Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

Everything working fine here
iGPU, dGPU, temp monitoring and etc

But, FPS and benchmarks are slow as hell using 5600XT (Gigabyte)

In Windows I had way better results, but in Hack FPS is slow and results too

Anyway to make stuff work ?

Hi @CaseySJ, @CMMChris, @mattystonnie @mattystonnie, @ModMike etc.,

I'm currently switching my system from three GTX 1080ti's (High Sierra) to three RX 5700 XT's (Catalina) and I have questions about RadeonBoost.kext + PowerPlay Tables:
  • How does this work for multi-GPU setups?
    • How do I convert the 5700XT SSDT's to work with my motherboard (Gigabyte X299 Designare EX)?
    • I'm attaching my current SSDT that I use for my NVIDIA cards, if that helps.
  • would you recommend Big Sur over Catalina? I currently can't boot on Catalina with any of the different versions RadeonBoost kexts (without SSDT), with or without WEG , and different boot flags...
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-Nvidia_GVF.aml
    1.8 KB · Views: 71

I'm currently switching my system from three GTX 1080ti's (High Sierra) to three RX 5700 XT's (Catalina) and I have questions about RadeonBoost.kext + PowerPlay Tables:
    • How do I convert the 5700XT SSDT's to work with my motherboard (Gigabyte X299 Designare EX)?
  • would you recommend Big Sur over Catalina? I currently can't boot on Catalina with any of the different versions RadeonBoost kexts (without SSDT), with or without WEG , and different boot flags...
Thanks in advance!

did you try getting big sur to boot with just one 5700XT? You should not need radeonboost or weg if you have smbios MacPro7,1

Thanks in advance!
Paste your EFI directory. Catalina works fine for me on the X299 Designare EX + RX5700XT.

Last edited:
@Junologue I use iMacPro1,1 for my setup. Why do do you use MacPro 7,1?

I need WEG with agdpmod=pikera boot flag otherwise I get a black screen on boot.

@ori69 attaching the EFI, thank you. What SMBIOS do you use for yours?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    9.2 MB · Views: 99

I need WEG with agdpmod=pikera boot flag otherwise I get a black screen on boot.

I use iMacPro1,1. Tomorrow I will check your EFI. Today I do not have access to the X299 Designare EX.

cause my system has been more stable with it. And also i need less kexts, and it just runs more ”vanilla”

With 7,1 you don’t need weg and that boot flag. Altough you have to map out your memory in OC or use another kext to get rid of the annoying memore notification

Is anyone experiencing memory leaks with WindowServer?

Symptoms (macOS running 24h a day, no sleep, no session logout):
  • WindowServer would slowly utilise more and more CPU usage and memory every day. From 5% CPU usage to 160% after 5 days.
  • WindowServer would eat up all the memory available after several days.
  • If WindowServer is not killed, the UI will eventually freeze or the OS will KP (caused by WindowServer).
  • Closing all apps, user logout, etc. doesn't solve the issue (it doesn't reduce the CPU usage, and doesn't reduce memory consumption). WindowServer needs to be killed.
  • Disconnecting monitors doesn't solve the issue.
  • GPU Memory usage regularly reaches 75% then gets flushed down to 15%. Not sure what triggers those.
This is after 1 day of uptime (the last diagram is the GPU memory):
CPU_usage.png

RAM_usage.png

GPU_Memory.png

Ever since I've upgraded to RX 5700XT on Big Sur, I keep experiencing those memory leaks.
Every 5 days I have to reboot due to this issue. Which is very painful.

Samples of the process show that it's waiting for mach_msg_trap. Not sure what it's waiting for though...

Specs:
  • Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G GDDR6 8 GB
  • iMacPro1,1
  • Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91)
  • 2x (DP and HDMI) 120Hz 1080p monitors
  • 128GB of RAM
  • Latest versions of OpenCore with WhateverGreen - Boot args: -v debug=0x100 keepsyms=1 alcid=1 agdpmod=pikera nv_disable=1
I've read online it might be due to the 120Hz monitors. So I believe something is wrong with the AMD drivers... This issue is driving me crazy.

Also, I found this: https://chromeisbad.com/ & https://twitter.com/lorenb/timelines/1338892756752732169

EDIT: 3 days 8 hours after deleting chrome and keystone, WindowServer ~18% CPU and 600MB of RAM. Seems promising. Let's see if it can last one week.

EDIT2: 5 days 21 hours after deleting chrome and keystone, WindowServer still ~18% CPU and 668MB of RAM. I think that was it... Chrome IS BAD.

EDIT3: 10 days 16 hours after deleting chrome and keystone, WindowServer still ~18% CPU and 698MB of RAM. It's a win! (btw, GPU memory spikes and flushes had nothing to do with the issue, it's still doing it, no noticeable impact on performances)

win1.png

win2.png

EDIT4: 14 days 15 hours, WindowServer ~37% CPU and 76GB of RAM. The issue is back... however, I've never this is the first time in a very long time it is able to last more than 7 days of uptime. I still believe deleting Chrome definitely helped, but Chrome/Keystone might not be the only processes to blame.

EDIT5: This issue has been resolved in macOS Monterey.

Attachments

• Sample of WindowServer.txt
    515.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Are people still getting good performance from Radeon cards with OC .6.8 and up? It seems to me that my Radeon VII has stopped being used for rendering, even though all the programs say hardware acceleration is enabled.

Render times have shot up, and I can see the CPU is being utilized more than the GPU. I'm running as iMacPro1,1 on a Designare 390. Nothing has changed other than upgrading OC.

Are people still getting good performance from Radeon cards with OC .6.8 and up? It seems to me that my Radeon VII has stopped being used for rendering, even though all the programs say hardware acceleration is enabled.

Render times have shot up, and I can see the CPU is being utilized more than the GPU. I'm running as iMacPro1,1 on a Designare 390. Nothing has changed other than upgrading OC.
This is interesting! Can’t remember if i’m on 0.6.8 or below. But will surely have a look at it. Could you do an A/B test with 0.6.8 vs 0.6.7?

Back