Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Performance Enhanced SSDT

Try the kext that helps with the fans and report back, maybe I will post it on the first page.

Currently im using RadeonVega56AirCoolingFanFix.kext WITH the SSDT-Vega64 and getting good results. Fan is under control.

Attachments

• SSDT-RX Vega 64-Version 2.3.aml
    822 bytes · Views: 123
  • RadeonVega56AirCoolingFansFix.kext.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 121
Well I have used the ops @mattystonnie vega kext on a MSI Vega 56 airboost and the results are mixed

first the negatives
for me the SMU fan bug is here hard.. and I found no way of defeating it while the force falcon SMU loading took place so the machine would howl and fans would not throttle once spun up... huge negative
second, the video ram never downshifts from 800 to 500 at idle and the activity light bar on the card constantly pulses full like its on crack when the system is idle.. can't be good
Frequency reported for the card is wrong, no power reporting.. etc

bench negatives
I saw no improvement in luxball nor an increase in video toolbox encoding to h256 .. so in real world apps vs synthetic benches.. the increases may not have much effect

pluses

now the synthetic GB4/5 benchmark improvements were dramatic

GB5 went from metal 58300 OpenCL 5033
to 80286 64148

at the cost of a howling non stop fan and crazy coil noises etc.. so not sure this is all that good for hardware longevity

I am betting that when put agains real world workloads, the apple engineers MigHT have gotten it right and tuned the settings for their pro apps to get the most out of AMDs broken SMU firmware

I am cleaning up the airboost 56 fan kext to add some addl function like ADPM and injecting video bios info but I think that the performance of that kext is more than good, with much better thermals, a card that clocks down properly, is likely more the way apple coded their software for.. and I can hear myself think!!

I know an option to keep your fans quiet but will always run low.

Maybe this kext is the solution to fix the vega 56/64 fans?

to be honest I have not really had an issue with the MSI vega56 airboost running with WEG... the fans seem to behave as advertised.

The kext I mention gives a nice boost when using a smbios profile where apples power management clamps down on the airboost which is overclocked to boot... so yes.. performance is enhanced.. but nothing like a full uncorking and loading the MSU directly .. which .. in some cases brings the Vega fan bug

I think its a good balance between performance, compatibility, and noise..

again.. huge increases in synthetic bench results with loading SMU on the vega.. but in my case.. luxball and encoding hevc video saw no increase over the kext I mention that enables several ATI settings, and disables power clamping so the card can ramp to 1.59ghz... and not get clamped at 1.42

Currently im using RadeonVega56AirCoolingFanFix.kext WITH the SSDT-Vega64 and getting good results. Fan is under control.
what is your luxball score like.. I get over 28000 using the radeonfanfix.kext

@mattystonnie
I really appreciate the fantastic work you've done here.
I run an iMac 17,1 in headless configuration with a Sapphire Vega 64 +Nitro
This is what I did:
1, installed your SSDT.RX Vega 64-Version 2.3.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder
2, installed dAGPM.kext in EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other folder
Then rebooted and did a Gb5 Metal test, but saw no improvement in performance over previous tests.
So I went back to Clover Configurator/ACPI and moved the SSDT to the top of SortedOrder in my config.plist (see picture)
Then retested and wow! I saw a 30% performance jump in Metal tests! Scores went up to almost 80k from an average of 60k
BruceX Test - 5K.fcpxml down to 10sec from about 20 sec

Thanks again!

SortedOrder.png

Before sleep

Metal score before sleep.png

After Sleep

Metal score after sleep.png

Many thanks for this. I have the 5700xt Special edition. Can I use the ssdt for the 5700xt?

@mattystonnie
Thanks for this very useful patch! I got a benchmark boost for my 5600XT!
Only got one question. When I monitor my VRAM using iStat, I find the VRAM keep increasing until nearly 100% and remains nearly full. it could only been release after sleep/wake. Any suggestion please?

Back