Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Performance Enhanced SSDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to set the @0,name key to ATY,Orinoco or ATY,Guariba and removed all other keys, so I had only the framebuffer name. Same issue: stuck on a black screen during the middle of the boot.

Maybe your question is unrelated to this thread.Do a small research and you should find more appropriate topics. Anyway, try switching between FakeSMC and VirtualSMC (but not both at the same time!), make sure they're up to date, and try different builds of HWMonitor (especially the "HWMonitorSMC 2") instead of istat.
@mattystonnie, I am not sure if the injection is loaded successfully in my OC build. Can you point out what I am not doing right? I attached my config.plist and IOReg for your reference. Thanks in advance.

System info and in the PCI area and you will see the gpu if it loaded correctly.

When I was struggling with how to boot successfully with the RX5500XT 4G, this post saved me!
Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 6.53.19 PM.png

RX590 NITRO+ test results:

①Only add SSDT + weg (Not add DAGPM.kext + agdpmod = pikera)

Before sleep:
1-2.png

After wake up from sleep

1-1.png

② With SSDT + DAGPM.kext + “agdpmod = pikera” + weg
2-1.png

2-2.png

③Only add boot args: "agdpmod = pikera" + weg (No SSDT + DAGPM.kext)
3-1.png

3-2.png

②③No need to sleep and wake up and

The final result is: RX590 NITRO+ only needs to add agdpmod = pikera to boot args and then cooperate with weg.

Is that right?

@fryysyd dude that's strange I also have a Nitro+ RX590 (gold edition) and my results are slightly different:
Only using WEG (agdpmod=pikera seems optional to me as I see no change with or without), OpenCL results are between 47000 and 49000 (a bit higher than yours) but Metal is more between 45000-47000 (a bit lower).
What is your macOS version and which bootloader?

Also, can you check the power consumption of your GPU when idle and with only 1 monitor plugged into it (and also with 2, if you have 2)? It's a bit out of the scope of this topic but I can't PM you :(

I report my experience with RX 590 and RX 5700.

Gigabyte X299 - RX 590 (Mojave):
- On Clover/Graphics I was already using the Orinoco framebuffer, so I left it like this.
- AGPM Controller was already loaded by default, so I didn't use dAGPM.
- agdpmod=pikera was not needed in my configuration.
- On System Info/PCI there is no news, there is only RX 590, but currently almost all SSDTs that I use is not displayed on the PCI information.

Power consumption
- IDLE: 90-100 Watt (with and without your SSDT)
- On rendering: up to 350 Watts and sometimes over (not tested with your SSDT)
But I think they are incorrect readings from iStat, because Sapphire declares a consumption of <235 watts, and 350 seems to me to be really too much for this card.

I was already using an SSDT for the RX 590, that of the KGP guide.

After replacing the new SSDT RX580, adapted to my ACPI paths, I didn't notice any difference in geekbenck, sometimes the score is higher, sometimes lower, exactly as before (around 51000 OpenCL - 56000 Metal).
The only real difference is that this new SSDT sometimes on waking from sleep, the GPU fans spin at maximum for a few seconds, while at other times it breaks sleep and the result is a reboot.

Gigabyte Z390 - RX 5700 XT (Catalina):
- On Clover/Graphics no framebuffer set, I don't know which one is for the RX 5700.
- agdpmod=pikera already present.
- On System Info/PCI it is empty without SSDT, while with the SSDT the RX 5700 and the HDAU output are displayed.

After adding the SSDT it seems that the performances shown by geekbench are better even if we are far from what the performance of this card should really be.
The problem is that after a while the screen freeze and the computer stuck. This happened shortly after a sleep, but I don't know if sleep was the cause. Also during the benchmarks the computer made strange noises, like buzz. For now I have removed the SSDT.

Another problem I have with this configuration (RX 5700 XT) is that the HDMI audio output is sometimes not recognized and I have to restart to be able to use it. But unfortunately this has always happened and I don't know what the solution could be.

Last edited:
I report my experience with RX 590 and RX 5700.

