Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

How did you extract those logs, I'm curious to put my fingers on these as well (ssh in while it was frozen and cat system.log ?)

Run this: log stream --predicate 'process == "kernel"' --style syslog | tee -a ~/Desktop/kernel.log.stream.txt

And then when it crashes, it will be logged into that file.

I've been almost 48hrs now on my RX580 and no issues.. When Apple releases 10.15.5 I will try my 5700 xt again.

But ya, it's very frustrating.. Especially when you are on a Zoom call with a client !

@shampoo - I get the same errors the 2-3 times I tried to log the crashes.
@iDrakus - I tried clearing the hell of all caches, NVRAM, with MacCleaner > Execute All, nothing quite works. I get truly random crashes, sometimes 3 consecutive ones, other times I can work for 5-6 hours without a hiccup.

Letting the logging running, and looking at them, it does look like a GPU issue. Though @iDrakus has almost the same hardware and he reports no crashes since he switched to a iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS

I'm wondering what's the differentiating factor between us. @iDrakus what kind of GPU you have more specifically?

I have a Sapphire RX 5600 XT. @shampoo and @iDrakus have 5700XT', one crashes, other doesn't.

Guys, if you have the time, let's try these EFI's between us, here's iDrakus's MacProp Clover EFI and ModMike Open Core EFI (I replaces all SMBIOS related stuff to GENERATED_SMBIOS, put in your own numbers so we don't have iMessage issues)

Attachments

• EFI-iDrakus-Clover.zip
    38.9 MB · Views: 104
  • EFI-MadMike-OC.zip
    60 MB · Views: 143
Last edited:
@shampoo - I get the same errors the 2-3 times I tried to log the crashes.
@iDrakus - I tried clearing the hell of all caches, NVRAM, with MacCleaner > Execute All, nothing quite works. I get truly random crashes, sometimes 3 consecutive ones, other times I can work for 5-6 hours without a hiccup.

Letting the logging running, and looking at them, it does look like a GPU issue. Though @iDrakus has almost the same hardware and he reports no crashes since he switched to a iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS

I'm wondering what's the differentiating factor between us. @iDrakus what kind of GPU you have more specifically?

I have a Sapphire RX 5600 XT. @shampoo and @iDrakus have 5700XT', one crashes, other doesn't.

Guys, if you have the time, let's try these EFI's between us, here's iDrakus's MacProp Clover EFI and ModMike Open Core EFI (I replaces all SMBIOS related stuff to GENERATED_SMBIOS, put in your own numbers so we don't have iMessage issues)

I am using a Sapphire AMD 5700 XT Pulse graphics card. I use macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Final as the OS.

SMBIOS iMacPro1,1

I have been using this assembly based on Clover for more than two weeks and have not noticed a single screen freeze.

If I change SMBIOS to iMac19.1, the freezing will start on me.

Hello Don't panic,

As your configuration works, could it be possible to post your EFI configuration please.

Regards.

@peyrusse I am running iMacPro1,1 and I get GPU crashes.. I don't think it's a SMBIOS issue.

I think it's a hardware/driver issue. I have a Gigabyte Radeon Rx 5700 Xt Gaming OC 8G

My RX 580 is a Sapphire.. Maybe Sapphire is more Hackintosh friendly ?

@shampoo

I just bought a MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X. As soon as i'll get it, i will tell you if it works out of the box.

Do you have XMP enabled/disabled in bios and or clover? Have you tested with and without?

I can't even find that setting in my BIOS.. That being said, I am not sure what XMP would have to do with this GPU issue. When I look at the logs, it's pretty apparent that this is a GPU/Driver issue.. But, it's possible I am mistaken.

My problem has been entirely solved by using a RX580, no other changes. I am going to wait for 10.15.5 and try again.

I can't even find that setting in my BIOS.. That being said, I am not sure what XMP would have to do with this GPU issue. When I look at the logs, it's pretty apparent that this is a GPU/Driver issue.. But, it's possible I am mistaken.

My problem has been entirely solved by using a RX580, no other changes. I am going to wait for 10.15.5 and try again.
Using my Radeon Vii I was having freeze issues, after setting XMP memory profile in bios it fixed the issue.
XMP is a DDR memory setting in bios under Frequency settings.

Using my Radeon Vii I was having freeze issues, after setting XMP memory profile in bios it fixed the issue.
XMP is a DDR memory setting in bios under Frequency settings.

*Edit*

It's not an option in my BIOS because my RAM doesn't support it..
Not sure it's worth the risk to buy more RAM only to find that isn't the problem...

Last edited:
Back