i7 8700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
My hardware is pretty ok now. The next step is a new GPU.
I mainly use my machine for video and audio post production.
I want less complication in a stable High Sierra installation without too many patches and fixes, I heard that Rx 580 is great for that matter. I have already a `native´ GPU (GTX 760) but I still have some problems with its ability to use CUDA, some screen glitches here and there and OpenCL working okay, but not great (with some crashes in Adobe suit).

My question is, do I need to get a Sapphire Rx 580 Pulse or any other brand is fine as well?
I have a good opportunity to get a Gigabyte Rx 580 Gaming for a good price, does anyone already tested it with High Sierra?

My setup:
H370N-WIFI (with a crazy adapter for the new CNVi-Wifi to BCM94360CS2)
i7 8700
GTX760
16Gb 2400Mhz
SSD 10.13.5 High Sierra
SSD Windows 10
PSU 650W

Cheers guys!

I used whatevergreen to get all ports working on my gigabyte gaming 8g. Card works great with little to no fuss.

If you read some of the postings on this site it seems that XFX is not a good choice because they use a custom bios. Apparently you can burn a sapphire bios on to the XFX card but that doesn't seem to be the end of the problems. I'm looking for an AMD card myself. Personally I'm going to stick to the brand names that seem to have success from what I read on this site and a couple others. I think Sapphire and Gigabyte are good choices. Asus may also work. I have an Gigabyte Z370N WiFi ITX motherboard and I'm considering the MSI Radeon RX 560 AERO ITX 4G OC but I don't find a lot about it wrt Hackintoshes

If you read some of the postings on this site it seems that XFX is not a good choice because they use a custom bios. Apparently you can burn a sapphire bios on to the XFX card but that doesn't seem to be the end of the problems. I'm looking for an AMD card myself.

The XFX RX580 is officially supported as an eGPU by Apple. That's why they're in the current buyer's guide.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/july/2018/#(NEW)_AMD_Graphics_Cards

The XFX RX560s do have problems with the vBIOS and macOS so those should be avoided. Use other brands than XFX if you want a 560.

Kevin was only asking about the RX580s not the 560s. So your answer could be misleading. The XFX RX580 can be used.
My question is, do I need to get a Sapphire Rx 580 Pulse or any other brand is fine as well?

If the price of the Sapphire Pulse is lower, I would definitely choose that over the XFX brand even though both will work.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I decided to go with the Sapphire Pulse, less stress is better for the mind! Also, I finally found one in a local store! :beachball: Hackintosh is hard to get everything perfect. It's nice to have such a community for so long! :clap:<3

Nothing like the OOB compatibility of the GTX 760 and now the RX 580 ! Good choices !

@trs96 Thanks for the clarification on the XFX cards. Much appreciated. I'm still debating on the 560 or 580. Turns out that I'll need a better power supply before I invest which mean a new case. Moral of the story. if your thinking about getting a GPU don't cheap out on the case. I did and regret it. lol

@KevinAgnes I think Sapphire is a good way to go. I may go that way too.

Hi @KevinAgnes. The case is a cheap one ($30) from newegg and came with a really noisy 250 watt TFX PSU.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811128091 I wouldn't really recommend this case to any one. I was trying to do it on the cheap and I got what I paid for. :( After this I'm thinking I may just go for something like a Streacom DB4 there's a black one that look really cool. But they are really pricey not including the PSU. So I may go for something different. I need the case so I can get the proper PSU for it. I don't want something huge (like some of the fractal design) after all its a ITX. :) I'd like to get a 600 maybe 700 watt PSU. Which PSU do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back