Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Performance Enhanced SSDT

Introduction

A couple of weeks ago I got my hands on a new Navi GPU, The Sapphire RX 5500 XT 4 GB, everything was working but the performance was not there, everyone said it is on pair with the good old RX 580.

So I got my hands on the new macbook pro 16.1,mac pro 7.1, and looking into the ssdt, dsdt and ioreg I saw what was missing from my hackintosh machine.

With a few tweaks and frambuffer injection, the performance went up especially with metal apps, low power consumption too.

The RX 5700 XT SSDT.aml works with RX 5600/5700/5700XT.
The RX 5500 XT SSDT.aml works with RX 5500/5500XT.

This method tries to mimic a real working mac.

How to install

Right now I am using Open Core Bootloader, but it works with clover too.

There are 2 methods for this to work, same methods are used by Apple : SSDT.aml for headless installation or Property Injection method for advanced users ( just copy the things from the SSDT.aml and add into the Property Injection section).

Clover method
  1. First thing to do is to download the SSDT.aml file corresponding to your GPU and drag&drop into /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  2. Second thing to do is to download WhateverGreen and place it into /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other -- this will fix the video ports
  3. Download the dummy kext dAGPM (made by @toleda) that will help with power management for the GPU and place it into /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
  4. Edit the Clover Config file from /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER and add this DSDT renaming : rename PEGP to EGP0 find : 50454750 replace : 45475030 also add boot args : agdpmod=pikera (fix black screen on some gpus, mine works without).View attachment 464763

Open Core method
  1. Download the SSDT.aml file corresponding to your GPU and drag&drop into /Volumes/EFI /EFI/OC/ACPI
  2. Second thing to do is to download WhateverGreen and place it into /Volumes/EFI /EFI/OC/Kexts
  3. Download the dummy kext dAGPM (made by @toleda) that will help with power management for the GPU and place it into /Volumes/EFI /EFI/OC/Kexts
  4. Edit the OC config file from /Volumes/EFI /EFI/OC and add this patch renaming TableSignature SSDT find: 50454750 replace : 45475030 comment: replace : 45475030 ---- also add boot args : agdpmod=pikera (fix black screen on some gpus, mine works without)

View attachment 464767 View attachment 464768

5. Add the SSDT.aml file and whatevegreen kext and dAGPM kext into the config file and enable it .

View attachment 464769 View attachment 464770 View attachment 464772View attachment 464773

Conclusion

As you can see in the pictures the performance improve very much, in open gl test there is no improvement, only in open cl and metal, sometimes after opening many apps the score went very high. The open cl score did match the one from Windows 10.
The best performance was achieved using SMBios iMac Pro 1.1, DRM works on all video output ports.

View attachment 464780View attachment 464781 View attachment 464787

Coming soon

RX Vega 64
RX 580

Hi, great work!!
I've numbers that closer to your results, with my RX 580 8Gb, without SSDT files. Can I have a better performance using a properly SSDT file (I know that you're working on it now)?

LuxMark:
Captura de Pantalla 2020-04-26 a la(s) 17.57.02.png

Geekbench 4:
Captura de Pantalla 2020-04-26 a la(s) 18.00.47.png
Captura de Pantalla 2020-04-26 a la(s) 18.00.20.png

Thanks in advance.

Here are both, not sure how to test both simultaneously, that is a good question...

Attachments

• System_Report_PCI.jpg
    System_Report_PCI.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 149
  • System_Report_Graphics.jpg
    System_Report_Graphics.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 150
Here are both, not sure how to test both simultaneously, that is a good question...

Use luxmark or Apple app that uses metal, FCPX, something to show both gpus.
Looking perfect, now I have to do something with the fans... :crazy: :beachball:

Is the hdmi audio working ?

What was your Vega 64 brand?

EDIT : Dude I figured out what is going on with your performance, because you are using 2 gpus, your PCIE slots are running at X8 not X16.

Looking perfect, now I have to do something with the fans... :crazy: :beachball:

Is the hdmi audio working ?

What was your Vega 64 brand?
HDMI Audio is working!!

The Cards are Powercolor Radeon RX Vega 64
1587935826266.png

I got Geekbench Metal score before this patch 43502 and now 62792.

Back