Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
I successfully got a stable Sierra 10.12.1 running on a Z97X+4790K, with a PowerColor RX 480. One thing though, in Energy Saver-- if I set the Display Sleep option, then I get "color pixel snow" on wake up. I can see the graphics enough to sign in. The screen will go back to normal when I click on the Apple menu and click Sleep and immediately wake with a press of the keyboard. This is running through the DVI port, I need to purchase a DP cable to see if it's giving me the same symptom. Other than that little annoyance, it's running stable.

I hope my description isn't confusing.

So atm is the RX 480 working with full acceleration?

But my important question is, does it work with 5k monitor? The default kext can drive my monitor just fine, snappy and accelerated?

But my important question is, does it work with 5k monitor? The default kext can drive my monitor just fine, snappy and accelerated?

What is the default kext? Do you mean the AMD Framebuffer, or your Intel graphics?

yes, there is full acceleration. But at the moment the kext is not optimised, so performance are around 10/15% less than what you could get with the same GPU under Windows.
NO 5K support at the moment. I tried in every way without success. Which monitor 5K do you have?

yes, there is full acceleration. But at the moment the kext is not optimised, so performance are around 10/15% less than what you could get with the same GPU under Windows.
NO 5K support at the moment. I tried in every way without success. Which monitor 5K do you have?

Are you trying DisplayPort cable. I heard the HDMI port will not handle it but the DisplayPort and the RX are supposed to handle 5k @60hz.

If you run a benchmark like Unigine valley with Windows using igpu as primary and open gl format you will get a very close benchmark. Windows using the same parameters as used in OS will have a 0% advantage. If you run a Windows benchmark using directX 11, 12 and dedicated graphics mode for the RX 480 card your comparing apples to oranges because apple is limited to open gl format. Then you get 10-15% advantage, but it's due to dedicated graphics and directX driver capabilities. Open CL is where Apple could use some improvement in their drivers, but open gl is eye to eye color mparatively.

I don't think anyone has achieved to drive a dual cable 5K display with an AMD GPU in OS X so far. There must be a similar switch like "nv-spanmodepolicy" for Nvidia cards, but no one found it so far.

Would be interesting to see how a 5K single cable DP 1.3 display behaves, but I don't think any have been released so far.

I have Dell 27" 5k dual display port.
I was hoping that could be possible to have 5k because of new iMac, and because of nvidia 1070 for example works 5k without problems, but also without acceleration for now.

I have Dell 27" 5k dual display port.
I was hoping that could be possible to have 5k because of new iMac, and because of nvidia 1070 for example works 5k without problems, but also without acceleration for now.

I will try a Dell 5K with RX480 soon, for now I tried with an HP Z27Q 5K. But as Fl0r!an said, there is no positive achievement in conjunction with AMD cards. And as for now there is no support for Nvidia Pascal based GPUs.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm getting an XFX GTR RX 480, just added 0x67DF1002 to my 4100 kext, the next thing I need to do is on the latest Clover update enable inject ATI and then that is all I should need to be doing right? Anyone know if need to do anything different or more for the GTR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back