Contribute
Register

AMD RX550 might work OOB, anyone want to try?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N
CPU
i7-8700K
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
That’s another option I am considering, but I have concerns like if Wi-Fi card is replaceable, especially with Apple one. What I’ve red about Skull Canyon NUC hackintoshing experience wasn’t very promising
This is very compelling because I watched -
and in the video you can see that the WiFi card is removable which is a huge plus - also it has LOTS of io and if you can run the IGPU and dgpu it would be awesome. Plus the 100w version is overclockable!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
This is very compelling...
Yeah that was exactly my thaughts when I saw the removable wireless card. I was just about to make some itx build but this looks very promising so don't know if it's worth to wait month or two or not...what are the odds it would be able to run mac os?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
It will be able to run macOS easily, but getting the Vega graphics working is the big question. I tested another CPU (unsuportted here) with Vega IGPU but it only worked on default apple display drivers. I actually had to spoof the Kaby Lake IGPU Kexts to get it to work decently. If you look at the info.plist for the AMD5000kext there are at least 9 different IDs for Vega cards. Maybe some of these will be for the intel/Vega CPUs. If apple is going to make a new MacMini these would be a great CPU option. Fingers crossed, hope these Vega IGPUs work in macOS.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N
CPU
i7-8700K
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Anyone willing to take the plunge to test it out for the whole group? If not i I might try it and if it doesn't work it'll still be a pretty awesome pc. But I have a good feeling that this might work due to the fact this is an in house product from intel.. I mean it basically a rx 570 on a 8x pcie 3 lane directly connected to the CPU.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
Anyone willing to take the plunge to test it out for the whole group? If not i I might try it and if it doesn't work it'll still be a pretty awesome pc. But I have a good feeling that this might work due to the fact this is an in house product from intel.. I mean it basically a rx 570 on a 8x pcie 3 lane directly connected to the CPU.
At minimum the Kaby Lake HD 630 graphics will work, the unit I tested uses DDR4 memory this Intel has HBM2 built into it so the Vega graphicskexts may work for it. It’s a beta tester for sure but if it works it will be a great little unit.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N
CPU
i7-8700K
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
At minimum the Kaby Lake HD 630 graphics will work, the unit I tested uses DDR4 memory this Intel has HBM2 built into it so the Vega graphicskexts may work for it. It’s a beta tester for sure but if it works it will be a great little unit.
Well I wish that was true but I asked several sales reps at intel and according to them they said that the iGPU does not actually have a video output - its just for video encoding.... So the vega gpu has to work sadly.. Lets hope that the new MBP 15" uses this chip.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170M D3H
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
iMac
Well I wish that was true but I asked several sales reps at intel and according to them they said that the iGPU does not actually have a video output - its just for video encoding.... So the vega gpu has to work sadly.. Lets hope that the new MBP 15" uses this chip.
From what I’ve read on the NUC ( Anandtech) the Vega only kicks in during heavy demand situations and the HD630 runs normal browsing tasks for power efficiency. This would make sense for notebooks and laptops because a full time RX 470 equivalent would burn up precious battery resources.

It also mentions the HD630 helping with decoding to help increase performance of the Vega. I guess we’ll have to wait for someone to get one and test it in MacOS. Fingers crossed.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N
CPU
i7-8700K
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
From what I’ve read on the NUC ( Anandtech) the Vega only kicks in during heavy demand situations and the HD630 runs normal browsing tasks for power efficiency. This would make sense for notebooks and laptops because a full time RX 470 equivalent would burn up precious battery resources.

It also mentions the HD630 helping with decoding to help increase performance of the Vega. I guess we’ll have to wait for someone to get one and test it in MacOS. Fingers crossed.
True I didn’t think of it that way - let’s hope...

Motherboard
Asus DDR4 32GB
CPU
Intel Core i7 6 gen
Graphics
NVIDIA 1060 / AMD Radeon RX 550 Aero ITX MSI
Please i need solution for RX550 4GB in my Hackintosh, i try most method but unsuccessful. I NEED A HELP, PLEASE!