Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
I picked up a PowerColor AMD RX 590 Red Devil and it works! Device ID in Clover is listed as 0x67DF1002. The card list in about this Mac as "Radeon Polaris". Good news for those looking to upgrade from older R9 series cards or older.

Benchmarks are definitely higher and during the benches the backplate was warm but not really hot so cooling seems to be working well for this card.

***Update: Zlei tested a Sapphire RX 590 and it didn't work. However kikkerr4 tested the RX 590 Nitro+ and it is working, I am testing a XFX RX 590 Fatboy and it is not working either. It looks like PowerColor and Sapphire Nitro+ are the only compatible cards listed working so far.

Update 2: I edited the WEG kext to show RX 590 instead of Polaris. To test use lilu and WEG kexts and determine what RX your system determines. RX 480 or RX 580 etc... Next switch out the WEG kext provided below that matches your definition.
WEG RX 590 .zip

RX 590 About this Mac.png

RX 590 OPENGL GEEKBENCH.png

RX 590 Vaslley Extreme.png

RX 590 Geekbench Compute.png

Attachments

• Polaris 30 PowerColor Quiet mode.rar
    108 KB · Views: 513
  • Polaris 30 Powercolor RX 590 OC mode.zip
    110.5 KB · Views: 488
  • WEG RX 590 .zip
    369.6 KB · Views: 1,785
Last edited:
interesting!!!! so we are expecting that Apple will release newer model with Radeon Pro 590~

Heh, yeah that would make sense. With the Macbook Air and Mac Mini refreshed, I'm guessing we'll see the 590 as an option in whenever they release the regular iMac refreshes (not iMac Pro). Currently the regular ones max out with the 580.

As it works OOO as Gigamaxx described, I may choose RX 590 unless the price RX 580 significantly drops.

As it works OOO as Gigamaxx described, I may choose RX 590 unless the price RX 580 significantly drops.

As long as you are using Mojave, High Sierra really drops performance to below a RX 560 level. The Mojave beta drivers for this card work great, fans work well and on quiet mode this card is silent. However, there is increased power requirement.

As long as you are using Mojave, High Sierra really drops performance to below a RX 560 level. The Mojave beta drivers for this card work great, fans work well and on quiet mode this card is silent. However, there is increased power requirement.
It is what I am considering as RX 590 consumes much more power, but the prices of RX 580 and RX 590 are now almost identical here.

Nice test. Does H.264 and HEVC encode and/or decode work on this card (e.g. with FCPX or Quicktime) or does it still use the IGPU ?

Nice test. Does H.264 and HEVC encode and/or decode work on this card (e.g. with FCPX or Quicktime) or does it still use the IGPU ?

No at least not with the app I have. It uses the CPU, no IGPU enabled in BIOS but it works. VideoProc

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 3.16.44 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back