Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 Arous Gaming 7 WiFi
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
The Polaris cards are being partially supported in Sierra right now, and more good news is on the horizon for RX 480 owners. I downloaded the latest Beta 10.12.1 which will probably be an update coming soon for the public, and the AMD4000kext that we were using in testing is still there however the FB we were using Baffin was moved to a new AMD4100kext. I successfully used the device ID change from 67EO1002 to 67DF1002 we have been using prior in Baffin (4100kext) and the fix works, in fact I'm running great benchmarks one the lowest possible settings and stability has improved 150%. I was able to run benchmarks on high and ultra high settings before in 10.12.0 but it would crash and never complete a benchmark on low-med settings. (see "Enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in Sierra" in the Sierra Installation Guides section to learn how to get your RX card working).

We have been able to get a few brands and models of Polaris cards running well in Sierra and have a compatibility list so far.

RX 480 cards
1). XFX AMD RX 480 8gb reference model, also aftermarket multi fan models.
2). Sapphire RX 480 8gb nitro, and reference model (single fan).
3). Powercooler Red Devil RX480 8gb.
4). Asus RX 480 Strix model 8gb.
5). MSI RX 480 8gb.

RX 470 cards
1). MSI RX 470 4gb Gaming. "Beautiful card IMO". ran smooth early on in testing and feels very solid and well made.
2). Sapphire RX 470 8gb Nitro. Runs smoothly, smaller and lighter in comparison to MSI good for small builds.

RX 460 cards
Gigabyte RX 460 2gb Both of these cards have no 6pin power connector and run solely off the pie slot @ 75 watts.
Gigabyte RX 460 4gb The 4gb model blew the doors off the 2gb for $15-$20 more its a value. great for mini itx.
Note: These Gigabyte cards worked without changing anything in the Sierra kext and no special injections very near OOB support. Set IGFX or IGPU to primary display output in bios and they work. This IGPU requirement is affecting other AMD cards as well in Sierra.

If anyone has cards that are working for them in Sierra now that are not listed please chime in and I'll update the list.
There may also be changes made by apple that allow any brand or model in the future but for now there have been some cards that I personally have not been able to get running and after each test with those I tried my control (working cards) to make sure it wasn't just settings or some other issue.

Heres a list of cards that I did not get to work in Sierra Beta.

RX 480 cards
Gigabyte RX 480 8 gb Gaming.

RX 460 cards
Asus RX 460 4gb w/6pin power connector.
XFX RX 460 4gb w/6pin power connector.

If anyone has one of these cards working now please chime in. These were tested over a month long period or so and changes were made to Sierra (updates) after testing some of these cards.

Last edited:
I have Asus RX 480 Strix and Sierra 10.12.beta1 installed - but no acceleration so far. I tried to use FakeId but it is not enough - I can do some checks

I have Asus RX 480 Strix and Sierra 10.12.beta1 installed - but no acceleration so far. I tried to use FakeId but it is not enough - I can do some checks

Go to your top menu bar and select go, scroll down to computer. Select disk that Sierra is on and click it you should see applications, EFI backups, Library and System. Click on system, then click on library, click extensions, look for AMD4100kext. Single click it and go to the gear or tools symbol in the tool bar. Scroll down to show package contents and select. Open the folder and remove info.plist to desktop. Open info plist by single clicking and go to top tool bar -file, choose "open with ---- text editor. You may have to scroll through all your apps to find it. When it's open look for the Baffin Framebuffer device codes about 2 paragraphs down. Find the 0x67EO1002 67FF1002 67EF1002 and change the 67EO1002 to 67DF1002. Go to file on top tool bar and click save. Replace the info.plist back into folder and follow permission prompts. After prompts use Kextwizzard or some other kext tool to fix permissions. Restart and check the file by following the same process with out changing anything, you can leave the info.plist in the contents folder and open it from there to see if the change worked.

I just did and Hooray! it works - metal supported. Thanks!

Remember to change the kext back to original form before any iTunes or software updates. It will get flagged for repair. If you change it back and do the update you can redo the fix and all is good until next update.

This method worked for me and the Reference RX 480 by Sapphire. System report reads all 8GB of the memory.

My only issue is that it isn't loading web pages properly. I have to hover my mouse for elements to load in Safari. I am unsure if this is a Sierra issue or an issue with the graphics card.

This method worked for me and the Reference RX 480 by Sapphire. System report reads all 8GB of the memory.

My only issue is that it isn't loading web pages properly. I have to hover my mouse for elements to load in Safari. I am unsure if this is a Sierra issue or an issue with the graphics card.

try injecting 19120001 for fake ID intel and see if you get the SKL CRB intel.
Safari is having issues for 4600 and 530 from what I've heard. Also, you may want to increase dedicated ram for the ogpu in bios settings. You could get SKL CRB 1536 mb graphics which should help with safari issues.

try injecting 19120001 for fake ID intel and see if you get the SKL CRB intel.
Safari is having issues for 4600 and 530 from what I've heard. Also, you may want to increase dedicated ram for the ogpu in bios settings. You could get SKL CRB 1536 mb graphics which should help with safari issues.

I did get the SKL CRB for when I use a DVI cable from the board to my monitor. Thank you.

Even on the RX 480, the problem with Safari persists. I've taken to using Chrome for now. I'll also post the results on the Unigine Heaven for others who have the Sapphire Reference card.

Hey, everyone.

Has anyone tried to update to 10.12.1? Any special steps aside from the guide published here?

Has anyone noticed improvements in performance?

Thanks!

RX driver support is much better in this version versus the original release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back