CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I found out today the new AMD Radeon RX 580 & RX 570 has been Released!
Will these work with Hackintosh? Did Apple update drivers in new update?
Will wait on testing & word back before purchasing! deff interested in buying this asap to match my Freesync monitor and update my ancient GPU (Radeon HD 6850)

So I found out today the new AMD Radeon RX 580 & RX 570 has been Released!
Will these work with Hackintosh? Did Apple update drivers in new update?
Will wait on testing & word back before purchasing! deff interested in buying this asap to match my Freesync monitor and update my ancient GPU (Radeon HD 6850)

The drivers are there and the 12.5 version 3 beta added more Ellesmere entries. The ID is the same 0x67DF1002 so they should work as well or better than the 480s. I'm waiting for a XFX or Saphire model at my local parts stores before jumping in for testing. All they had was a few MSI models which may be troublesome to activate AMD get acceleration.
XFX, Saphire, Powercooler are the easy 480 models to get working with very basic fixes so if you see one of those models go with them for now.

I've been thinking of upgrading from my GTX970. Just saw chart which showed the RX 480 beating the 1080 Ti in FCP & Premiere - apps I use the most.

At $250, the 580 seems great. But how much of a headache over the Nvidia cards is it going to be to get running? I've done a little reading... Is it realistic that I could have it running on 10.12.4 an hour after plugging it in?

Last edited:
You have an X99, the newer AMD cards in Sierra require integrated or CPU graphics to initiate the RX Cards as well as R9 300 series. However, many X99 users have been able to use a helper gpu as an IGPU replacement. I've tested with a Nvidia 8400gt 2gb and my RX 460 and 480 with CPU (integrated graphics) or IGPU disabled. It works, I've only seen one user that can't get it to work on a X99 system. You could probably use your 970 as a helper card but power requirements may be an issue so it can also be done with most inexpensive or spare cards you may have. Even if it gets display 7mb in about this Mac it is enough to get the RX cards to work.

RX 480s that have many successful users in sierra are XFX, Saphire, and Powercooler. Other brands have been reported working but the big three are the most popular and the easiest to get acceleration.

After an update (I'm in the beta program) it takes me about 3-5 minutes to have my RX 480 back to max performance. I do all manual edits to the kexts rather than use clover injection methods. I make the kext edits once per update. About once a week. As of 12.5 version three it's still,working.

If your familiar with Xcode and iHex it's relatively easy to get maximum support. Below are Sierra 12.5 v3 Geekbench Graphics compute and Dual RX 480s with a pentium g3258 haswell. The 580 should be able to meet or beat this by about 5-15% which is great for a $250 Graphics Card. This is a reference model XFX RX 480 @ 1288mhz.

Geekbench 12.5 v3.png
12.4 v7 Luxmark 29000.png

Last edited:
Thanks, Gigamaxx!

Here's the video that lead me to this thread:
Start at 4:15

What the video doesn't show is effects while editing. I'm assuming you edit. Does your dual setup accelerate your effects sufficiently while editing? Do you use Premiere or FCP?

I haven't used either Xcode or iHex; I have edited kexts, plists, etc. But I am a little hesitant because I've been in Hackintosh hell in the past. Things have been pretty smooth recently.

I guess Nvidia will improve their drivers. That might be enough for me. Who knows.

I want an efficient and inexpensive upgrade, but I'm not sure I'm 100% comfortable with the process at this point. Still reading ;)

Last edited:
Will the RX series ever have native support?

Will the RX series ever have native support?

They do actually, but it is different from before. It started in El Capitan with the IGPU requirement and persists in Sierra for late model AMD cards. My Gigabyte RX 460 only needs the igpu as primary display output setting to work. The 470 and 480 require kext edits or clover injections. The native drivers are there they just don't work the same for hacks as they do for real Macs. Real Macs use AppleEFI and we need to use UEFI. The Clover developers are trying to make them work in dedicated graphics mode but so far Ave not been able to fix it.

Nvidia has seperate drivers so they run totally different than the AMD cards of recent vintage. It would be nice if AMD wrote new (seperate) drivers for Macs that would make it work but it seems they only give apple their existing open gl and CL drivers and let Apple configure them.

Thanks, Gigamaxx!

Here's the video that lead me to this thread:
Start at 4:15

What the video doesn't show is effects while editing. I'm assuming you edit. Does your dual setup accelerate your effects sufficiently while editing? Do you use Premiere or FCP?

I haven't used either Xcode or iHex; I have edited kexts, plists, etc. But I am a little hesitant because I've been in Hackintosh hell in the past. Things have been pretty smooth recently.

I guess Nvidia will improve their drivers. That might be enough for me. Who knows.

I want an efficient and inexpensive upgrade, but I'm not sure I'm 100% comfortable with the process at this point. Still reading ;)

Use search and look up " enabling AMD RX 4XX cards in sierra". As long as you save all your kext folders before making the changes you can always go back. The biggest mistake is not using kext wizard before rebooting.

They do actually, but it is different from before. It started in El Capitan with the IGPU requirement and persists in Sierra for late model AMD cards. My Gigabyte RX 460 only needs the igpu as primary display output setting to work. The 470 and 480 require kext edits or clover injections. The native drivers are there they just don't work the same for hacks as they do for real Macs. Real Macs use AppleEFI and we need to use UEFI. The Clover developers are trying to make them work in dedicated graphics mode but so far Ave not been able to fix it.

Nvidia has seperate drivers so they run totally different than the AMD cards of recent vintage. It would be nice if AMD wrote new (seperate) drivers for Macs that would make it work but it seems they only give apple their existing open gl and CL drivers and let Apple configure them.

Ah! So there is still hope that the clover team will be able to make them work in dedicated graphics mode!

Ah! So there is still hope that the clover team will be able to make them work in dedicated graphics mode!

It has a lot to do with Apple as well. If they start to write code for Mac Pro setups we may get lucky. Right now they are for Laptop graphics acceleration with IGPU as big part of the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back