Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I had previously been using a GTX 660 in my Hackintosh running a 4k monitor @ 60hz over DisplayPort. I then purchased a GTX 1070 which I have not been able to get working due to lack of drivers. I am thinking of swapping the 1070 for an RX 480 as I would like to use the Hackintosh again rather than Windows, can anyone confirm if they have managed to get this card working stable now? would I be able to use this card over DisplayPort for 4k @ 60hz? and without having to use the igpu.

Thanks

From all I've read so far the past weeks there's no way to get the RX-480 (or 460/470) to work without using the iGPU. (which I don't have)
So far I have tried everything and no joy, always booting to black screen. At the moment I'm looking at the Clover sources to no big avail, it's a complex codebase.

OK thanks, I do have iGPU on my i7 but would I have to swap cables if I wanted to dual boot with Windows?

I have two Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB. One is in a X16 and the other 8X. My 8X does not work. I have to pull the power on X8 before booting into Hackintosh. Maybe this would explain my issue.

So I have been able to get it to work by using the X16 slot and an X4 slot. I had to move a PCI storage SSD up to the 8x slot. The result is that the 16 throttles down to 8, but the RX480 still works. The second RX480 works in the X4 slot. My luxmark scores are approximately 22k, which is acceptable. Unfortunately I now have an FCP crashing issue. But ... everything else works. And I dare say even Adobe premiere using OpenCL is faster than the 980ti using cuda ...

Hi,
I need some help.
I have two graphic cards.HD7850 and RX480.I have two monitors. 2K connect to rx480,and the other connect hd7850 as igpu.
I use FCPX,then I use ctrl+command+f to enter full screen.When I use Command+Tab,the system is dead.I have to restart computer.
What's wrong?
Sorry my bad english.

Happy 480 RX user here: specifically, MSI's 8GB Gaming X model.

I followed the instructions, and used my old radeon card (6870) in the 8x pci slot to boot. Works a charm, only issue I've noticed is a graphics bug in Civ VI, but I suspect that's just because it's a fresh port.

Thank you very much to the power users who figured this all out!

p.s. @aunret, have you tried plugging both monitors into the RX 480 after log in and seeing if the issue still presents?

tomascokis that is the one I would like to get. Do you have to boot with your old card then change the monitor cable to the new one?

Thanks for reporting this actually works. I think the crucial step (which you didn't mention) is disabling CSM, which (at least on my system) causes initialization of the Radeon GPU, even if no display is connected. It might also not work on other UEFI implementations, this might be vendor specific.

I'm very sure by now that all AMD Radeon related issues at the moment (sleep/wake and boot to black screen) are caused solely by the UEFI video subsystem and nothing else. Using a iGPU or a 2nd dGPU are easy workarounds but not the real deal. No one found the real cause of trouble yet, but we're getting closer.

Sorry @Fl0r!an but I think the crucial step is enabling CSM, or am I wrong? you have to disable the UEFI boot part of BIOS and the related subsystem devices (among which there is GPU) to make it boot in legacy mode so that the GraphicsOutputProtocol is correctly initialised as Pike Alpha is also buzzing about ...

So I followed these steps earlier and I don't think it's working quite like it should.

I have the Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480. I can start up using my on board graphics card, but it won't let me switch it to my PCIE card. The initial Mac loading screen appears and then randomly my computer just restarts. It works on my Windows drive though. Any help please?! Thanks everyone!

So the error that I'm actually getting is this:

Debugger called: </Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/GPUIDriversIntel/GPUDriversIntel-10.20.25/Common/IONDRV/Intel/IVB/AppleIntelFramebuffer/AppleIntelController.cpp:13897 Assertion failed: (0 == I) ((pfbInfo->rangeStolen.physBase - pfbInfoPrev->rangeStolen.physBase) == fFramebufferMemorySize)

DSMOS has arrived

HID: Legacy shim 2

>

Ethernet MAC address: 00:00:00:00:00:00

IP address: 0.0.0.0

Waiting for remote debugger connection.

kdp_poll: no debugger device

I can startup w/ my on board god which is the Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB, but I can't startup my computer w/out that error if I try to use my PCIE graphics card(RX 480) to start up with...anybody know what I need to do?! =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back