Contribute
Register

AMD RX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the RX 590 is coming soon. I just noticed the price of the 580 dropped $10. Hopefully it gets even cheaper. I feel confident going with two Sapphire Pulse cards.

Hopefully having two cards won't case any issue. For some reason my computer wouldn't boot into macos when added a second 980 ti. I am however on high sierra... I wonder if my Alpine ridge thunderbolt card has anything to do with running a second gpu?

My plan is two Sapphire pulse cards and update to Mojave. Maybe sell my 980 ti...

Looks like the RX 590 is coming soon. I just noticed the price of the 580 dropped $10. Hopefully it gets even cheaper. I feel confident going with two Sapphire Pulse cards.

Hopefully having two cards won't case any issue. For some reason my computer wouldn't boot into macos when added a second 980 ti. I am however on high sierra... I wonder if my Alpine ridge thunderbolt card has anything to do with running a second gpu?

My plan is two Sapphire pulse cards and update to Mojave. Maybe sell my 980 ti...

The alpine ridge may be a problem. Most motherboards PCI config is
1 video card =16 pcie lanes.
2 video cards = 8 lanes each card.
If using the thunderbolt maybe it had a problem.
2 video cards = 4 lanes ea, thunderbolt = 4 lanes?

Check your bios for PCI settings there is usually and auto setting or manual gen 1, gen 2, gen 3.

Vega 56, or 64 will give you about the same performance as dual RX 480s and at the same price point. It would run all apps versus dual cards only running certain render apps. It will give you pci lanes for the thunderbolt card. I’m seeing the 56 for $399 which is less than 2 480s.

The alpine ridge may be a problem. Most motherboards PCI config is
1 video card =16 pcie lanes.
2 video cards = 8 lanes each card.
If using the thunderbolt maybe it had a problem.
2 video cards = 4 lanes ea, thunderbolt = 4 lanes?

Check your bios for PCI settings there is usually and auto setting or manual gen 1, gen 2, gen 3.

Vega 56, or 64 will give you about the same performance as dual RX 480s and at the same price point. It would run all apps versus dual cards only running certain render apps. It will give you pci lanes for the thunderbolt card. I’m seeing the 56 for $399 which is less than 2 480s.

Brilliant! Thank you. I think we're on to something I'd much rather have one card. I have much to learn. Greatly appreciate the help!

RX 580 cards have this issue with non IGPU builds, to get around this use the IGPU for h.264. Now that being said it may also depend on which IGPU you have. Haswell and above seem to have no problem but some of the older models may not work with this fix. Another option may also be to try other symbios like Mac Pro 5.1 or 6.1. There are a lot of variables and people with very similar systems have very different results.
I’ve seen people stick to a system definition that matches their cpu and have lots of problems and as soon as they change it everything works. Others have good luck with a cpu system definition.

All RX5xx have a problem with H.264. Period.
Don't confuse IGPU encoding with dGPU encoding.
Yes Haswell and newer CPU that have IGPU will do the H.264. So when you say they "seem to have no problem" it's because the IGPU is doing the H.264 work. The point is it's NOT the RX5xx that's doing the work.
In effect, the RX5xx is just a brick sitting there doing nothing but bit of the GUI and some FCPX time line acceleration.
Then there are issues with DRM too.

@shuhung made a very good summary of the current state of affairs and potentially what's coming here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...t-support-hevc-hw.240353/page-40#post-1848081

All RX5xx have a problem with H.264. Period.
Don't confuse IGPU encoding with dGPU encoding.
Yes Haswell and newer CPU that have IGPU will do the H.264. So when you say they "seem to have no problem" it's because the IGPU is doing the H.264 work.

Do you know if this is the case for the VEGA cards as well?

Do you know if this is the case for the VEGA cards as well?
It's better. It works but not significantly better than i7-8700K's IGPU (unlike HEVC which wipes the floor compared to IGPU).
See here (it's in German).

Cool. Thanks.

I'm still wondering if things improve when these cards are used via eGPU. I'm seriously thinking of giving up my hack and getting a 2018 Mini, a Razer Core X and a Vega 64. Call it a day.

Cool. Thanks.

I'm still wondering if things improve when these cards are used via eGPU. I'm seriously thinking of giving up my hack and getting a 2018 Mini, a Razer Core X and a Vega 64. Call it a day.

I've been thinking of doing the same or similar. If that particular combo does well with H.264 in Premiere Pro, I might be sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back