Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

Are people still getting good performance from Radeon cards with OC .6.8 and up? It seems to me that my Radeon VII has stopped being used for rendering, even though all the programs say hardware acceleration is enabled.

Render times have shot up, and I can see the CPU is being utilized more than the GPU. I'm running as iMacPro1,1 on a Designare 390. Nothing has changed other than upgrading OC.
5700xt OC 0.6.8 running mac 11.3 like a charm

I can do it this weekend. arthurmelo says his is working fine though, so I'll see if it's something else.
I’m using same mobo as you, if you want I could zip my Efi for you to try my settings , let me now

That would be great. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Never had this issue before with OC or Clover.
Im using SMBIOS imac 19.1

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    69.3 MB · Views: 108
It is already known that NAVI 21 (RX6800 and 6900) received support from Big Sur.
Has anyone tried to run NAVI 22 (RX6700)? Is it detected?
I also read that NAVI 23 (RX6600) appears.

It is already known that NAVI 21 (RX6800 and 6900) received support from Big Sur.
Has anyone tried to run NAVI 22 (RX6700)? Is it detected?
I also read that NAVI 23 (RX6600) appears.
There is no support for either yet.

Is anyone experiencing memory leaks with WindowServer?

Symptoms (macOS running 24h a day, no sleep, no session logout):
  • WindowServer would slowly utilise more and more CPU usage and memory every day. From 5% CPU usage to 160% after 5 days.
  • WindowServer would eat up all the memory available after several days.
  • If WindowServer is not killed, the UI will eventually freeze or the OS will KP (caused by WindowServer).
  • Closing all apps, user logout, etc. doesn't solve the issue (it doesn't reduce the CPU usage, and doesn't reduce memory consumption). WindowServer needs to be killed.
  • Disconnecting monitors doesn't solve the issue.
  • GPU Memory usage regularly reaches 75% then gets flushed down to 15%. Not sure what triggers those.
This is after 1 day of uptime (the last diagram is the GPU memory):
View attachment 514374
View attachment 514375
View attachment 514376
Ever since I've upgraded to RX 5700XT on Big Sur, I keep experiencing those memory leaks.
Every 5 days I have to reboot due to this issue. Which is very painful.

Samples of the process show that it's waiting for mach_msg_trap. Not sure what it's waiting for though...

Specs:
  • Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G GDDR6 8 GB
  • iMacPro1,1
  • Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91)
  • 2x (DP and HDMI) 120Hz 1080p monitors
  • 128GB of RAM
  • Latest versions of OpenCore with WhateverGreen - Boot args: -v debug=0x100 keepsyms=1 alcid=1 agdpmod=pikera nv_disable=1
I've read online it might be due to the 120Hz monitors. So I believe something is wrong with the AMD drivers... This issue is driving me crazy.

Also, I found this: https://chromeisbad.com/ & https://twitter.com/lorenb/timelines/1338892756752732169

EDIT: 3 days 8 hours after deleting chrome and keystone, WindowServer ~18% CPU and 600MB of RAM. Seems promising. Let's see if it can last one week.

EDIT2: 5 days 21 hours after deleting chrome and keystone, WindowServer still ~18% CPU and 668MB of RAM. I think that was it... Chrome IS BAD.

EDIT3: 10 days 16 hours after deleting chrome and keystone, WindowServer still ~18% CPU and 698MB of RAM. It's a win! (btw, GPU memory spikes and flushes had nothing to do with the issue, it's still doing it, no noticeable impact on performances)

View attachment 515417
View attachment 515416

EDIT4: 14 days 15 hours, WindowServer ~37% CPU and 76GB of RAM. The issue is back... however, I've never this is the first time in a very long time it is able to last more than 7 days of uptime. I still believe deleting Chrome definitely helped, but Chrome/Keystone might not be the only processes to blame.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to do at this point... seems like I'm the only one with this issue... 145GB of RAM... wtf
Uptime 13 days 9 hours.

windowserver_issue_macos_CRAZY_amount_of_ram.png

AMD just announced some RDNA2 workstation graphics options for the Mac Pro. Maybe the 6000 series will be supported in a semi-official capacity soon.

Back