Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

@CMMChris,

Nice job collating the optimum AMD GPU Device Properties in to a common kext :thumbup:

I'm running a AMD Vega 64 Liquid Cooled GPU.

Like others I found that using your GPU Device Properties along with my existing Soft PP Table that has 1.10 Ghz Overclock on the HBM Memory does indeed give a considerable boost to GeekBench 5 compute scores :-

I've always wondered why Geekbench scores have been low in MacOS ... so it's good that you have provided the answer.

Before new Device Properties :-

View attachment 462818

After new Device Properties

View attachment 462817

Thats an Increase of 36.2% for the OpenGL score and a 44 .1% increase for the Metal score.

Those are some big numbers ...
The question now is will we see these huge increases in GPU performance in other apps ? ...
Based on some preliminary testing I have to say No.

Running the LuxMark, Heaven and Valley benchmarks all produce the same score as they did before the new device properties where added. I also ran the BruceX benchmark in FCPX (which uses Metal) and that also produced the same score as before (around 8.6 seconds) .... but the jury is still out until i have done further back to back testing.

I did not use the kext, i simply copied the Device Properties for the Vega 64 from the info.plist and added them to my existing injected Device Properties for the Vega 64 in my config.plist.

Cheers
Jay

Hey, can you explain in detail how you do this in Device Properties? I also have a Vega 64 and I have no results with either ssdt or kext in Opencore's EFI. And if possible, send your EFI?

Last edited:
If it is a monitor then it is probably in RGB mode by default. I use a 43" Vizio 4K TV as my monitor so it has both color spaces. Glad it worked out.

Also in Windows I can set games to HDR and the TV recognizes it has HDR10 even though the UHD Color is off when in RGB mode.
Update:
While this works, my monitor doesn’t accept 60hz in 4K over HDMI unless Deep Color is on in its menu. Plus, gaming in Windows only supports Freesync over DisplayPort. I checked and both of those drawbacks are documented in its manual.
I could live with it and just remember to cold boot instead of restarting, and have an extra cable handy. But for convenience I’m going back to just a single DP. I guess this ruins my chances of DRM in MacOS because I’m on an iMac19,1 smbios and headless IGPU, but I prefer to have Sidecar working for my creative projects. I’m not planning on consuming DRM’d content on this machine. RadeonBoost doesn’t work with WEG/shiki anyway.

Hey, can you explain in detail how you do this in Device Properties? I also have a Vega 64 and I have no results with either ssdt or kext in Opencore's EFI. And if possible, send your EFI?

With Open Core you will have to edit the config file and add the ssdt there, works with weg too.

Hey, can you explain in detail how you do this in Device Properties? I also have a Vega 64 and I have no results with either ssdt or kext in Opencore's EFI.

@LuizMeliga,

Injection of Device Properties via Clover for Vega 56/64 is detailed in this guide :-

Cheers
Jay

Update:
While this works, my monitor doesn’t accept 60hz in 4K over HDMI unless Deep Color is on in its menu. Plus, gaming in Windows only supports Freesync over DisplayPort. I checked and both of those drawbacks are documented in its manual.
I could live with it and just remember to cold boot instead of restarting, and have an extra cable handy. But for convenience I’m going back to just a single DP. I guess this ruins my chances of DRM in MacOS because I’m on an iMac19,1 smbios and headless IGPU, but I prefer to have Sidecar working for my creative projects. I’m not planning on consuming DRM’d content on this machine. RadeonBoost doesn’t work with WEG/shiki anyway.

Just following up, I received the Club3d DP 1.4 -> HDMI 2.0b adapter today and sure enough reboot works fine with Full UHD color enabled while using the adapter. However, the test image looks better for me with Full UHD turned off, in RGB mode AND not using the adapter so I will probably just leave it that way and use HDMI without the adapter.

Just following up, I received the Club3d DP 1.4 -> HDMI 2.0b adapter today and sure enough reboot works fine with Full UHD color enabled while using the adapter. However, the test image looks better for me with Full UHD turned off, in RGB mode AND not using the adapter so I will probably just leave it that way and use HDMI without the adapter.
Could you check DRM

So i manage to improve the injection, I think it's close to perfection.

To install just drag and drop into EFI folder->CLOVER->ACPI->Patched , remove WEG, no need for device properties injection. You may need agdpmod=pikera, for me it worked without it, I booted fine.

Safari DRM content only works with HDMI cable.

For RX 5500XT, RX 5700XT/5600XT, RX Vega 64.

Just to be sure, with this above, do we still have to set a framebuffer name like "Adder", "Kamarang", "Iriri" or "Araguaia"? We set this name through Clover Configurator (for example) in Graphics->FB Name, is that right?
The recommendation to add the patch "PEGP to EGP0" was indeed about this post and these files?
Usually I keep checked "Load VBios". Can it interfere?
Thank you for all the work and time spent on the forum and development.

(Incidentally, I use VirtualSMC and all kexts in /L/E. - Clover r5112 - Monitor via DP - iMacPro1,1 definition)

Last edited:
Back