Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

Has anyone tried running a Navi card with system definition iMac 14,2?
I'm looking to buy a 5500 or 5600 but my Haswell processor is on iMac 14,2.
Thanks for sharing

Has anyone tried running a Navi card with system definition iMac 14,2? .. I'm looking to buy a 5500 or 5600 but my Haswell processor is on iMac 14,2.

@phoenixAL,

Best bet is to give it a go and see what happens, i expect that it will work fine as long as you follow the recommendations for Navi GPU's as detailed in this thread.

If you run into issues and you don't need to use SideCar then you could switch to the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS (with IGPU disabled) which does work well with Haswell CPU's + AMD GPU although you may need to use the CPUFriend kext to get native CPU power management working :-

https://github.com/acidanthera/CPUFriend

Cheers
Jay

Best bet is to give it a go and see what happens, i expect that it will work fine as long as you follow the recommendations for Navi GPU's as detailed in this thread.
Thanks for the advice. As I understand it's just a matter of adding the Navi boot flag and have Lilu + WEG.
I am really afraid to change system definition, but if iMacPro1,1 has my old processor covered I guess it's a safe bet.
Thanks!

@mattystonnie @oli.mathieu

I have asus tuf mark 1 with 7900x , I am testing this ssdt with these properties in config adder in my clover that I do not know if they are completely correct for my platform, I use a sapphire 5700xt nitro plus.

It has started me, I cannot see the temperature of the 5700xt but if it gives me more punctuation in the tests

Should I change something in this dsdt or is it valid for all asus x299? Are the properties in clover the same for all 5700xt models?

Yes you can inject the properties in Clover, its safe.

I am really afraid to change system definition, but if iMacPro1,1 has my old processor covered I guess it's a safe bet.

@phoenixAL,

Just make sure to backup you current EFI folder before making any changes.

I tried the iMacPro SMBIOS on my Haswell i7-4790K + Vega 64 GPU system and it worked fine, just make sure you generate a new set of critical system id's (SerialNo, MLB, ROM .. etc) and make sure to check that new S/N is valid but not registered.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the advice. As I understand it's just a matter of adding the Navi boot flag and have Lilu + WEG.
Thanks!

Format a small USB stick as FAT32 and then put the EFI folder in the root. Then set your boot priority to be USB and boot from the USB stick. That's what I do for testing and I also keep a current backup of a working EFI folder incase I ever mess anything up and can't boot Clover or macOS of the SSD.

Yes you can inject the properties in Clover, its safe.
I am using the dsdt that you have made to oli.mathieu and same properties.
Testing
For view temp of 5700xt ? Any solution?

I am using the dsdt that you have made to oli.mathieu and same properties.
Testing
For view temp of 5700xt ? Any solution?

I am wondering this too. I am using VirtualSMC and not sure what plugins I would need to add to get temperature monitoring. Or, do I need to switch back to FakeSMC.

At the time of posting, I was using the SSDT on post #818. I've since switched to the kext on post #830/850.
Thanks @pastrychef !

I read around 20 posts but I'm not sure about the chronology ...

1. WEG is not necessary anymore, better: it's detrimental. I will delete it.
  2. I have to load the other kext RadeonBoost.
  3. and I have to couple it with either the ssdt_mygpu.aml or to modify the mygpu properties in CloverConfig/Device/Properties list
Am i right or am I losing something?

Thanks @pastrychef !

I read around 20 posts but I'm not sure about the chronology ...

1. WEG is not necessary anymore, better: it's detrimental. I will delete it.
  2. I have to load the other kext RadeonBoost.
  3. and I have to couple it with either the ssdt_mygpu.aml or to modify the mygpu properties in CloverConfig/Device/Properties list
Am i right or am I losing something?

• WhateverGreen was causing kernel panics on wake from sleep for me, so I removed it.
  • After removing WhateverGreen, only the HDMI port and the DisplayPort furthest away from HDMI are working. This is fine for me since I only have one monitor.
  • I installed the RadeonBoost.kext.
  • I added my own PowerPlay Table to config.plist device properties.

Back