Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Performance Enhanced SSDT

@mattystonnie
when turning on the pc and reaching the desktop it freezes me and I have to restart with the button on the box.
I only use the ssdt x299 5700xt and weg , Any idea why this is happening? use smbios macpro7.1

Once I reboot everything seems to be fine, but it didn't happen to me before, thanks

Well I have used the ops @mattystonnie vega kext on a MSI Vega 56 airboost and the results are mixed

first the negatives
for me the SMU fan bug is here hard.. and I found no way of defeating it while the force falcon SMU loading took place so the machine would howl and fans would not throttle once spun up... huge negative
second, the video ram never downshifts from 800 to 500 at idle and the activity light bar on the card constantly pulses full like its on crack when the system is idle.. can't be good
Frequency reported for the card is wrong, no power reporting.. etc

bench negatives
I saw no improvement in luxball nor an increase in video toolbox encoding to h256 .. so in real world apps vs synthetic benches.. the increases may not have much effect

pluses

now the synthetic GB4/5 benchmark improvements were dramatic

GB5 went from metal 58300 OpenCL 5033
to 80286 64148

at the cost of a howling non stop fan and crazy coil noises etc.. so not sure this is all that good for hardware longevity

I am betting that when put agains real world workloads, the apple engineers MigHT have gotten it right and tuned the settings for their pro apps to get the most out of AMDs broken SMU firmware

I am cleaning up the airboost 56 fan kext to add some addl function like ADPM and injecting video bios info but I think that the performance of that kext is more than good, with much better thermals, a card that clocks down properly, is likely more the way apple coded their software for.. and I can hear myself think!!

I seem to be getting good results using the SSDT-Vega64-2.3.aml with the RadeonVega56AirCoolingFansFix.kext. So far my fan is idling and throttling up correctly and my temps are idling around 40-43C. My OpenCL 66165 Metal 73541

I seem to be getting good results using the SSDT-Vega64-2.3.aml with the RadeonVega56AirCoolingFansFix.kext. So far my fan is idling and throttling up correctly and my temps are idling around 40-43C. My OpenCL 66165 Metal 73541

so you are likely not loading SMU then... ?

Hi @mattystonnie.

I've been keeping up with your post since the beginning and followed the directions (Clover) for my 5500XT. I even added the flag for AddDTGP in Clover Configurator. Thanks to your guide, everything is noticeably faster than before but I thought I'd follow your suggestion to add the PCIe Display Device Path in the List of PCI Devices in my config.plist before removing the SSDT. I first right-clicked and copied the path I have shown in the attached picture from Hackintool and then went to paste it into CC at the bottom left in the Devices tab. First, I added a device and even though I pasted the path, I can't get it to stick and generate the properties in the bottom right pane (I previously was able to add my IGPU as a headless device and that stuck). I've also attached my IOReg in case I have other issues that might be interfering with the procedure. If you have a chance to look into it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help.

View attachment 467347

Use the SSDT, it is very optimised for RX 5500 XT because I have one.

Hi mattystonnie, thank you for your support and your hard work!

I have a NUC8 with an eGPU RX 5700 XT, my Metal GeekBench 5.1 is 40K using your instructions, not near the 60K or 70K posted by others,

As a note, my GPU can do 70K Metal if I use headless connectors but I don't want to do that, can you please help me to review what I am doing wrong?

thanks

Try this, use the gpu in the same thunderbolt port, do not change!

It is hard to make it work because it is external.

Attachments

• EFI-vicantu.zip
    39.2 MB · Views: 235
@mattystonnie

I am on a intel Dx58so with w3680..harware very close to a macpro5,1 and upgraded to a vega from 660 to go from ElCap to Mojave.

after some tweeks and experimentation I found that I get close to everything I want by instead of using a straight macpro5,1 SMBIOS.. I now use a split personality like the real macpro guys are doing with opencore and putting in a imacpro1,1 board-id in the SMBIOS.. not injecting it with WEG.. still using pikera and shikigva=80.. I get BOTH HARDWARE encode AND decode of BOTH 264 and HEVC... and at least DRM for prime.. have not tested others .. on 10.14.6 2020-002

I am currently using a kext called radeonvegaaircoolingfanfix.kext (not my work).. for my MSI VEGA 56 Airboot and it works fantastic .. fans trottle properly, nothing gets stuck.. it doestn STOP the fan like apples power mangement so it stays cooler...

I would like to see if adding some of your SMU injection in it might take it up another notch

right now I get GB4 opencl or 144770 and a luxball3.1 of 28083

Maybe this kext is the solution to fix the vega 56/64 fans?

Back