Contribute
Register

AMD RX550 might work OOB, anyone want to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any news about RX 550 on Sierra?
Doesnt that LILU + WHATEVERGREEN (used with Clover and no other injections) help?

The RX550 has device id 0x699f which isn't included in WhateverGreen. There probably is a good reason for that since it does appear in the PCI ID database they use. I'd guess its because its listed as Lexa Pro rather than Polaris 12, which means Sierra doesn't have a driver for it, people were assuming it was a Polaris 12.

Last edited:
The RX550 has device id 0x699f which isn't included in WhateverGreen. There probably is a good reason for that since it does appear in the PCI ID database they use. I'd guess its because its listed as Lexa Pro rather than Polaris 12, which means Sierra doesn't have a driver for it, people were assuming it was a Polaris 12.

That's a good point @zebrum . I seem to remember seeing (probably in some Windows software) that my RX560 is a Polaris 11 card, whereas I've read the RX550 is Polaris 12. Different kettle of fish, as they say.

:)

Turns out Lexa IS Polaris 12 so yeh as you said RX550 is Polaris 12. I think I've discovered how the confusion around this came about. In Dec 2016 there was an updated driver that included a polaris 12 and vega card type strings as well as some device IDs. Some news sites, inc. Hexus assumed one of the device IDs was a polaris 12 card, 687F, hence announcing support for Polaris 12. Turns out they were wrong on that and it is a Vega card so I think with no Polaris 12 device IDs present the outcome is there is likely no driver support for Polaris 12 at the moment, and likely there never will be given it is just budget half performance of Polaris 11 cards.

Turns out Lexa IS Polaris 12 so yeh as you said RX550 is Polaris 12. I think I've discovered how the confusion around this came about. In Dec 2016 there was an updated driver that included a polaris 12 and vega card type strings as well as some device IDs. Some news sites, inc. Hexus assumed one of the device IDs was a polaris 12 card, 687F, hence announcing support for Polaris 12. Turns out they were wrong on that and it is a Vega card so I think with no Polaris 12 device IDs present the outcome is there is likely no driver support for Polaris 12 at the moment, and likely there never will be given it is just budget half performance of Polaris 11 cards.

Interesting find.
I haven't seen any reports as to what the new Apple-fitted Radeon Pro 555 might be. Given my RX560 is matched to the deviceID of a Radeon Pro 560, I guess there were hopes it might be a Polaris 12 making the RX550 a possibility.

The new Sonnet eGPU support list claims functionality for an RX550 (among a plethora of other video cards) OOB. Lacking other info at this time, it appears the drivers the Sonnet uses for the RX550 exist in High Sierra system extensions on my MacBookPro.

Today, I've successfully installed El Capitan on my MacPro 1,1. The 8800GT works but the RX550 is listed only as "Display". I'm now challenged to experiment with El Cap system extensions or attempt to install High Sierra onto the El Cap partition, something I believe has not yet been done.

My experiment (previously posted) with the RX550 in a MacPro 1,1 proves the card is flawless at 4k/60Hz in Windows 10 but not recognized in any version of MacOS up to El Cap I've tested. Looks like I'll seek to improve my coding skills.

El Cap on 1,1 nonf RX550.png

Last edited:
Yes, the High Sierra release date is only a week away now.

Well on separate threads here in the Graphics section I've been discussing my changeover from a Nvidia GTX1050 to Radeon RX560, which was less of a problem than I was expecting. Not quite OOB yet, there were hiccups easily overcome with a little help from friends here, research and experimentation. Whether this would translate for the RX550 I'm not certain but I suspect it would.

Now my hackintosh boots as normal, no black screen and is supported natively.

Hi @UtterDisbelief

Your success with an RX560 may help with my RX550 misssion. Seems the Device ID of the RX560 is 0x67FF which referenced in the AMD9500Controller.kext in High Sierra. The ID may also lay within Sierra 10.12.6 that I'll install in a MacBookPro later today. I've checked all the AMD IOPCIMatch strings in High Sierra and have not seen a Device ID 699F for the RX550 yet Sonnet promises its eGPU product will run an RX550 with built-in drivers in High Sierra. Such drivers do not exist in El Cap. Since my MP 1,1 can only run El Cap so far, I wonder whether it's possible to use AMD kexts from High Sierra?

