Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

Man, I'm having so many problems now with the new beta its freezing now when i refresh safari but only after it wakes from sleep

OK. My issues from before are fixed for some reason using DisplayPort caused too many issues with micro lag HEVC and Netflix using HDMI fixed it all on beta 2. BUT now on beta 3 on first boot everything works perfect. When I resume from sleep, watching Netflix on Safari or opening videoproc and refreshing, H264 or HEVC freezes the computer. I'm guessing it has to do with graphics acceleration causing it. Can someone with beta 3 try booting up, log in sleep your hack wake and try to play a video on Netflix and confirm if it freezes or not for now I reverted back to beta 2 as its working perfect using HDMI.

Last edited:
Man, I'm having so many problems now with the new beta its freezing now when i refresh safari but only after it wakes from sleep

OK. My issues from before are fixed for some reason using DisplayPort caused too many issues with micro lag HEVC and Netflix using HDMI fixed it all on beta 2. BUT now on beta 3 on first boot everything works perfect. When I resume from sleep, watching Netflix on Safari or opening videoproc and refreshing, H264 or HEVC freezes the computer. I'm guessing it has to do with graphics acceleration causing it. Can someone with beta 3 try booting up, log in sleep your hack wake and try to play a video on Netflix and confirm if it freezes or not for now I reverted back to beta 2 as its working perfect using HDMI.

Sleep issues with Hackintosh are very complex and can have a number of various origins. There are bios settings, ACPI settings or masks, and also software versions or variables in those. Most Hackintosh users just simply turn off sleep to avoid the headaches associated with sleep and wake from sleep.
My Haswell systems seem to have less issues waking from sleep where as my Skylake setup never wakes from sleep correctly.
What I’ve had an issue with in Catalina especially the latest betas is audio. I have to switch the sound output devices then back to my LG tv in order for it to get audio back after a sleep or long pause in use. I know that a lot of users are having issues in Catalina with audio and AppleALC + Lilu. It will probably just take time for discovery and patches to get it worked out.

You can go to System Preferences and set your energy savings settings to never sleep and uncheck shut down hard drives etc... or you can mess with cStates settings in bios and clover to try to find a solution. Rehabman recommended shutting off sleep settings for all laptops in his guides and also has a Terminal command to aid in that.

Can someone please confirm if this is beta 2 or 3?

Attachments

• 7F440B3D-16F2-4C5F-BA0E-5F09677FFD47.jpeg
    7F440B3D-16F2-4C5F-BA0E-5F09677FFD47.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 177
Sapphire Pulse 5700 arrived. What would be the best order of steps to upgrade from High Sierra with a GTX 1060 (iGPU disabled) to Catalina... simply leave the 1060 in and upgrade, then swap to 5700 (and install WEG if needed)? I guess a lot of people will go down this path soon so it might make sense to put together a simple guide.

Also wondering whether I should wait for 10.15.1 to be publicly released as I haven't tried installing betas yet. Thanks in advance!

Sapphire Pulse 5700 arrived. What would be the best order of steps to upgrade from High Sierra with a GTX 1060 (iGPU disabled) to Catalina... simply leave the 1060 in and upgrade, then swap to 5700 (and install WEG if needed)? I guess a lot of people will go down this path soon so it might make sense to put together a simple guide.

Also wondering whether I should wait for 10.15.1 to be publicly released as I haven't tried installing betas yet. Thanks in advance!

I would remove the Nvidia card and set up IGPU HD4600 Graphics first. Then update clover lilu and WEG Kexts. Install Catalina beta 15.1 version 3 and then put the 5700XT in. Use WEG with boot arg agdpmod=pikera and disable the IGPU.

Use search to find a guide for Catalina on a z97 i7 4790k.
IGPU graphics settings are device ID 0x04138086, ig platform 0x0D230003
These settings will get you started for IGPU boot.

I did exactly the same with a 980 Ti and was successful.

My steps were:

0. MAKE A BACKUP!
1. Update all kext, clover and so on
2. Enable the IGPU and set primary display to it in the BIOS
3. Get it booting with the IGPU
4. Remove the old Nvidia card and the NV Web Drivers
5. Upgrade to Catalina
6. Upgrade to the least beta
7. Install WEG if you didn't have before and add "agdpmod=pikera" to the boot arguments
8. Shutdown and install the new Navi Card
9. Boot and enjoy :)

Maybe you have to change your SMBIOS definition to get hardware decoding working. This was the case for me.

Thanks to the both of you!

It took a while to get up to speed with lilu and WEG, but managed to get the IGPU running, Nvidia removed/uninstalled and updated to Catalina 10.15.0 without problems. That said, software update is not showing the beta (it is showing the computer is enrolled in the beta program, and my Macbook Air updated to the beta just fine)... hm.

Edit: Visiting https://apps.apple.com/in/app/macos-catalina-beta/id1455661060?mt=12 and clicking on the "get" link in the app store made the update appear in System Preferences.

Last edited:
Thanks to the both of you!

It took a while to get up to speed with lilu and WEG, but managed to get the IGPU running, Nvidia removed/uninstalled and updated to Catalina 10.15.0 without problems. That said, software update is not showing the beta (it is showing the computer is enrolled in the beta program, and my Macbook Air updated to the beta just fine)... hm.

Edit: Visiting https://apps.apple.com/in/app/macos-catalina-beta/id1455661060?mt=12 and clicking on the "get" link in the app store made the update appear in System Preferences.

You are my hero. I tried to enrol my iHacPro for public / developer beta. None of the downloaded profiles had worked for me. However with your link I was able to download the latest beta.

Back