Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

New version with support for RX590 and Vega Frontier.
@Leesureone I had someone else test it with OpenCore and it did work fine for him. Issue seems to be on your end.
Maybe, appreciate the follow up. Every other kext works perfectly so its odd. There are a few other things to try that shouldn't make a difference but I'll give it another shot when I have time to test again and report back.

@CMMChris,

Nice job collating the optimum AMD GPU Device Properties in to a common kext :thumbup:

I'm running a AMD Vega 64 Liquid Cooled GPU.

Like others I found that using your GPU Device Properties along with my existing Soft PP Table that has 1.10 Ghz Overclock on the HBM Memory does indeed give a considerable boost to GeekBench 5 compute scores :-

I've always wondered why Geekbench scores have been low in MacOS ... so it's good that you have provided the answer.

Before new Device Properties :-

Before.png

After new Device Properties

After.png

Thats an Increase of 36.2% for the OpenGL score and a 44 .1% increase for the Metal score.

Those are some big numbers ...
The question now is will we see these huge increases in GPU performance in other apps ? ...
Based on some preliminary testing I have to say No.

Running the LuxMark, Heaven and Valley benchmarks all produce the same score as they did before the new device properties where added. I also ran the BruceX benchmark in FCPX (which uses Metal) and that also produced the same score as before (around 8.6 seconds) .... but the jury is still out until i have done further back to back testing.

I did not use the kext, i simply copied the Device Properties for the Vega 64 from the info.plist and added them to my existing injected Device Properties for the Vega 64 in my config.plist.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I have also tried your kext and it works great with Opencore and my RX5700XT. I still need to enable WEG. That is probably because I use DP as connection to my display. When using HDMI i can start without WEG. But I think WEG is needed for DRM anyway...

@jaymonkey If you closer inspect the Geekbench results you will notice that just some of the sub-tests score higher. So it's very specific workloads that do benefit. On my Hackintosh I do observe slightly higher maximum and minimum framerates in Valley when using RadeonBoost. In BasemarkGPU the maximum framerate goes much higher which doesn't affect the final score all that much though. When gaming, I noticed considerable improvements in Dirt4. Some tracks that usually stutter on the VII with max settings now run smooth. Regarding productive workloads I haven't tested anything so far.

@lupinio4 @leto1210 Whatevergreen is not necessary. If you don't use Whatevergreen you of course have to add the patches this kext does automatically to your config. In a nutshell you need the AGDP board-id patch and PEGP to GFX0 rename. I also recommend to disable the IGPU and use the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS when using Polaris, Navi10, Navi14, Vega10 and Vega20 cards. This gives you working DRM for Netflix in Safari and enables video encoding / decoding through the AMD card.

If you closer inspect the Geekbench results you will notice that just some of the sub-tests score higher. So it's very specific workloads that do benefit. On my Hackintosh I do observe slightly higher maximum and minimum framerates in Valley when using RadeonBoost. In BasemarkGPU the maximum framerate goes much higher which doesn't affect the final score all that much though.

@CMMChris,

Thanks for this info, i re-run some tests again back to back and look a bit more closer at the results.

Cheers
Jay

Hi all,
I think you are playing with synthetic tests but there are no any benefits in real world with hacked framebuffer.

I make tests in real scenes with Apple Motion and Blender RadeonPro Render. The render time speed increase to 2% with RadeonBoost.kext (6.44 secs vs 6.51 secs) in Blender and FPS increase from 18 to 19 in Motion with my own scene.

You can play around with my test scene for Blender 2.82 with RPR 2.3.4

But yes, geekbench 5.1.1 show dramatically increase performance up to 74100 metal scores with 5700 XT.

Attachments

• RyzenGraphic_27_prorender.blend.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 114
New version with support for RX590 and Vega Frontier.
@Leesureone I had someone else test it with OpenCore and it did work fine for him. Issue seems to be on your end.

I think its the MacOS folder name it is different from the RadeonBoost kext name. Executable path is the key.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 3.47.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 3.47.18 PM.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 191
I think its the MacOS folder name it is different from the RadeonBoost kext name. Executable path is the key.
So if I understand right its the way the kext is written, makes no difference to clover users but to load it in OpenCore I'd have to enter this way in the config.plist? (please see below) I think I'll wait until folks like @jaymonkey check in on real world performance anyway but good to know one way or the other.

RadeonBoost.png

So if I understand right its the way the kext is written, makes no difference to clover users but to load it in OpenCore I'd have to enter this way in the config.plist? (please see below) I think I'll wait until folks like @jaymonkey check in on real world performance anyway but good to know one way or the other.

View attachment 462997
Correct, this is the way to activate it. Along with placing it in the Kexts folder. However, you need to spell correctly. PropertyInjector. Looks like your missing the "y"

Back