Contribute
Register

AMD RX550 might work OOB, anyone want to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That didn't work. In fact, trying to get this to work, I've made my HD 630 worse! It's gone from 5MB to 3MB!!!

I need serious help here...

@ChrisRobmacbuntu

H
i, here (maybe) the solution 4 U:

1. Look @ my images
2. Restart
3. Go into the BIOS
4. Set the Graphics to iGPU
5. Safe & restart

6. Have a fun :!:
7. Good luck :headbang:

8. Greetz from West Germany

Attachments

• Devices:IntelGFX.jpeg
    Devices:IntelGFX.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 1,169
  • Graphics:IntelGFX.jpeg
    Graphics:IntelGFX.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 1,093
Last edited:
Did it work OOB? I just got a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 that I can't get past the "gIOScreenLockState" screen so I'm going to take it back.

If the RX 550 works for you, I may go pick up a similar AMD card.

Update for RX 550 in High Sierra.

Fake ID in Clover with and without inject ATI.
I tried several fake ID settings in Clover Graphics Settings. 0x67EF1002, 0x67FF1002, 0x67EO1002, 0x67CO1002, 0x67DF1002, etc.. So far nothing has worked to get any support for the card, I also tried with some of the Vega IDs in the 1000Controllerkext but no luck there as well.

Manual editing of kexts. (Adding the Device ID to the info.plist of kexts)
I used High Sierra because it has more drivers for AMD graphics cards than Sierra, however there is no RX 550 Device ID anywhere in the graphics kexts. I edited every set of kexts that are currently used by the RX 460-560 or Baffin cards ie... AMD9500Controller, 9510, 9515, 9520, and even the 10,000kext for the Vegas. I also, edited the 4000kext, the 4100, 4150, 4200, 4250, and 5000kexts as well. The closest I got to any support was loading the AMDRadeon4000HWServiceskext but the 4100kext and 9510Controller didn't load at all so there is never anything more than 7mb cram support and it always runs on default display drivers.

Injecting VROM using clover.
I returned the card but then remembered that I didn't try the vga.rom injection method that sometimes works for unsupported cards. I extracted the vbios for the card and renamed it 1002_699f.rom and placed it in the Clover/Rom folder. I selected Load Video Bios in Clover Graphics settings and tried with inject ATi and without. Unfortunately, the card is not picking up any support at this time. This is with the latest Dev. Beta version 6 of High Sierra I also tested with the HS 13.1 public release as well. So far no luck, not even partial support.

Maybe Apple will include these cards for support but for the time being there is nothing in the drivers that indicates anything for now.

RX 550 .png

I use NV GT 1030m works good and fast for only 30 Watt! Wanted to try the 50 Watt RX 550 - they known working RX 560 is to much watt (80+) for my usage..
Same here, i'm about to give up on my GT 1030, and RX 550 seems to be only hope for my PSU, i really wish someone find a way to get it working

I own one, It can't go higher than 4K, which means no HiDPI for 1440p.
So it's not better than HD 630, that's built into my Kaby Lake CPU (yet much slower)

Its too bad the new CoffeeLake Intel/Amd Vega CPU won't work for your motherboard that should have 20 compute units which is better than the RX550 and much less power consumption.

Its too bad the new CoffeeLake Intel/Amd Vega CPU won't work for your motherboard that should have 20 compute units which is better than the RX550 and much less power consumption.
I've spent last week staring at Kaby Lake G photos and crying about it not likely going to hit Mini-ITX market :)
I will definitely purchase ITX motherboard for it, if it does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back