Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

So I've been doing further testing and it seems like this method (or at least the kext) does not work in 10.15.5 beta

I reinstalled Catalina on a spare drive and used the same Clover EFI (with RadeonBoost.kext) that was failing to boot on 10.15.5. It booted and works perfectly.

50k GB score has now turned into 75k.

So:

10.15.2:
Kext works with Radeon VII and Radeon 5700XT

10.15.5 beta:
Kext only works with Radeon VII. 5700XT panics before login screen.

@CMMChris not sure if you want to look into this currently or wait until 10.15.5 is actually released, but there's a chance that Apple is messing with GPU drivers which is causing the kext to fail with some cards.

In the same boat with a 5700. No signal at p.o.s.t. when restarting from MacOS, only from cold boot or from Windows. Never kicks on rebooting from MacOS, even though I know it reached the countdown to boot my OS from Clover.
I happened to have a Club3D, the older version, so I gave it a shot. The DP side was attached to my monitor and the HDMI to the GPU. Didn't work with my LG 27UD68 4k display unfortunately. Not sure if this adapter is bi-directional. YMMV but if you already ordered the unit please let us know what happens.

After ordering the part I discovered that putting the display in RGB mode and turning off Full UHD color for the input everything works fine. So it’s something to do with YCbCr 4:4:4. You still get full color support with RGB since 4:4:4 chroma is trying to mimic RGB color. Blu-ray are encoded with YCbCr but computers output RGB. Turning off Full UHD color though I loose the ability to turn on HDR, not a deal breaker though. Use the attached imaged to test 4:4:4 or RGB. The bottom two lines should be easy to read with sharp clean text, no color bleed.

I will still post my results here when the adapter arrives.

Attachments

• chroma-444.png
    chroma-444.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
It does the same thing, use what you like.

The SSDT mimics a real mac frame-buffer injection, low power consumption, sleep/wake, second stage loading screen, with the cost that some ports will not work.

RadeonBoost uses the generic radeon framebuffer used by mac + eGPU(external GPU) with the injections of other frame buffers proprieties, power consumption can be high.

Where are the latest versions? Maybe you can start another topic with guide and post in first page so they are easy to find?

Last edited:
After ordering the part I discovered that putting the display in RGB mode and turning off Full UHD color for the input everything works fine. So it’s something to do with YCbCr 4:4:4. You still get full color support with RGB since 4:4:4 chroma is trying to mimic RGB color. Blu-ray are encoded with YCbCr but computers output RGB. Turning off Full UHD color though I loose the ability to turn on HDR, not a deal breaker though. Use the attached imaged to test 4:4:4 or RGB. The bottom two lines should be easy to read with sharp clean text, no color bleed.

I will still post my results here when the adapter arrives.
Nice discovery! My LG is non-HDR, but setting UHD Deep Color to Off in the LG's menu seems to work. This monitor doesn't seem to have the ability to change between YCbCr and RGB specifically but the image you attached is clear. I get picture after rebooting Catalina now.
Thanks!

Here, Opencore does not read the kext at all. And .aml makes me lose HDMI monitoring (black screen after boot) with and without WG.

Here, Opencore does not read the kext at all. And .aml makes me lose HDMI monitoring (black screen after boot) with and without WG.

agdpmod=pikeraboot args, use with .aml

Is it recommended to use WEG?

Nice discovery! My LG is non-HDR, but setting UHD Deep Color to Off in the LG's menu seems to work. This monitor doesn't seem to have the ability to change between YCbCr and RGB specifically but the image you attached is clear. I get picture after rebooting Catalina now.
Thanks!
If it is a monitor then it is probably in RGB mode by default. I use a 43" Vizio 4K TV as my monitor so it has both color spaces. Glad it worked out.

Also in Windows I can set games to HDR and the TV recognizes it has HDR10 even though the UHD Color is off when in RGB mode.

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for the great job. The kext does as advertised.

Sapphire RX480 OC Nitro+ > RX580 here. Everything runs great, also with WEG.

Last edited:
Back