Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 580 & RX 570 Released!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi on my real Mac Pro 5,1 2010 running 10.12.6. I just installed a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 4GB version. No Boot screen. Login screen works as normal. Is recognised as "AMD R9 xxx 4096 MB" Metal is Supported, All resolutions over DP work on my 27" Dell Screen (No Audio over DP yet). Lux Bench Score 13794 - Geekbench 4 OpenCL test 132695. Blows the original 5770 away. System Profile can't display PCI tab as says error gathering information. Am going to download and test 10.13 beta soon. All 36 GPU units are recognised but no idea if the PCIE bus is running at half 2.5 or full 5G link speed.

**Update macOS High Sierra Beta - PCI profile is now readable and confirms 2.5 Link Speed. Card is still recognised as a "AMD R9 xxx" but all benchmark apps show "RX 580 Compute Engine"

Do you have any furthr experiecne ? anything works ?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
I'm looking to buy a RX580, someone tried it with Bruce X ? I'm still looking to buy this one or a GTX1060...

its a beast, clocked my hackintosh with 12,5 seconds in fcpx bruce test

Any updates or guides for getting a RX580 running smooth with FCPX?

Or is it as simple as running 10.12.6 or higher and having Lilu & WhateverGreen kext in the 'kexts>10.12' folder?

I have the Asus Z170 Maximus Hero VIII Kaby Lake processor and bought the XFX RX580 8GB version. As described it boots up to dark screen until it reaches the desktop or if you login to the login screen. I am getting performance issues, acceleration is enabled but extremely slow performance. Latest Clover with Init=true and the patch kext floating around, maybe its the kext I should try fakeID or editing the kext in /S/L/E. No difference if I use Lilu/green instead of Clover init.

Will the Sapphire Pulse that Apple uses in their eGPU development kit work OOB or could I get the same performance issue?

Even with IPGU enabled as primary I only see the Bios Post but never see Clover boot screen just dark until it reaches the desktop, not sure if this is because its the XFX and the Sapphire will show the clover boot screen or not?

I have the Asus Z170 Maximus Hero VIII Kaby Lake processor and bought the XFX RX580 8GB version. As described it boots up to dark screen until it reaches the desktop or if you login to the login screen. I am getting performance issues, acceleration is enabled but extremely slow performance. Latest Clover with Init=true and the patch kext floating around, maybe its the kext I should try fakeID or editing the kext in /S/L/E. No difference if I use Lilu/green instead of Clover init.

Will the Sapphire Pulse that Apple uses in their eGPU development kit work OOB or could I get the same performance issue?

Even with IPGU enabled as primary I only see the Bios Post but never see Clover boot screen just dark until it reaches the desktop, not sure if this is because its the XFX and the Sapphire will show the clover boot screen or not?
Not sure about XFX. I have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB and works great.
The ports are slightly different. For XFX, Dayman framebuffer is the closest match. I use Orinoco.

Not much effort to get 10.13.2 (essential) going initially (remove any patch kext, fakeid, etc):
1. in BIOS: Disable CSM, Enable PCIE as Primary, Disable IGPU
2. in Clover: Graphics/RadeonDeInit=Yes, Inject ATI=Yes, FBName=Dayman, VideoPorts=5
3. attach your monitor to any of the XFX ports

That will get you BIOS/Clover boot screen and boot macOS and get login screen.
Once you get there, check the performance and if OK, you can then refine it for HDMI audio & board name display.

@Gigamaxx does not recommend XFX. This card is the most problematic card on ATI side.

@Gigamaxx does not recommend XFX. This card is the most problematic card on ATI side.

This is true for XFX RX 460-560 cards. The Polaris 10 or RX470-580 cards work good. Only the Polaris 11-12 cards from XFX are incompatible.

I have 2 XFX RX 480s that have worked great since Sierra 12.1 or October of 2016.

Not sure about XFX. I have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB and works great.
The ports are slightly different. For XFX, Dayman framebuffer is the closest match. I use Orinoco.

Not much effort to get 10.13.2 (essential) going initially (remove any patch kext, fakeid, etc):
1. in BIOS: Disable CSM, Enable PCIE as Primary, Disable IGPU
2. in Clover: Graphics/RadeonDeInit=Yes, Inject ATI=Yes, FBName=Dayman, VideoPorts=5
3. attach your monitor to any of the XFX ports

That will get you BIOS/Clover boot screen and boot macOS and get login screen.
Once you get there, check the performance and if OK, you can then refine it for HDMI audio & board name display.

I took it back not worth the trouble but would have loved to have tried those settings before I did take it back. All of my many nvidia GFX cards all work natively without Web drivers but I do not have any GFX cards beyond GTX 770. Just the EVGA's 760 but mostly 770's 4GB all work satisfactory some 640's, 740's GT210's.

I am just going to get the Vega which works OOB according to some threads I read not sure about OOB though? Which would be the best vega card to get for near 100% OOB?

Last edited:
I am just going to get the Vega which works OOB according to some threads I read not sure about OOB though? Which would be the best vega card to get for near 100% OOB?
To OOB = plug-n-play; no drivers to add, no settings to tweak; no special treatment on updates.

None of the new AMD cards work OOB. But they are close. My RX580 can be made to work with a few settings & patches in Clover. Same with the Vega. But Vega has some issues with the fans not being power-managed at the moment. Search these forums.

Actually, Vega is the only card that doesn't need anything, no rad de initiate, no lilu or whatever green. It will run on High Sierra without any clover patching or ATI settings needed. But the fans do run at high speed probably due to the iMac Vega 56 having only heat pipes and 2 system fans. It seems to treat the card fan as a system fan so it is not really synched soley with the GPU temps. My Vega 64 temps never go above 84C during heavy use and idle at 24C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back