Contribute
Register

AMD RX550 might work OOB, anyone want to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
The 2016 MacBook Pro came with the RX450 but the RX450 was never offered in anything else. So there's already drivers for it. I believe the RX550 is just a RX450 with a different name.

Anyone want to give this a try?

It's not the same thing, all Radeon Pro GPUs are Polaris 11 based, the RX 550 is even smaller (Polaris 12). It has a different device ID, so it won't work OOB.

It should be possible to enable it with the known ID spoofs/hacks, but also most likely suffer from the boot to black screen issue.

The 2016 MacBook Pro came with the RX450 but the RX450 was never offered in anything else. So there's already drivers for it. I believe the RX550 is just a RX450 with a different name.

Anyone want to give this a try?

The RX550 is not working for me on Sierra OOB. I am new to Hackintosh so I am sure there is plenty I don't know. I am able to get video through it but its crappy. :-/ If anyone has figured out how to get the driver that would be useful to me. Generic graphics on a Hackintosh isn't pleasing to the eye.

It's not the same thing, all Radeon Pro GPUs are Polaris 11 based, the RX 550 is even smaller (Polaris 12). It has a different device ID, so it won't work OOB.

It should be possible to enable it with the known ID spoofs/hacks, but also most likely suffer from the boot to black screen issue.
Anything new about rx550? I was hoping for it in low profile for HP 8300 SFF. If it's not working than propably I will have to go other low profile GPU but from AMD. For FCPX.

Anything new about rx550? I was hoping for it in low profile for HP 8300 SFF. If it's not working than propably I will have to go other low profile GPU but from AMD. For FCPX.

Honestly, I gave up on AMD. I pulled the RX550 and replaced it with a Nvidia 1050-Ti. In my experience, Nvidia has provided broader support for their products than AMD. Maybe one day that will change...

But for Final Cut Pro X thats a different topic :( Even something like R9 280x will blow away up to 1050Ti cards in export times).

Damn.

My plan was to buy HP 8300 SFF (i5-3570) and low profile rx 550. But then i saw bad recommendations. Then second though was rx460 - same story. Then R7 250x. Also has it's hiccups.
Then...
I changed my mind and opted for 6300/8300 Micro Tower + short normal size GPU like 270x / 280x. But i can't find cards that are shorter than 178 mm :/

UPDATE:
I just saw that Apple really have some love to eGPU with rx580 kit. So maybe... maybe we'll see rx550 too?

Last edited:
Irony here: my RX550 OOB works flawlessly running Win10 64bit in 10-bit 4K at 60fps on my ancient, unmodded, 10 year old MacPro 1,1 with a pair of 5160's @ 3GHz and 6 Gigs of RAM on a Bootcamp partition. No other video card is in the 1,1. Cold boot is handed off directly to the RX550 that shows a few seconds of black screen and blocking artifacts with no Apple logo. Boot continues directly to Win10 in 4K. The RX550 is so power efficient, its fan often doesn't turn at all unless e.g. its using video benchmarking software or running full-screen 4K YouTube video which it does without a bump. In fact the 1,1 that I'd come to know over the years as an NTSC-rendering noisy space heater just a breath away from being tossed into a recycling bin, now runs cool and whisper quiet like a totally new machine. It can even run the Windows demo version of DaVinci Resolve in 4K!

All Win10 features work and all AMD updates for the RX550 are stable. The old beast runs just like a new Win10 native rig and accepts any old PCIe card or USB dongle I try, including devices for which there has only ever been dicey or rudely canceled support under a major upgrade version of OSX e.g. my expensive CalDigit USB3.0 and eSATA PCIe cards that now work again. Wonderful, if running Win10 on a 1,1 is the goal! I installed Win10 to see whether the RX550 could even work on a 1,1 just to prove a point and learned much more than I expected.

Ubuntu Installer recognizes and can use the RX550 but won't install itself on the 1,1 because a message comes up saying the 1,1 is "too old" with no further explanation.

The 1,1 was no longer officially Apple supported by 2010 which left the rather limited OSX 10.7.5 as its final supported OS. As I've proven that an RX550 will run perfectly in 4K on the oldest macpro tower made under Win10 and Ubuntu Installer, I'm hoping Clover or Multibeast etc developers can find settings to get the RX550 to work (hopefully in 4K) in older and newer versions of OSX on all classic MacPro tower platforms. AMD refuses to supply MacOS drivers for the RX550, instead referring users to Apple. As a non-programmer, I'm wondering how much of the work done by the RX550 (not to mention other cards in the Polaris 12 family) is from the firmware on the card itself vs. a driver that is loaded into the computer? Could utilizing an RX550 in an older macpro tower be as easy as playing around with Clover, Multibeast etc. long enough until the correct settings are found?

