Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

Yes. If Vega 64 is in PCIe Slot 1, then we would enter this:
View attachment 466047
The device path is: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Correction: The property name should be AAPL,model (not "model"). Looks like I stand uncorrected! :)
I applied your suggestion and add AMD Radeon Rx580 to devices and enabled igpu in bios now videoproc shows intel graphic instead of rx580
If i make igpu in bios as automatic instead of enabled , videoproc shows n/a in graphic option

I applied your suggestion and add AMD Radeon Rx580 to devices and enabled igpu in bios now videoproc shows intel graphic instead of rx580
If i make igpu in bios as automatic instead of enabled , videoproc shows n/a in graphic option

if you want the AMD card to show you have to changed the model in device properties to contain “AMD”. For example “AMD Radeon RX 580”.

What’s the best SMBIOS to use with Navi and Haswell? iMacPro1,1 gives great performance as it forces videotoolbox to use the Navi card but has stability issues. iMac15,1 is very stable but I am unable to get the dGPU to be used by videotoolbox. Any suggestions?

@slim.jim,

You pretty much answered your own question :).

I use the iMac15,1 SMBIOS on my Haswell 4790K system (see White Knight build in in my sig) however this SMBIOS expects the IGPU to be enabled and configured as headless as the iMac15,1 SMBIOS is optimised to use Intel Quick Sync for JPG & Video Encode/decode, Airplay .. etc.

If you want to force MacOS to use your dGPU for JPG & Video Encode/decode, Airplay .. etc then use the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. I did some testing with the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS myself and whist it was stable in the testing i did, the performance was not quite as good as the iMac15,1 SMBIOS which is what i've stuck with for years ...

There are currently no desktop SMBIOS's optimised specifically for Navi GPU's at this time (just the latest MBP ones), it is believed that Apple may be announcing a new iMac with a Navi dGPU at this months WWDC, however it will obviously be optimised for current gen CPU's and will most likely have a T2 chip.

I think most of the stability issues with Navi GPU's are down to the Apple AMD drivers as real Mac's are also experiencing issues such as random reboots/lockups and the VRAM not purging. Hopefully Apple will get around to resolving those issues in the coming weeks/months.

My advice is to stick with the iMac15,1 SMBIOS which is fully optimised for a Haswell 4790K CPU and wait for Apple to fix their buggy Navi drivers at which pint you could switch to the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS if you really want to use the the Navi dGPU for JPG & Video Encode/decode, Airplay .. etc.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@slim.jim,

You pretty much answered your own question :).

I use the iMac15,1 SMBIOS on my Haswell 4790K system (see White Knight build in in my sig) however this SMBIOS expects the IGPU to be enabled and configured as headless as the iMac15,1 SMBIOS is optimised to use Intel Quick Sync for JPG & Video Encode/decode, Airplay .. etc.

If you want to force MacOS to use your dGPU for JPG & Video Encode/decode, Airplay .. etc then use the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. I did some testing with the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS myself and whist it was stable in the testing i did, the performance was not quite as good as the iMac15,1 SMBIOS which is what i've stuck with for years ...

There are currently no desktop SMBIOS's optimised specifically for Navi GPU's at this time (just the latest MBP ones), it is believed that Apple may be announcing a new iMac with a Navi dGPU at this months WWDC, however it will obviously be optimised for current gen CPU's and will most likely have a T2 chip.

I think most of the stability issues with Navi GPU's is down to the Apple AMD drivers as real Mac's are also experiencing issues such as random reboots/lockups and the VRAM not purging. Hopefully Apple will get around to resolving those issues in the coming weeks/months.

My advice is to stick with the iMac15,1 SMBIOS which is fully optimised for a Haswell 4790K CPU and wait for Apple to fix their buggy Navi drivers at which pint you could switch to the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS if you really want to use the the Navi dGPU for JPG & Video Encode/decode, Airplay .. etc.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the reply, that's kind of what I figured. Was hoping to have HEVC hardware acceleration using the dGPU with iMac15,1 :(.

Was hoping to have HEVC hardware acceleration using the dGPU with iMac15,1

@slim.jim,

I figured that might it be something like that ...

