Contribute
Register

AMD RX550 might work OOB, anyone want to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about getting this card:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150813

I am currently running an Nvidia 960 and it is very laggy.

Other then removing the Nvidia drivers, what else would I have to do to get this card to run on my system under High Sierra?

That card works perfect. I currently have it running for about 1 month on dual monitors. No problems. I took out my 980Ti's because it was insanely laggy. I plan to get a Vega 64 or Frontier Edition when prices calm down a bit or the miners put some on ebay :)

HOWEVER, you need to flash the vBIOS with something like the Sapphire RX560 4GB OC (make sure to get the 4GB bios if you get the 4GB card) or it's not going to work at all (this is known historically with XFX cards).

If you do want to not have any issues at all, just get the Sapphire RX560 (2gb or 4gb) and it will work out of the box with Lilu and WhateverGreen.

You will also need something like agdpfix to enable the secondary ports for dual monitors because it will just be black (if you are using iMac 17,1, 18,3 or whatever). Or just put in nVidiaGraphicFixup.kext (yes I know it's name is nVidia) in your kext folder.

Last edited:
I wound up getting an Asus RX 560 4GB OC, works great out of the box, driving three monitors, two 23' @1080p and one 27'4K I love the card.

I wound up getting an Asus RX 560 4GB OC, works great out of the box, driving three monitors, two 23' @1080p and one 27'4K I love the card.

It's amazing how this little card can handle multi monitors so well and no lag. It just shows how much Apple optimizes for AMD.

When you put in a nVidia card even a higher end one like 980Ti (even by todays standards its still a beast) or 1080Ti, it LAGS like a cheap GPU.

Excited to get a Vega Frontier when they're dumped on eBay :D

One thing I'll miss is CUDA.

When you say out of the box, did you need to use radeon de init or Lulu etc kexts?

I'm moving to one shortly from HD4000 onboard graphics so keen to understand what I do (or don't) need.

So initially I used nothing and had some issues, so I used radeondeinit and still I was experiencing some random freezing of my system so today I added Lilu back along with a custom boot flag -rad4200

That’s another option I am considering, but I have concerns like if Wi-Fi card is replaceable, especially with Apple one. What I’ve red about Skull Canyon NUC hackintoshing experience wasn’t very promising
This is very compelling because I watched -
and in the video you can see that the WiFi card is removable which is a huge plus - also it has LOTS of io and if you can run the IGPU and dgpu it would be awesome. Plus the 100w version is overclockable!

This is very compelling...
Yeah that was exactly my thaughts when I saw the removable wireless card. I was just about to make some itx build but this looks very promising so don't know if it's worth to wait month or two or not...what are the odds it would be able to run mac os?

It will be able to run macOS easily, but getting the Vega graphics working is the big question. I tested another CPU (unsuportted here) with Vega IGPU but it only worked on default apple display drivers. I actually had to spoof the Kaby Lake IGPU Kexts to get it to work decently. If you look at the info.plist for the AMD5000kext there are at least 9 different IDs for Vega cards. Maybe some of these will be for the intel/Vega CPUs. If apple is going to make a new MacMini these would be a great CPU option. Fingers crossed, hope these Vega IGPUs work in macOS.

Anyone willing to take the plunge to test it out for the whole group? If not i I might try it and if it doesn't work it'll still be a pretty awesome pc. But I have a good feeling that this might work due to the fact this is an in house product from intel.. I mean it basically a rx 570 on a 8x pcie 3 lane directly connected to the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back