Contribute
Register

AMD RX550 might work OOB, anyone want to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone willing to take the plunge to test it out for the whole group? If not i I might try it and if it doesn't work it'll still be a pretty awesome pc. But I have a good feeling that this might work due to the fact this is an in house product from intel.. I mean it basically a rx 570 on a 8x pcie 3 lane directly connected to the CPU.

At minimum the Kaby Lake HD 630 graphics will work, the unit I tested uses DDR4 memory this Intel has HBM2 built into it so the Vega graphicskexts may work for it. It’s a beta tester for sure but if it works it will be a great little unit.

At minimum the Kaby Lake HD 630 graphics will work, the unit I tested uses DDR4 memory this Intel has HBM2 built into it so the Vega graphicskexts may work for it. It’s a beta tester for sure but if it works it will be a great little unit.
Well I wish that was true but I asked several sales reps at intel and according to them they said that the iGPU does not actually have a video output - its just for video encoding.... So the vega gpu has to work sadly.. Lets hope that the new MBP 15" uses this chip.

Well I wish that was true but I asked several sales reps at intel and according to them they said that the iGPU does not actually have a video output - its just for video encoding.... So the vega gpu has to work sadly.. Lets hope that the new MBP 15" uses this chip.

From what I’ve read on the NUC ( Anandtech) the Vega only kicks in during heavy demand situations and the HD630 runs normal browsing tasks for power efficiency. This would make sense for notebooks and laptops because a full time RX 470 equivalent would burn up precious battery resources.

It also mentions the HD630 helping with decoding to help increase performance of the Vega. I guess we’ll have to wait for someone to get one and test it in MacOS. Fingers crossed.

From what I’ve read on the NUC ( Anandtech) the Vega only kicks in during heavy demand situations and the HD630 runs normal browsing tasks for power efficiency. This would make sense for notebooks and laptops because a full time RX 470 equivalent would burn up precious battery resources.

It also mentions the HD630 helping with decoding to help increase performance of the Vega. I guess we’ll have to wait for someone to get one and test it in MacOS. Fingers crossed.
True I didn’t think of it that way - let’s hope...

Please i need solution for RX550 4GB in my Hackintosh, i try most method but unsuccessful. I NEED A HELP, PLEASE!

Please i need solution for RX550 4GB in my Hackintosh, i try most method but unsuccessful. I NEED A HELP, PLEASE!

What is the device ID?

Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 8.21.07 PM.png

Last edited:
It's 65W, so it's closer to RX 560 75W, than to RX 550 50W, not sure it's worth messing with.
Anyway, i've already ordered RX 560 from AMD, which seems to be smallest among AMD 8K cards.

263638-9b3e31c731b20b306799caf93b15db3e.jpg

Hi @dmitry_matora did you ever get this card (as the picture) working? Thanks in advance

Hi @dmitry_matora did you ever get this card (as the picture) working? Thanks in advance
Yeah, it works "natively" with WhateverGreen, but it died after 2 months of office usage, and it didn't come with any kind of warranty, and I finally got myself a Flex 4.5L case which can hold 2 slots GPU and 300W PSU, so I've switched to MSI RX 460.

IMG_1056.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, it works "natively" with WhateverGreen, but it died after 2 months of office usage, and it didn't come with any kind of warranty, and I finally got myself a Flex 4.5L case which can hold 2 slots GPU and 300W PSU, so I've switched to MSI RX 460.

View attachment 333606
Thanks. I'm struggling to get it to work under HS reliably - it causes freezing and black screens. Did you have to use Lulu / de-init as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back