Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

I tried MacPro7,1 + WD + agdpmod=pikera and three monitors work. But with cursor lags. Try adding pikera mod.
I tried MacPro7,1 and WG+agdpmod=pikera and still no luck...

Edit: to clarify, I get no input detected on any display once the verbose boot is complete.

Last edited:
After RMA replacing my Gigabyte 5700xt, the snap crackle pop crash seems to be fixed (cross fingers), but then I get a new problem: overheating.

First sign was seeing my 970 EVO running hot, around 65 C even when idle. Thought it was just the drive itself, then realized it was the whole motherboard heating up. Fiddled with my OC configs for days (to no avail) before I think I found the source of the problem.

The GPU heats up like crazy even when idle, because I guess macos uses the GPU a lot more than Windows? The GPU in turn heats up the mobo's PCH and the nvme area right underneath it.

So I set the fan curve using AMD's adrenaline app, turned of the zero RPM feature. And that fan curve profile is respected under Windows. I set the minimum fan speed to about 1100RPM, and I can see that under GPU-Z, and I can hear it too.

But under macos, I can't see the fan speed, since iStat menus don't recognize 5700xt yet. But I can tell it's not respecting the fan curve profile, because I can't hear the damn GPU fans.

Questions is: How does macos know when to turn on the GPU's fans? And at what temps? I've seen the nvme drive temp reach to around 70 C, at which point I boot into Windows to see the GPU temp at over 50 C (with VRAM around 55 C), and macOS hadn't turned on the fan. But under windows, those fans would immediately start spinning at over 2000RPM.

Frustrated, I even upgraded to Big Sur, hoping its drivers would have better fan control, but it's the same thing.

How do you guys deal with the GPU overheating? Especially with a mini-ITX board like Asus z390-i, where the GPU is sitting right on top of the NVME slot and the PCH? Is there a fan curve utility for navi-based cards that will work under macos, cuz it's not recognizing any profile I create under windows.

After RMA replacing my Gigabyte 5700xt, the snap crackle pop crash seems to be fixed (cross fingers), but then I get a new problem: overheating.

First sign was seeing my 970 EVO running hot, around 65 C even when idle. Thought it was just the drive itself, then realized it was the whole motherboard heating up. Fiddled with my OC configs for days (to no avail) before I think I found the source of the problem.

The GPU heats up like crazy even when idle, because I guess macos uses the GPU a lot more than Windows? The GPU in turn heats up the mobo's PCH and the nvme area right underneath it.

So I set the fan curve using AMD's adrenaline app, turned of the zero RPM feature. And that fan curve profile is respected under Windows. I set the minimum fan speed to about 1100RPM, and I can see that under GPU-Z, and I can hear it too.

But under macos, I can't see the fan speed, since iStat menus don't recognize 5700xt yet. But I can tell it's not respecting the fan curve profile, because I can't hear the damn GPU fans.

Questions is: How does macos know when to turn on the GPU's fans? And at what temps? I've seen the nvme drive temp reach to around 70 C, at which point I boot into Windows to see the GPU temp at over 50 C (with VRAM around 55 C), and macOS hadn't turned on the fan. But under windows, those fans would immediately start spinning at over 2000RPM.

Frustrated, I even upgraded to Big Sur, hoping its drivers would have better fan control, but it's the same thing.

How do you guys deal with the GPU overheating? Especially with a mini-ITX board like Asus z390-i, where the GPU is sitting right on top of the NVME slot and the PCH? Is there a fan curve utility for navi-based cards that will work under macos, cuz it's not recognizing any profile I create under windows.
What is the wattage of your power supply?

600W.

It's a corsair sff600 80+platinum.
Do you have 2 separate cables connecting to the card? Not just one with 2 connectors, but actually 2 cables.
Power supplies have 2 rails for power delivery so you want to balance it by using both rails one cable from each rail for high demand items like the graphics card.

Do you have 2 separate cables connecting to the card? Not just one with 2 connectors, but actually 2 cables.
Power supplies have 2 rails for power delivery so you want to balance it by using both rails one cable from each rail for high demand items like the graphics card.

Yep. Two separate cables off two rails. One is 8-pin, the other 6-pin. The PSU came with those two cables.

The PSU's wattage is a bit lower than I'd like. Originally, I wanted something ~750, but the case I'm using (Lian Li TU150) requires an SFF PSU, and those are hard to find during this covid-19 era, or so they tell me. Paid a pretty penny even for this 600 one. Had to reserve one at a brick and mortar computer store, and actually drive 30 min to pick it up. Haven't done that in a long while...

