Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

@pastrychef - I'm having exactly @iDrakus 's issues (screen freeze, no KP), but I don't think the problem is entirely related to XMP / Overclocking.

I have XMP II profile selected in BIOS, and all the different types of getting stuck have one thing in common, they are display only:
- I was in a meeting, camera was still working and the guys could still see me
- Some guy was writing to me on Skype and I still heard his writing notification while the display was stuck

iDrakus gave me his EFI and I used it most of the day, without any blockers, now I switched back to my OpenCore modified EFI based on @ModMike 's work to try and iron out more of this issue and I can't reproduce it now.

I have to 2x LG27UK670 4K @ 60Hz display plugged in the DP ports.

I'll attach my EFI later here for posterity's sake.

@pastrychef - I'm having exactly @iDrakus 's issues (screen freeze, no KP), but I don't think the problem is entirely related to XMP / Overclocking.

I have XMP II profile selected in BIOS, and all the different types of getting stuck have one thing in common, they are display only:
- Some guy was writing to me on Skype and I still heard his writing notification while the display was stuck

iDrakus gave me his EFI and I used it most of the day, without any blockers, now I switched back to my OpenCore modified EFI based on @ModMike 's work to try and iron out more of this issue and I can't reproduce it now.

I think that the iMac19.1 is simply not compatible with our monitor from LG 4K.

As an experiment, try setting DisplayPort 1.2 in the monitor settings (1.4 is enabled by default), and then restart the computer.

Perhaps this will also solve the problem.

I think that the iMac19.1 is simply not compatible with our monitor from LG 4K.

As an experiment, try setting DisplayPort 1.2 in the monitor settings (1.4 is enabled by default), and then restart the computer.

Perhaps this will also solve the problem.
Yup, DisplayPort 1.2 is already set from a previous thing with a MacBook.

What app did you use to stress test your machine to make it freeze quicker?
Now even after I reseted the NVRAM and I'm back to my previous OpenCore EFI I can't manage to make it freeze :))

MSI EVOKE but I'm trading it out for a Powercolor.

Hi @Gigamaxx, I found a good deal, here in France, for an MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT EVOKE OC... Is it a good GPU for Catalina (and Win10)? Are there any known issues with it?
Thank you.

MSI.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @Gigamaxx, I found a good deal, here in France, for an MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT EVOKE OC... Is it a good GPU for Catalina (and Win10)? Are there any known issues with it?
Thank you.
It works good, it is not as powerful as some of the others, no dual bios switch etc... but it runs very smooth.

Yup, DisplayPort 1.2 is already set from a previous thing with a MacBook.

What app did you use to stress test your machine to make it freeze quicker?
Now even after I reseted the NVRAM and I'm back to my previous OpenCore EFI I can't manage to make it freeze :))
I use Movavi Premium Converter, disabling the quick conversion feature in the settings.

Then I start the conversion of five films from MKV to MP4, which takes about one hour. If I use iMac19.1, my computer never passes this test.

I have the same issue as you.. I have a 4K monitor (display port) and a 1920x1200 (HDMI) and it crashes in the same fashion as you.. Especially when I am on a Zoom conference call. The desktop freezes but I can ssh in and audio works and the mic works but eventually the Windowmanager restarts and logs me out. I have the logs for it and it's definitely caused by the driver.

I am very skeptical this is an XMP problem. I am fairly certain this is caused by the driver for Navi cards. If you google the errors in my log file you'll see that several people with real Macs using eGPU's and a 5700 XT are having the same issues.

Maybe 10.15.5 will take care of this for us.. Until then, I have switched my 5700xt for a RX580 and so far no issues.

Attachments

• crash_log.txt
    23.4 KB · Views: 78
I have the same issue as you.. I have a 4K monitor (display port) and a 1920x1200 (HDMI) and it crashes in the same fashion as you.. Especially when I am on a Zoom conference call. The desktop freezes but I can ssh in and audio works and the mic works but eventually the Windowmanager restarts and logs me out. I have the logs for it and it's definitely caused by the driver.

I am very skeptical this is an XMP problem. I am fairly certain this is caused by the driver for Navi cards. If you google the errors in my log file you'll see that several people with real Macs using eGPU's and a 5700 XT are having the same issues.

Maybe 10.15.5 will take care of this for us.. Until then, I have switched my 5700xt for a RX580 and so far no issues.

Yeah, I've been a bit hopeless today, I had like ~20 freezes (switched through modmike's and idrakus's EFIs), and I'm trying to use it as my main work machine. Frustrating as hell.

How did you extract those logs, I'm curious to put my fingers on these as well (ssh in while it was frozen and cat system.log ?)

I really want to get this working :). I'm switching from my MacBook Pro 2017 as I have really bad performance driving 2 4K displays and having all the work software running.

Back