Last edited:
Irony here: my RX550 OOB works flawlessly running Win10 64bit in 10-bit 4K at 60fps on my ancient, unmodded, 10 year old MacPro 1,1 with a pair of 5160's @ 3GHz and 6 Gigs of RAM on a Bootcamp partition. No other video card is in the 1,1. Cold boot is handed off directly to the RX550 that shows a few seconds of black screen and blocking artifacts with no Apple logo. Boot continues directly to Win10 in 4K. The RX550 is so power efficient, its fan often doesn't turn at all unless e.g. its using video benchmarking software or running full-screen 4K YouTube video which it does without a bump. In fact the 1,1 that I'd come to know over the years as an NTSC-rendering noisy space heater just a breath away from being tossed into a recycling bin, now runs cool and whisper quiet like a totally new machine. It can even run the Windows demo version of DaVinci Resolve in 4K!

All Win10 features work and all AMD updates for the RX550 are stable. The old beast runs just like a new Win10 native rig and accepts any old PCIe card or USB dongle I try, including devices for which there has only ever been dicey or rudely canceled support under a major upgrade version of OSX e.g. my expensive CalDigit USB3.0 and eSATA PCIe cards that now work again. Wonderful, if running Win10 on a 1,1 is the goal! I installed Win10 to see whether the RX550 could even work on a 1,1 just to prove a point and learned much more than I expected.

Ubuntu Installer recognizes and can use the RX550 but won't install itself on the 1,1 because a message comes up saying the 1,1 is "too old" with no further explanation.

The 1,1 was no longer officially Apple supported by 2010 which left the rather limited OSX 10.7.5 as its final supported OS. As I've proven that an RX550 will run perfectly in 4K on the oldest macpro tower made under Win10 and Ubuntu Installer, I'm hoping Clover or Multibeast etc developers can find settings to get the RX550 to work (hopefully in 4K) in older and newer versions of OSX on all classic MacPro tower platforms. AMD refuses to supply MacOS drivers for the RX550, instead referring users to Apple. As a non-programmer, I'm wondering how much of the work done by the RX550 (not to mention other cards in the Polaris 12 family) is from the firmware on the card itself vs. a driver that is loaded into the computer? Could utilizing an RX550 in an older macpro tower be as easy as playing around with Clover, Multibeast etc. long enough until the correct settings are found?

Hi @yummymac

Very interesting. I'm no expert but as far as I can tell the MacPro1,1 system definition was lost from Sierra along with others up to 3,1, which was the most popular sysdef we used for reliability. Certainly AMD cards ran well and didn't suffer from black boot displays once upon a time. Someone told me the new problem is caused by the system trying to initialise the AMD card twice. Something Nvidia cards don't worry about.

Odd but does it seem to imply the GPU problem must be related to the way Clover EFI booting works? Not sure. Can it be fixed? I hope so, but don't know if anybody at Clover HQ is working on it. There's a thread in the Graphics section about just this ...

:)

Last edited:
Hi @yummymac

Very interesting. I'm no expert but as far as I can tell the MacPro1,1 system definition was lost from Sierra along with others up to 3,1, which was the most popular sysdef we used for reliability. Certainly AMD cards ran well and didn't suffer from black boot displays once upon a time. Someone told me the new problem is caused by the system trying to initialise the AMD card twice. Something Nvidia cards don't worry about.

Odd but does it seem to imply the GPU problem must be related to the way Clover EFI booting works? Not sure. Can it be fixed? I hope so, but don't know if anybody at Clover HQ is working on it. There's a thread in the Graphics section about just this ...

Thanks @UtterDisbelief

A rich set of threads indeed! I'll explore them eagerly when I have a chance. I'm also waiting for the release of High Sierra that will have support for the RX550 with an eGPU. There may be hope of extracting an RX550 driver for use in Clover and MultiBeast for older Macs. Strange, the thought of turning a legitimate old Mac into a Hackintosh. HS release date is Sep 25.

Thanks @UtterDisbelief

A rich set of threads indeed! I'll explore them eagerly when I have a chance. I'm also waiting for the release of High Sierra that will have support for the RX550 with an eGPU. There may be hope of extracting an RX550 driver for use in Clover and MultiBeast for older Macs. Strange, the thought of turning a legitimate old Mac into a Hackintosh. HS release date is Sep 25.

Yes, the High Sierra release date is only a week away now.

Well on separate threads here in the Graphics section I've been discussing my changeover from a Nvidia GTX1050 to Radeon RX560, which was less of a problem than I was expecting. Not quite OOB yet, there were hiccups easily overcome with a little help from friends here, research and experimentation. Whether this would translate for the RX550 I'm not certain but I suspect it would.

Now my hackintosh boots as normal, no black screen and is supported natively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back