A possible solution is to splice ID codes into the kext, something I'll try a bit later. Of course there may be issues with the AMD framerate kext etc. I've made an exhaustive search for online info but unsurprisingly such info is geared towards PC based hackintosh (I'll wait a bit later in the week to check out the new 8th gen Intel CPUs before I plan a build. According to my local dealer, the CPUs are due this week but there aren't any new mobos for them yet.)

In the meantime, my struggle continues. While I appreciate an interesting challenge, hints are greatly welcome. Cheers!

Hi @UtterDisbelief

Your success with an RX560 may help with my RX550 misssion. Seems the Device ID of the RX560 is 0x67FF which referenced in the AMD9500Controller.kext in High Sierra. The ID may also lay within Sierra 10.12.6 that I'll install in a MacBookPro later today. I've checked all the AMD IOPCIMatch strings in High Sierra and have not seen a Device ID 699F for the RX550 yet Sonnet promises its eGPU product will run an RX550 with built-in drivers in High Sierra. Such drivers do not exist in El Cap. Since my MP 1,1 can only run El Cap so far, I wonder whether it's possible to use AMD kexts from High Sierra?

A possible solution is to splice ID codes into the kext, something I'll try a bit later. Of course there may be issues with the AMD framerate kext etc. I've made an exhaustive search for online info but unsurprisingly such info is geared towards PC based hackintosh (I'll wait a bit later in the week to check out the new 8th gen Intel CPUs before I plan a build. According to my local dealer, the CPUs are due this week but there aren't any new mobos for them yet.)

In the meantime, my struggle continues. While I appreciate an interesting challenge, hints are greatly welcome. Cheers!

Hi.

Yes, indeed the RX560 0x67FF ID is included in Sierra. You should have no problems there. Like you no doubt, I was intrigued by Apple's Radeon Pro 555 GPU. Is it Polaris 11 (like the 560) or 12 (like the 550). Clearly it's out in the field in the new iMacs so if some kind person who has one could confirm the ID that would help us. I was a bit surprised when the RX 560 showed as a Radeon Pro 560 only because from all I'd read, I was lead to believe Apple used 'bespoke' versions of AMD's chips. Nice to find it was at least close enough to be recognised. But the 555 might be that loose canon.:rolleyes:

I have vague memories of trying 'other version' kexts to solve problems but it never worked for me, and my own codings skills are from an older generation of IT and not up to the task! I recall a system error telling me the kext was unsupported etc.

As for the new Intel CPUS - good idea. I haven't seen much about them. Will they use the 1151 socket again, or something new (or old)?

Hi.

Yes, indeed the RX560 0x67FF ID is included in Sierra. You should have no problems there. Like you no doubt, I was intrigued by Apple's Radeon Pro 555 GPU. Is it Polaris 11 (like the 560) or 12 (like the 550). Clearly it's out in the field in the new iMacs so if some kind person who has one could confirm the ID that would help us. I was a bit surprised when the RX 560 showed as a Radeon Pro 560 only because from all I'd read, I was lead to believe Apple used 'bespoke' versions of AMD's chips. Nice to find it was at least close enough to be recognised. But the 555 might be that loose canon.:rolleyes:

I have vague memories of trying 'other version' kexts to solve problems but it never worked for me, and my own codings skills are from an older generation of IT and not up to the task! I recall a system error telling me the kext was unsupported etc.

As for the new Intel CPUS - good idea. I haven't seen much about them. Will they use the 1151 socket again, or something new (or old)?
Dealer said the new 8th gen Cores from i3 to i7 are still 1151 socketed but their new features can only be fully exploited with the newest x370 chipset mobos with e.g. more PCIe lanes to compete with AMD's latest offerings. That being said, it would appear a major CPU upgrade is in store for all Apple products next year e.g. 6 to 8 core multithreading laptops. So, even I had the money for a new MBPro, I'd avoid buying one just now. Better still, 7nm tech is currently in development for possible release in 2019 across the industry i.e. CPUs, GPUs.

Thanks for the Sierra RX driver info! I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back