Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

Yea for compute workloads that is expected because macOS uses aggressive powersaving. Disabling automatic undervolting and clock gating by injecting these properties for your card might boost your compute performance considerably at the expense of some power saving:
PP_DisableDIDT=1 (clockgating)
PP_DisableULV=1 (undervolting)

Noob question, but I believe this is done in config.plist under Devices -> Properties -> (PCI ID), like this:

Code:
                <key>Properties</key>
                <dict>
                        <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
                        <dict>
                                <key>PP_DisableDIDT</key>
                                <integer>1</integer>
                                <key>PP_DisableULV</key>
                                <integer>1</integer>
                        </dict>
                </dict>

Is that correct?

Note that I don't quite believe gfxutil -f display when it gave me that PCI path:

Code:
% ./gfxutil -f display
DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
% ./dspci | grep VGA
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] (null) [1002:731f] (rev c1) (subsys 1002:0b36)

But that gets into the noob part again. :)

Last edited:
Device Path should be right. I did some experimenting myself. It appears that you need PP,PP_DisableULV instead of just PP_DisableULV in order to override the already existing property. You need Whatevergreen for that but I guess you are using it anyways.

That said, I did not notice any substantial improvement applying these settings (I verified with ioreg that they are indeed correctly injected). Just 400 Points in cinebench.

Maybe you need a PowerplayTable in order to remove automatic undervolting. See here in how to generate one:

Please note that when you inject this table without making changes you basically get the reference card settings as it overrules the settings that are saved in your cards firmware ("vbios").

Have anyone tried of to use a programm like InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere or AfterEffects with the RT 5700 XT?
Mine is working fine, BUT none of my applications are using it, so in general the hardware acceleration is NOT working!
Has anyone this problem too?

Have anyone tried of to use a programm like InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere or AfterEffects with the RT 5700 XT?
Mine is working fine, BUT none of my applications are using it, so in general the hardware acceleration is NOT working!
Has anyone this problem too?

What system definition are you using?

I'm using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS as well, and my Adobe CC 2020 programs do recognize the GPU (see attached screenshots from Photoshop and InDesign).

Attachments

• IDCC2020.jpg
    IDCC2020.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 169
  • PSCC2020.jpg
    PSCC2020.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 165
I'm using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS as well, and my Adobe CC 2020 programs do recognize the GPU (see attached screenshots from Photoshop and InDesign).
Strange, what's could be wrong then?

Not really sure. I updated to the CC 2020 suite last week, after installing the 5700 XT a couple of weeks earlier. I never checked Adobe's recognition of the GPU under the old (CC 2019) suite and, to be honest, hadn't checked the CC 2020 suite until just now. Comparing your info against mine (attached), I see you're using the Beta of 10.15.1. And our CPUs are different.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 11.36.20 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 11.36.20 AM.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
I am on 10.15.1 , SMBIOS iMacPro, WEG+ Boot arg.
I am using Benq 32 Monitor 4K with DP. My problem is that I have laggy screen easy to see when volume up and down buttons are pressed the volume indicator bricks moving very slow. When I use only iGPU, everything is fast and smooth. But, on GPU is little laggy. How can i fix this?

Edit:

No WEG No Boot Arg. makes it more bearable.

Last edited:
Device Path should be right. I did some experimenting myself. It appears that you need PP,PP_DisableULV instead of just PP_DisableULV in order to override the already existing property. You need Whatevergreen for that but I guess you are using it anyways.

That said, I did not notice any substantial improvement applying these settings (I verified with ioreg that they are indeed correctly injected). Just 400 Points in cinebench.

Maybe you need a PowerplayTable in order to remove automatic undervolting. See here in how to generate one:

Please note that when you inject this table without making changes you basically get the reference card settings as it overrules the settings that are saved in your cards firmware ("vbios").

Well, the reference settings didn't work at all (black screen after the apple logo loading screen). However, I went in and added the PP,PP_DisableULV and PP,PP_DisableDIDT settings while removing the PowerPlay table (using Recovery, sigh), and it seems to have made a big difference for me. The game I am using to compare is Subnautica. Before the change, I got substantial stutters to the point of dying while it was stuttering (danged Crashfish!). Very smooth after the change, so this (even without the PowerPlay table modifications) seems to have solved at least the immediate problem.

iMacPro1,1, WEG, boot arg, and these modifications now.

Edit: After playing for a few minutes, it's not perfect. Swinging the view around rapidly, entering the lifepod (similar to swinging the view) and using the Fabricator (lots of graphics changes at once) does bog it down a little. Is there a way to pull the current settings off the card, then I could compare that to the spreadsheet and decide what I want to tweak from there, instead of starting at the reference specs? I suppose I should ask that in the IM forum really.

Last edited:
Back