UD5H system for the past 8 years but decided to switch to Team Red after the boot loaders now patch AMD CPUs on-the-fly as they do Intel. My first ever Hackintosh back in the day was an AMD 64 X2 that I found in the trash. From there I moved on to an Athlon and eventually settled with a Phenom II before switching to Intel's (then new) Core i platform. I must say, things have come a very very long way since the early days of Chameleon and patched AMD Kernels.

Installation

BIOS Settings:
I used optimized defaults, then enabled XMP for the RAM and set Mac OS to the default boot drive. The only BIOS setting I had to check/change was Above 4G Decoding; Make sure it is set to disabled.

Install Method:
Initially, I had followed guides found on other sites, experimenting with both OpenCore and Clover on an external USB3 SSD. Installation of Mac OS Catalina went off without a hitch. I then analyzed what was required specifically for my system in both ACPI and the config.plist. To my surprise it wasn't much; What is highlighted in bold below, and editing the config.plist (the usual).

Using my old Ivy Bridge system, I then proceeded to follow the Tonymacx86 UniBeast guide to make a fresh NVMe install for my X570 system.

Used the UniBeast install method to make a USB installer. I then copied over the above KEXTs highlighted in red to EFI->Clover->Kexts->Other, followed by the SSDTs into EFI->Clover->ACPI->Patched. Lastly I copied over my configured config.plist.

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6
Windows 10 Pro 2004

Bootloader: Clover version 5120

ACPI:
SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD (for USB power fix, not entirely needed for functionality)*
SSDT-NVME (for PCIe NVME drive fix, not entirely needed for functionality)*
SSDT-PLUG (for Power Management fix, not entirely needed for functionality)*

Kexts:
AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext (required for native speedstate/boost)
AppleALC.kext
Lilu.kext
SmallTree-Intel-211VA-PCIe-GBE.kext (LAN)
SMCAMDProcessor.kext (essential AMD kext linked to VirtualSMC)
VirtualSMC.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

* In all of the AMD installation guides I have followed (both for Clover and OpenCore) these SSDTs are always present. I have taken them out with no ill effects. However, I will keep them in as they do not seem to do any harm.

Summary
99.9% ROCK SOLID stable! :headbang:
Messages/FaceTime: works
iCloud: works
Ethernet: works
ALC1200: all back I/O ports work with auto front jack detection
USB: all ports work natively except a single USB 3.1 (though can still use for power)
Display/HDMI: all work however when I have 4+ displays connected there are slight hiccups with frame-drops
CPU Energy Saver/Precision Boost Overdrive: works
Schedule Startup & Shutdown: works
Sleep: does not work when USB devices are active rendering sleep useless :banghead:

Oh, one last niggle.. Adobe products may or may not NEED PATCHING. It seems Adobe doesn't like AMD's version of MMX, MMX+. Click here for the fixes. When I re-installed Photoshop onto the NVME it crashed upon first boot. I assumed that I needed the patch so I applied it, and Photoshop still crashed. It seems I needed to restart the computer after the install, so I am not sure if I ever needed the patch to begin with and TBH I don't feel like re-installing Adobe CC to find out as it works.

Thus far, I have encountered no stability issues, nor apps not working properly. Since the initial install I have updated Mac OS Catalina several times from Software Update. I use Mac OS as my daily driver, and like most have a Windows 10 drive for gaming. All in all, my Ryzen 7 3700X system is as stable and vanilla as my i7 3770K system, and I am 100% satisfied with both my upgrade and purchase decision. I am glad, after MONTHS, I can share this here!

Benchmarks

Cinebench R20

Black Magic Speed Test

Geekbench 4

Geekbench 5

Unigine Heaven

Luxmark

Attachments

• Darkside.jpg
    Darkside.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 3,961
  • CLOVER.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 714
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.41.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 7.41.09 PM.png
    288.5 KB · Views: 3,506
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 8.34.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 8.34.05 PM.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 3,576
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 8.30.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 8.30.20 PM.png
    256.7 KB · Views: 3,501
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 8.44.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 8.44.15 PM.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 3,485
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 8.38.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 8.38.09 PM.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 3,481
Last edited:
Bansaku's AMD Build:
Ryzen 7 3700X - Aorus X570 Elite - Vega 64
Nice job, I had to learn Chameleon to get my Ryzen hacked a few years ago as well. Quite the improvement and increase in popularity with the patches.

Nice job, I had to learn Chameleon to get my Ryzen hacked a few years ago as well. Quite the improvement and increase in popularity with the patches.
I held on to Chameleon until I couldn't as Clover was a pain. Now the opposite and OC is the new Clover. :lol:

Hey, many thanks for the writeup! Also, I'm about to move to Ryzen, and dualboot it with Win. Thumbs up man! :)
What's the hickup with the USB devices? Does the computer not sleep at all?

@Bansaku,

Hi, where can i change Above 4G Decoding? I have the same motherboard.

Settings/IO Ports/Above 4G Decoding

If you have default setting is on default on disable.

Hi I'm Luca, I tried to use your configuration for my hardware but I'm not successful :(.
I also wanted to ask if you can be successful with Mojave?.
THX

Hardware:
MB: Gigabite AMD X470 AORUS
CPU: AMD ryzen 7 2700x
VGA: AMD Radeon R9 280X
HD: samsung nvme 970 evo

Fantastic! Holler at me if ya need any help.
Hi Banzaku! I read that music production software such as logic pro have some issues with AMD. Do you know anything regarding these issues? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back