Contribute
Register

AMD RX550 might work OOB, anyone want to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does AMD RX550 working correctly in high sierra? I mean there is an issue with amd gpus -- I read it on more site -- that they boot only with black screen.

So far, the only comprehensive list of current external video cards that supposedly run on a TB3 enabled Mac is located on the Sonnet website akin to their newest eGPU product. Sonnet claims that all the listed cards have drivers in High Sierra. It's only my guess that a hackintosh running HS should be able to run any of the listed cards yet it's unknown whether particular cards have regular Mac bootup screen capability or not.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-box.html (then click on the graphics card tab to see the video cards HS is supposedly capable of natively supporting)

Apple support for external video cards is still rather experimental and may yield imperfect results. Of course, such data lends itself to the question of the same cards being able to run in a hackintosh without TB3? The RX550 is on the supported list along with all the other cards from the RX family.

HS must be run on a CPU that supports SSE4. So, while there may be a driver interdependecy in HS that requires an SSE4 CPU to run some of the newer video cards, my RX550 runs perfectly in a Windows 10 Bootcamp partition on a MacPro 1,1 which does not have SSE4 capability. The RX550 is designed to work with almost any platform, even a 10+ year old Xeon based rig with PCIe v1.0 and 8 available lanes. Hence, the ability to run video cards on a MacOS platform is, in my estimation, almost entirely a software issue than a hardware issue. Perhaps future iterations of MacOS will hopefully inject bootup screens for any external video card without the need for an initial bootup screen from a Mac firmware video card or waiting through a black screen.

Last edited:
@yummymac
Hi, did you come further using RX 550 in Sierra / HS?
As known there is no dev ID 699F in the AMD drivers. Did you tried to patch drivers by adding that dev id in drivers used by already working RX 560 ?
I use NV GT 1030m works good and fast for only 30 Watt! Wanted to try the 50 Watt RX 550 - they known working RX 560 is to much watt (80+) for my usage..

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-box.html (then click on the graphics card tab to see the video cards HS is supposedly capable of natively supporting)

Great find, yummymac! Tech Note 2, which is on the Tech Spec page, has the insight into the support of the AMD RX graphics cards:
Support for select external AMD Graphics cards on macOS High Sierra will be officially beta until spring 2018. Currently, internal video is not accelerated by an external graphics card. Sonnet has organized what we consider to be the most accurate of the information available in this installation guide. Note that you may not be able to obtain support from Apple or AMD for external graphics under macOS at this time. If you have any issues using any Sonnet product, please contact Sonnet customer service at [email protected]
Note: my underline.

This is slightly off topic for this RX 560 thread. I have a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card running OOB in Sierra 10.12.6 and HS 10.13.1. It is a AMD Reference Deign card (1 DVI, 2 HDMI and 2 DP connectors) which Apple is using in their eGPU peripheral sold only to developers. The Mac Pro users, at the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section, have documented that it works in the cMPs (classic Mac Pros). That's the good news.

Those same Mac Pro users have also stated the Vega cards work in 10.13.2 Beta releases but are still immature. So, stay tune for more mature releases of HS.

BTW, that above Tech Note had me thinking that's the time of the forecasted release of the new Mac Pro. So, that's about the time frame for the HS 10.13.4/5/6 release.

@yummymac
Hi, did you come further using RX 550 in Sierra / HS?
As known there is no dev ID 699F in the AMD drivers. Did you tried to patch drivers by adding that dev id in drivers used by already working RX 560 ?
I use NV GT 1030m works good and fast for only 30 Watt! Wanted to try the 50 Watt RX 550 - they known working RX 560 is to much watt (80+) for my usage..

I picked up a Gigabyte RX550 2gb model and will try tonight. I’ll reply with results if it will work in either High Sierra or Sierra with kext edits if needed.

I picked up a Gigabyte RX550 2gb model and will try tonight. I’ll reply with results if it will work in either High Sierra or Sierra with kext edits if needed.

Did it work OOB? I just got a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 that I can't get past the "gIOScreenLockState" screen so I'm going to take it back.

If the RX 550 works for you, I may go pick up a similar AMD card.

Great find, yummymac! Tech Note 2, which is on the Tech Spec page, has the insight into the support of the AMD RX graphics cards:Note: my underline.

This is slightly off topic for this RX 560 thread. I have a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card running OOB in Sierra 10.12.6 and HS 10.13.1. It is a AMD Reference Deign card (1 DVI, 2 HDMI and 2 DP connectors) which Apple is using in their eGPU peripheral sold only to developers. The Mac Pro users, at the MacRumor's Mac Pro forum section, have documented that it works in the cMPs (classic Mac Pros). That's the good news.

Those same Mac Pro users have also stated the Vega cards work in 10.13.2 Beta releases but are still immature. So, stay tune for more mature releases of HS.

BTW, that above Tech Note had me thinking that's the time of the forecasted release of the new Mac Pro. So, that's about the time frame for the HS 10.13.4/5/6 release.

Stork,

I may need your help. I've tried both a GeForce GTX 1050 and a Radeon RX 560 and I had the same exact results - "gIOScreenLockState" screen.

Currently have the AMD Radeon RX 560.
I have the WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext in both places (EFI and /L/E).
I checked the Radeon DeInit checked.

i7 7700K
EVGA Z270K Mobo
18,3 smbios
High Sierra 10.13.1

Let me know what else you need and I will get it to you. I have no clue how to error report or the IOReg thing. Point me to a link for that info if you need it.

One other thing:

I haven't been able to get HD 630 accelerated. Still reporting 5MB memory so I know I need to address that also.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. I'm about to take another graphics card back if I can't get it to work.

Stork,

I may need your help. I've tried both a GeForce GTX 1050 and a Radeon RX 560 and I had the same exact results - "gIOScreenLockState" screen.

Currently have the AMD Radeon RX 560.
I have the WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext in both places (EFI and /L/E).
I checked the Radeon DeInit checked.
I'm new at the AMD graphics card thing, too. But, I do know that if you have your config.plist set up correctly with the RadeonDeInit = true, then you don't need Lilu & whatevergreen kexts, period. Removed those two kexts from both places. (In the future, put the kexts in only one place. I recommend /L/E/ as it was designed by Apple to be the location for non Apple kexts. This is where MultiBeast puts the kexts.)

I'm new at the AMD graphics card thing, too. But, I do know that if you have your config.plist set up correctly with the RadeonDeInit = true, then you don't need Lilu & whatevergreen kexts, period. Removed those two kexts from both places. (In the future, put the kexts in only one place. I recommend /L/E/ as it was designed by Apple to be the location for non Apple kexts. This is where MultiBeast puts the kexts.)

Thanks...I will try that and let you know how it works out for me tomorrow. Thanks for the fast reply.

That didn't work. In fact, trying to get this to work, I've made my HD 630 worse! It's gone from 5MB to 3MB!!!

I need serious help here...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back