Contribute
Register

AMD RX480 Multi monitor support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used DPCIManager to get more info based on another thread linked here:

DPCIManager seems to say that I have 6 ports, but I'm counting 5 at the back of the card - 2 display ports / 2 HDMI and 1 DVI.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    47.4 KB · Views: 50
The latest update to the nuisance that is the getting all my monitors to work on a supposed “supporter” AMD card.

After booting perfectly with just one monitor for so long, this is what greets me when I try to boot it up now...

I'm still looking for a solution for the 3rd monitor setup.
I've moved to a XFX Radeon RX480. It has 3 display ports. The 3rd monitor is detected, but only displays black screen. I have Lilu and Whatevergreen in my L/ E/ folder and even in the kext folders of the EFI. Still doesn't work.
In addition, I notice there is quite a bit of screen tearing and display lag when the 3rd monitor is plugged in. Not sure what is the reason there.

Your XFX card may work, but they've had a history of non-standard card designs that don't work on Macs. Many Hackintosh users avoid them.
Would you know how to get my 3rd monitor up and running? It still shows a black screen. The other two are fine.
The second issue is the screen tearing when all three are plugged in, like it was missing a driver or something.

Last edited:
Would you know how to get my 3rd monitor up and running? It still shows a black screen. The other two are fine.
The second issue is the screen tearing when all three are plugged in, like it was missing a driver or something.

Sadly, No. I haven't had any issue with 3 DisplayPort based monitors. I run an HD-QHD-HD trio on an MSI RX580 card.

Sadly, No. I haven't had any issue with 3 DisplayPort based monitors. I run an HD-QHD-HD trio on an MSI RX580 card.
Does your system boot using UEFI or Legacy?
In my search for a solution, I noticed that one user said that he switched his motherboard to complete UEFI instead of both UEFI + Legacy and that worked for him in getting 3 monitors.
Even though my current mainboard supports UEFI, it doesn't work for booting Clover and MacOS. I always have to use Legacy. Maybe that is the reason. Perhaps I should change my mainboard to a proper UEFI board and do it that way.

Does your system boot using UEFI or Legacy?
In my search for a solution, I noticed that one user said that he switched his motherboard to complete UEFI instead of both UEFI + Legacy and that worked for him in getting 3 monitors.
Even though my current mainboard supports UEFI, it doesn't work for booting Clover and MacOS. I always have to use Legacy. Maybe that is the reason. Perhaps I should change my mainboard to a proper UEFI board and do it that way.

UEFI.

I have a couple of older boards I support for cousins, son. I had to go to UEFI to get everything working even through they were beta UEFI BIOS. If you can get UEFI BIOS, try to work through it for your board. If not, Get try to get a used Z68 Gigabyte motherboard. Their Beta UEFI BIOS work very well with Mojave. If going for a new motherboard, consult the guide. I've had great luck with the

GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI -- Reburbished for $105

Be careful about updating the BIOS on the motherboard. The latest BIOS requires special settings in Clover (I have not updated due to this). Many of the Z370 and Z390 motherboards have problems with latest BIOS. Something about an Intel patch (security?).

The i3-8350K will give you better performance than the best Z68 CPU for $170 (Amazon)

You will also have to buy newer memory.

You should already have a wifi/bluetooth card, but the Fenvi FV-T919 for $60 at newegg works great if you need it.

I guess
UEFI.

I have a couple of older boards I support for cousins, son. I had to go to UEFI to get everything working even through they were beta UEFI BIOS. If you can get UEFI BIOS, try to work through it for your board. If not, Get try to get a used Z68 Gigabyte motherboard. Their Beta UEFI BIOS work very well with Mojave. If going for a new motherboard, consult the guide. I've had great luck with the

GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI -- Reburbished for $105

Be careful about updating the BIOS on the motherboard. The latest BIOS requires special settings in Clover (I have not updated due to this). Many of the Z370 and Z390 motherboards have problems with latest BIOS. Something about an Intel patch (security?).

The i3-8350K will give you better performance than the best Z68 CPU for $170 (Amazon)

You will also have to buy newer memory.

You should already have a wifi/bluetooth card, but the Fenvi FV-T919 for $60 at newegg works great if you need it.
I guess we hit the nail on the head with what my issue is. It is UEFI booting and my boards only have the early versions of it.
I'm currently using a i5 Sandy Bridge processor. According to my brother the Gigabyte Z77 or Asus Z77 boards will support my processor as well as give me full UEFI booting. So all that I would need is to change the board.
I guess I'll look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back