Anyways, do you think my GPU is underpowered?

Or maybe my motherboard is lacking power? One thing that bothers me is that I have three Noctua 120mm fans: one in the front, one on my CPU heatsink and one in the rear. They suck in air from the front and blow it all out the rear. When I stick my finger around where the nvme slot's at, there isn't much airflow, until the GPU fans start kicking in. From Windows, I set the GPU's min fan to be around 1000rpm.

That's why it's imperative that the GPU fan profile be respected in macos, but it seems to me they're not. Both Catalina and Big Sur seem to have different fan profile? Or does it even have a profile? I don't know. I can only boot into macos for about an hour, and I don't hear the GPU fans spinning. I wish there was something to let me customize a profile in macos.

S

Yep. Two separate cables off two rails. One is 8-pin, the other 6-pin. The PSU came with those two cables.

The PSU's wattage is a bit lower than I'd like. Originally, I wanted something ~750, but the case I'm using (Lian Li TU150) requires an SFF PSU, and those are hard to find during this covid-19 era, or so they tell me. Paid a pretty penny even for this 600 one. Had to reserve one at a brick and mortar computer store, and actually drive 30 min to pick it up. Haven't done that in a long while...

Anyways, do you think my GPU is underpowered?

Or maybe my motherboard is lacking power? One thing that bothers me is that I have three Noctua 120mm fans: one in the front, one on my CPU heatsink and one in the rear. They suck in air from the front and blow it all out the rear. When I stick my finger around where the nvme slot's at, there isn't much airflow, until the GPU fans start kicking in. From Windows, I set the GPU's min fan to be around 1000rpm.

That's why it's imperative that the GPU fan profile be respected in macos, but it seems to me they're not. Both Catalina and Big Sur seem to have different fan profile? Or does it even have a profile? I don't know. I can only boot into macos for about an hour, and I don't hear the GPU fans spinning. I wish there was something to let me customize a profile in macos.

S
Try the search tool for Mattysonnie he has created ssdts for AMD cards, they work in Catalina but I’m not sure he has them working yet for Big Sur.

Try the search tool for Mattysonnie he has created ssdts for AMD cards, they work in Catalina but I’m not sure he has them working yet for Big Sur.

Okay, found Mattystonnie and did what he outline here:

But what exactly does this do? From his description, it seems to enhance performance on navi cards. But it doesn't seem to do anything to turn on the fans. On my Big Sur at least I don't hear the GPU fans. When I quickly reboot into Windows, I see that the GPU has reached around 50 C (with VRAM at around 55 C) and the fans are definitely going.

But not in macos. When does macos think it's necessary to turn on the damned GPU fans? When the GPU's at around 50 C, my Samsung nvme is around 57 C. Maybe it's okay for the GPU to idle at that temp, but it's cooking my nvme drive.

Do I have another lemon GPU?

S

Hi sosurim

Tweaking the Radeons are definitely not as easy as in the Windows side. There was a lot of discussion in this thread about Apple not writing the correct drivers or something.

Not being an expert, what I think mattystonnie's SSDT and CMMChris' kext do is inject the correct framebuffer.

In addition, using the VGTab or CMMChris' spreadsheet, you can adjust the core clock and memory clock, fan speeds, and the temperature thresholds when the fans turn on, and how fast they spin. These output a Power Play Table that you can inject as a kext or in the Device Properties. I can't seem to master the fans myself. They are either off or spin too high. I think if I played with the settings I could figure it out, but in the end, I don't really need to overclock.

You can check out these SSDT's in CaseySJ's guide. They inject Power Play Tables and they work well for fan control. If these don't work for your needs, then you'll have to figure out your own settings with the VGTab or the spreadsheet.

But what exactly does this do? From his description, it seems to enhance performance on navi cards. But it doesn't seem to do anything to turn on the fans. On my Big Sur at least I don't hear the GPU fans. When I quickly reboot into Windows, I see that the GPU has reached around 50 C (with VRAM at around 55 C) and the fans are definitely going.

But not in macos. When does macos think it's necessary to turn on the damned GPU fans? When the GPU's at around 50 C, my Samsung nvme is around 57 C. Maybe it's okay for the GPU to idle at that temp, but it's cooking my nvme drive.

Do I have another lemon GPU?

S

But what exactly does this do?
literally nothing but inflate Geekbench scores. There are zero real world benefits. Utterly pointless unless you define yourself thru Geekbench lol

Back