Gigabyte X299 - RX 590 (Mojave):
- On Clover/Graphics I was already using the Orinoco framebuffer, so I left it like this.
- agdpmod=pikera was not needed in my configuration.
- On System Info/PCI there is no news, there is only RX 590, but currently almost all SSDTs that I use is not displayed on the PCI information.

Power consumption
- IDLE: 90-100 Watt (with and without your SSDT)
- On rendering: up to 350 Watts and sometimes over (not tested with your SSDT)
But I think they are incorrect readings from iStat, because Sapphire declares a consumption of <235 watts, and 350 seems to me to be really too much for this card.

I was already using an SSDT for the RX 590, that of the KGP guide.

After replacing the new SSDT RX580, adapted to my ACPI paths, I didn't notice any difference in geekbenck, sometimes the score is higher, sometimes lower, exactly as before (around 51000 OpenCL - 56000 Metal).
The only real difference is that this new SSDT sometimes on waking from sleep, the GPU fans spin at maximum for a few seconds, while at other times it breaks sleep and the result is a reboot.

Gigabyte Z390 - RX 5700 XT (Catalina):
- On Clover/Graphics no framebuffer set, I don't know which one is for the RX 5700.
- agdpmod=pikera already present.
- On System Info/PCI it is empty without SSDT, while with the SSDT the RX 5700 and the HDAU output are displayed.

After adding the SSDT it seems that the performances shown by geekbench are better even if we are far from what the performance of this card should really be.
The problem is that after a while the screen freeze and the computer stuck. This happened shortly after a sleep, but I don't know if sleep was the cause. Also during the benchmarks the computer made strange noises, like buzz. For now I have removed the SSDT.

What is your SMBios? Did you check power consumption with the SSDT? It should be low.

A little better Metal score compared with the last one #340

For advanced user, copy into clover device properties, change "PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)" with your GPU path.

Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>PP_PowerPlayEnabled</key>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <key>@0,name</key>
                <string>ATY,Orinoco</string>
                <key>CFG_PTPL2_TBL</key>
                <data>ggAAAHwAAAB2AAAAcAAAAGoAAABkAAAAXgAAAFgAAABSAAAATAAAAEYAAABAAAAAOgAAADQAAAAuAAAAKAAAAA==</data>
                <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
                <string>Slot-1@0,1,0/0,0</string>
                <key>ATY,EFIVersion</key>
                <data>MDEuMDEuMTkw</data>
                <key>CFG_USE_AGDC</key>
                <true/>
                <key>CFG_USE_SCANOUT</key>
                <true/>
                <key>CFG_USE_TCON</key>
                <true/>
                <key>PP_BootupDisplayState</key>
                <data>AQAAAA==</data>
                <key>PP_DisableMCDownLoadFeature</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>AMD Radeon RX 580</string>
            </dict>

Edit. Luxmark score bigger with 900 points.

Woul you mind to help me with my RX580?

Mine is a RedDragon from Powercolor. Would this framebufer fit?

Am I supposed to find this with IOREG, corectly?
change "PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)" with your GPU path.

System info and in the PCI area and you will see the gpu if it loaded correctly.

No, I don't see it there unfortunately. What should I do?

Update: The problem was my backup OpenCore/EFI drive was booted instead of my main boot drive and the config.plist file was never changed. All good now. This device property injection works and made my build configuration better. Thanks @mattystonnie for your contribution.

For reference: In addition to the device property injection, I use WhateverGreen.kext with agdpmod=pikera, shikigva=80 and -cdfon boot arguments.

SysInfo PCI.png

SysInfo Graphics.png

Last edited:
What is your SMBios? Did you check power consumption with the SSDT? It should be low.
Right, I forgot the SMBIOS as information... I use iMacPro1.1 on all my configurations.
With the RX 590 the consumptions in IDLE are identical, I have not tested the consumptions in rendering, because the SSDT created problems with sleep and I think it made the system unstable.
With the RX 5700 XT iStat does not show consumption so I have no references.

For the RX 590 actually I use this: SSDT-X299-RX590.aml

Ioreg Lele iMacPro1,1.png

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-RX590.aml
    1.2 KB · Views: 165
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back