Contribute
Register

AMD RX 4XX graphics cards in Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
but if i will buy a rx 480 now how will it work on mac os ? how do i get it working? what about the rx 460? if i use it with an nvidia card (gtx 980 ti) will it work to give me hw acceleration on final cut? i want a setup with hw acceleration for apple apps and cuda support for other apps like photoshop

but if i will buy a rx 480 now how will it work on mac os ? how do i get it working? what about the rx 460? if i use it with an nvidia card (gtx 980 ti) will it work to give me hw acceleration on final cut? i want a setup with hw acceleration for apple apps and cuda support for other apps like photoshop

If you buy a 460 it should work without any fixes (gigabyte, sapphire RX 460). The RX 480 will require either a fake ID in clover graphics settings (actually under devices) or 4100kext modification. Users with x99 boards have been using Nvidia and RX cards for awhile and they work.

thank you for the answer, i want to use both gfx cards (rx 480, gtx 980 ti) in my 4770k build, for both gaming (on windows) and rendering (cuda + open cl on mac os),but are 750w enough for a the psu to handle both cards? i have the corsair rm750i, currently with the gtx 960, but i want to buy both cards used to do the upgrade

The Polaris cards are being partially supported in Sierra right now, and more good news is on the horizon for RX 480 owners. I downloaded the latest Beta 10.12.1 which will probably be an update coming soon for the public, and the AMD4000kext that we were using in testing is still there however the FB we were using Baffin was moved to a new AMD4100kext. I successfully used the device ID change from 67EO1002 to 67DF1002 we have been using prior in Baffin (4100kext) and the fix works, in fact I'm running great benchmarks one the lowest possible settings and stability has improved 150%. I was able to run benchmarks on high and ultra high settings before in 10.12.0 but it would crash and never complete a benchmark on low-med settings. (see "Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra" in the Sierra Installation Guides section to learn how to get your RX card working).

We have been able to get a few brands and models of Polaris cards running well in Sierra and have a compatibility list so far.

RX 480 cards
1). XFX AMD RX 480 8gb reference model, also aftermarket multi fan models.
2). Sapphire RX 480 8gb nitro, and reference model (single fan).
3). Powercooler Red Devil RX480 8gb.
4). Asus RX 480 Strix model 8gb.
5). MSI RX 480 8gb.

RX 470 cards
1). MSI RX 470 4gb Gaming. "Beautiful card IMO". ran smooth early on in testing and feels very solid and well made.
2). Sapphire RX 470 8gb Nitro. Runs smoothly, smaller and lighter in comparison to MSI good for small builds.

RX 460 cards
Gigabyte RX 460 2gb Both of these cards have no 6pin power connector and run solely off the pie slot @ 75 watts.
Gigabyte RX 460 4gb The 4gb model blew the doors off the 2gb for $15-$20 more its a value. great for mini itx.
Note: These Gigabyte cards worked without changing anything in the Sierra kext and no special injections very near OOB support. Set IGFX or IGPU to primary display output in bios and they work. This IGPU requirement is affecting other AMD cards as well in Sierra.

If anyone has cards that are working for them in Sierra now that are not listed please chime in and I'll update the list.
There may also be changes made by apple that allow any brand or model in the future but for now there have been some cards that I personally have not been able to get running and after each test with those I tried my control (working cards) to make sure it wasn't just settings or some other issue.

Heres a list of cards that I did not get to work in Sierra Beta.

RX 480 cards
Gigabyte RX 480 8 gb Gaming.

RX 460 cards
Asus RX 460 4gb w/6pin power connector.
XFX RX 460 4gb w/6pin power connector.

If anyone has one of these cards working now please chime in. These were tested over a month long period or so and changes were made to Sierra (updates) after testing some of these cards.

Hi Gigamaxx

I am new to the hackintosh world
I have gigabyte x170 hd3 running I5 6500.
Using a sapphire rx 470 8 gig and onboard hd530.
I'm running Sierra 10.12.2
FCP X 10.2.3 runs no problem but 10.3.1 crashes when starting new project.
I have taken out the and rx470 and fcpx 10.3,1 runs fine with the onboard hd530.
The AMD RX470 is accelerated as per your method.
Davinci resolve also works fine with the rx470
Do you think this issue is driver related on the OS X behalf
Your input would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back