Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

Yes, it's not a bad start. I also really like how the fan sounds!

Do you know any trick in order to see the clock and temperature? I'm using VirtualSMC (with dependencies) but iStat Menu doesn't find it. Using the "old" command line, it also says 0 for every value..
View attachment 436047

Everything seemed to work fine but now it started to slow down the entire system.. I'm getting tons of errorsView attachment 436053
For temps I'm using Slice Fakesmc along with modified RadeonMonitor.kexts for Navi (I can provide if you need them), however all I can see is temps in real time with iStatMenus app with clock/processor bars, no numbers tho.

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 8.10.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 8.10.19 PM.png

About the errors I have no idea, my Sapphire reference 5700XT runs flawlessly on anything I'm testing it with, not even a fan problem as it was with my Vega 64.
You might need a fresh install or maybe new version release to have even more stability I think.

For temps I'm using Slice Fakesmc along with modified RadeonMonitor.kexts for Navi (I can provide if you need them), however all I can see is temps in real time with iStatMenus app with clock/processor bars, no numbers tho.

View attachment 436071View attachment 436072

About the errors I have no idea, my Sapphire reference 5700XT runs flawlessly on anything I'm testing it with, not even a fan problem as it was with my Vega 64.
You might need a fresh install or maybe new version release to have even more stability I think.

Just tried it, but without DSDT for sensors I can't get all the informations. GPU is however detected correctly..
Schermata 2019-11-15 alle 21.07.12.png

I also tried to use VirtualSMC with FakeSMC+RadeonMonitor (without others dependencies for FakeSMC), of course it didn't boot. I hope that someone will be able to edit VirtualSMC to support Navi

I also tried to use VirtualSMC with FakeSMC+RadeonMonitor
If I understand correctly, you used VirtualSMC with FakeSMC? if yes then its wrong coz VirtualSMC is the alternative to FakeSMC and vise versa, never both.. And each one has its own plug-ins, you cannot mix them.
VirtualSMC, Rehabman FakeSMC and Slice FakeSMC are three different solutions and are never to be used together.

A hint: RadeonMonitor belongs to Slice FakeSMC, FakeSMC_GPUSensors to Rehabman FakeSMC, VirtualSMC has no GPU indicator plug-in.

If I understand correctly, you used VirtualSMC with FakeSMC? if yes then its wrong coz VirtualSMC is the alternative to FakeSMC and vise versa, never both.. And each one has its own plug-ins, you cannot mix them.
VirtualSMC, Rehabman FakeSMC and Slice FakeSMC are three different solutions and are never to be used together.

A hint: RadeonMonitor belongs to Slice FakeSMC, FakeSMC_GPUSensors to Rehabman FakeSMC, VirtualSMC has no GPU indicator plug-in.

I know that it’s wrong to mix them, I tried just for curiosity!
I read the topic about the creation of a custom DSDT for Slice's FakeSMC but I didn't understand almost anything..

However with my old Vega 64 and VirtualSMC I was able to get GPU temp.
Now I have only GPU and VRAM loads in iStat Menus as far as concerns Navi

View attachment 436071View attachment 436072

Where i get radeonmonitor.kext?
I no see temp and clock

I no see temp and clock

I have this one , I hope this will work with your newer RX 5700 XT.

Attachments

• RadeonMonitor.kext.zip
    24.9 KB · Views: 186
I no see temp and clock
This one is modified for 5700XT and works with Slice FakeSMC. However you need to create SSDT in order to have System fans indication, this is how Slice plug-ins work, I personally didn't bother to create that.

Attachments

• RadeonMonitor.kext.zip
    14 KB · Views: 176
However with my old Vega 64 and VirtualSMC I was able to get GPU temp.
I had that, too, on my Vega 64 but I think that was from iStatMenus not from VirtualSMC plug-in, HWSensors-3_r240 had that ability as well but depending on the GPU indication command not depending on any plug-in.
Now as for iStatMenus 6.40 there is no temps info for my Navi, let's hope newer version can add that option.

I had that, too, on my Vega 64 but I think that was from iStatMenus not from VirtualSMC plug-in, HWSensors-3_r240 had that ability as well but depending on the GPU indication command not depending on any plug-in.
Now as for iStatMenus 6.40 there is no temps info for my Navi, let's hope newer version can add that option.

Yes, maybe when a real Mac will get Navi..

However, I was investigating about my issue after sleep.
I saw from TechPowerUp's VGA BIOS Collection that every RX 5700 XT with blower cooler (no matter if from Gigabyte, Sapphire or AMD) are exactly the same, only minor aesthetics changes; mine from example have the Gigabyte brand in the fan.
The only difference might be the memory productor (Micron or Samsung); device ID, vendor and BIOS are the same.

Yes, maybe when a real Mac will get Navi..

However, I was investigating about my issue after sleep.
I saw from TechPowerUp's VGA BIOS Collection that every RX 5700 XT with blower cooler (no matter if from Gigabyte, Sapphire or AMD) are exactly the same, only minor aesthetics changes; mine from example have the Gigabyte brand in the fan.
The only difference might be the memory productor (Micron or Samsung); device ID, vendor and BIOS are the same.
Thats right, all reference are from AMD only, if you watch "Actually Hardcore Overclocking" YouTube channel, the guy is an expert on GPU electronics and stuff, he does the most detailed analyses on GPU boards components and he said exactly the same about reference branding.

And even more interesting, he said that "the reference 5700 XT has the most high quality components and any other AIB board is like a downgrade from it", so I see that a very big deal tbh, therefore I got my Sapphire 5700XT reference.

Edit: The video is uploaded to "Gamers Nexus" channel but from the same guy.

Last edited:
Back