Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon RX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the RX 480 by now, is it supported? Does it work OOB with El Capitan 10.11.6/macOS Sierra 10.12.1?

Or let me ask in general: What is the best card out there that does work OOB with El Capitan 10.11.6?

Hi, and what about GTX 980 (Ti), as they're both listed in the buyer's guide section?

I am thinking of buying RX 480 Sapphire nitro can it work in Sierra and future updates

Acceleration work according to this guide

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...running-macos-w-how-to.1984213/#post-23156757
Of course the Sapphire RX 480 works with macOS Sierra and future updates, just not OOB. The key is to not edit the kext file. Just spoof the DeviceID to 0x67EF1002 in Clover to enable acceleration. That guide you mentioned suggests a manual edit of the kext file. There are limitations if a kext file is manually edited, as acknowledged by the author in macrumors.

Kext editing needed after each OS update to reenable acceleration and Metal support.

I am thinking of buying RX 480 Sapphire nitro can it work in Sierra and future updates

Cannot guarantee the future and we do know that the nVidia GT610 has suddenly stopped working in Sierra - if Apple tinker around with certain driver packages then the position as it stands today may change. You should at least be able to accept this as a possible risk particularly with cards that Apple do not use in their own hardware.
Good luck if you do choose the RX 480 - I do hope that that the situation improves but treat RX 480 use as an early adopter and accept that there may be a bumpy ride ahead. :thumbup:

Of course the Sapphire RX 480 works with macOS Sierra and future updates, just not OOB. The key is to not edit the kext file. Just spoof the DeviceID to 0x67EF1002 in Clover to enable acceleration. That guide you mentioned suggests a manual edit of the kext file. There are limitations if a kext file is manually edited, as acknowledged by the author in macrumors.

Sorry, where do you spoof? :) In Clover config utility?
Do this work with AMD RX as primary?

Sorry, where do you spoof? :) In Clover config utility?
Do this work with AMD RX as primary?

In Clover Configurator, Devices/Fake ID/ATI. Insert 0x67EF1002 into the ATI box.
Unfortunately, iGPU has to be configured as primary under BIOS. Setting the AMD card as primary will result in booting to black screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back