As you are probably aware, IQS on Haswell CPU's/IGPU's only supports H264.
IQS was enhanced to support H265/HEVC on Skylake and later CPU's/IGPU's.

That said MacOS will fallback to very good software HVEC encoder/decoder on systems that don't support it natively on the IGPU and i've had no issues with playing HEVC content/streams. Obviously if you want to encode HVEC then thats a different story ....

Personally I don't encode anything in H265/HVEC as it uses much higher compression than H264 and never looks as good IMO unless you use a very high bit rate in which case you may as well use H264.

I think HVEC's primary use was intended for mobile devices such as phones and tablets that have limited storage.

Cheers
Jay

@slim.jim,

I figured that might it be something like that ...

As you are probably aware, IQS on Haswell CPU's/IGPU's only supports H264.
IQS was enhanced to support H265/HEVC on Skylake and later CPU's/IGPU's.

That said MacOS will fallback to very good software HVEC encoder/decoder on systems that don't support it natively on the IGPU and i've had no issues with playing HEVC content/streams. Obviously if you want to encode HVEC then thats a different story ....

Personally I don't encode anything in H265/HVEC as it uses much higher compression than H264 and never looks as good IMO unless you use a very high bit rate in which case you may as well use H264.

I think HVEC's primary use was intended for mobile devices such as phones and tablets that have limited storage.

Cheers
Jay

Yea I have no issues viewing H.265 files, it's encoding and without HW acceleration they are only encoding at 5-10 FPS. With acceleration I was getting 200+ FPS but stability was an issue with iMacPro1,1. I have been encoding movies for my home server as H.264 for years but started doing them as H.265 recently. At a similar or slightly higher bitrate the H.265 files look better and have significantly smaller files sizes. Quality is subjective though but I could cut down my library size by 30% or so by re-encoding as H.265.

Hey there, I'm trying to make sense of what I need doing to boost my 5700xt 50 anniversary.

Using OC I tried the following for test 1:
1. I've added the SSDT-NAVI-RX5700XT.aml in ACPI folder, implemented in config.plist
2. I removed WhateverGreen.kext from Kexts
(Argument still on for agdpmod=pikera, all tho I think is redundant since this a wg argument)

Result: just one monitor was working via dp out of 2.

Test 2:
1. I left SSDT-NAVI-RX5700XT.aml in ACPI folder, implemented in config.plist
2. Added back in the WG
3. Added the RadeonBoost.kext, implemented in config.plist

Result: both monitors working. Increased the OpenCL result, lowered the Metal score :))

What am I missing? Maybe I'm using an old RadeonBoost.kext (this one I used was from May) Is there any new one?

Thanks,

Attachments

• metal.jpg
    metal.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 93
  • OPEN_CL.jpg
    OPEN_CL.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Hey there, I'm trying to make sense of what I need doing to boost my 5700xt 50 anniversary.

Using OC I tried the following for test 1:
1. I've added the SSDT-NAVI-RX5700XT.aml in ACPI folder, implemented in config.plist
2. I removed WhateverGreen.kext from Kexts
(Argument still on for agdpmod=pikera, all tho I think is redundant since this a wg argument)

Result: just one monitor was working via dp out of 2.

Test 2:
1. I left SSDT-NAVI-RX5700XT.aml in ACPI folder, implemented in config.plist
2. Added back in the WG
3. Added the RadeonBoost.kext, implemented in config.plist

Result: both monitors working. Increased the OpenCL result, lowered the Metal score :))

What am I missing? Maybe I'm using an old RadeonBoost.kext (this one I used was from May) Is there any new one?

Thanks,

You shouldn’t be using both the SSDT and the KEXT. It’s one or the other. In either case continue using WEG.

Hi, my Aorus RX5700xt is giving me some issues. I am using OC 0.5.9 on Catalina 10.15.5 supplemental.
My hack will sometimes take 3 or four attempts to boot. It gives the usual black screen after apple logo. I have AGPDmod=pikera. Have also tried 'ignore" with same results. Also unreliable wake up after sleep giving black screen as well.
Any suggestions or do I just need to wait for apple next update?
I attach config for you to look at

Attachments

• config.plist
    21.6 KB · Views: 96
Back