Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

I am not sure if ffmpeg support HEVC hardware encoding on macOS. VideoProc seems to be the hackintoshers goto solution for testing Video en/decoding support. You can download the trial version on their side.

Edit: Did anyone test whether Netflix in Safari works (with disabled iGPU)?

Seems like a no...

1571577225222.png

Watching Netflix generates about 7% CPU load (of Chrome) and 5% GPU load according to Activity Monitor.app.

Update: as of 10/17/19 Apple has support for Navi cards in Catalina beta 15.1 version 2. So far all brands tested have been able to run with stable fans.

Sapphire Pulse, Gigabyte reference, XFX reference, MSI Evoke, Asus Rog Strix, have all been reported working with several different vbios versions.

Apple has begun to include some code for the upcoming Navi graphics cards in the Mojave 14.2 beta. The new AMDRadeon6000HWServiceskext has Navi code for a few different models. The new device ID is 0x73101002. We need to keep our eyes on this kext development for more news and support as its getting close to the "Navi-dad". we saw similar code in Sierra prior to the Vega release. Navi in 6 months?

View attachment 363339

View attachment 364927

A little further look shows the new 6000HWkext plugin (6000HWLibskext) shows only the Navi 10 code. This could be the Navi10 that has been predicted but there is also now Vega 12 and Vega 20 code snippets.

View attachment 381659

View attachment 381660

Apple is now using Vega GPUs in their MacBooks so this could be leading to or suggesting Navi MacBook devices along with the Vega devices currently being used in the AMDRadeon5000kext (Vega12, Vega20). This could also be Navi10 and Navi12 as predicted with subgroup parts Navi9 and Navi16 as mobile devices. Lots to speculate on here as we await the unveiling of these new products.

Mojave has added Vega 12 to the AMDRadeon5000kext with device IDs for the mobile Vega GPUs. The Vega 10 has been there since High Sierra in the same kext but did not have the added devices below under a separate heading of Vega12. We may see the same happen to the 6000kext set. We saw the Sierra AMD4000kext with Vega code but High Sierra came with the new AMD5000kext for the Vega cards.

View attachment 381661
Please recommend the best model for my hackintosh which is like the 50th anniversary and cool, custom refrigeration. Brand?

Seems like a no...

View attachment 431675

Watching Netflix generates about 7% CPU load (of Chrome) and 5% GPU load according to Activity Monitor.app.

1. You clicked on these little refresh buttons, right? Which SMBios are you using? HEVC with AMD Requires iMacPro1,1.

2. I was asking for Netflix because of DRM. Safari seems to be more picky about that. Can you try with Safari instead of Chrome?

1. You clicked on these little refresh buttons, right? Which SMBios are you using? HEVC with AMD Requires iMacPro1,1.

2. I was asking for Netflix because of DRM. Safari seems to be more picky about that. Can you try with Safari instead of Chrome?
Both enabled for me 5700 reference and no WEG, imacpro 1.1

Please recommend the best model for my hackintosh which is like the 50th anniversary and cool, custom refrigeration. Brand?

It seems the Gigabyte Gaming has the highest bench in OpenGL, so far.
Sapphire Pulse and Nitro have dual BIOS along with Powercolor brands. Dual BIOS is nice if you want to mod one of them to increase performance.
The liquid cooled models aren’t out, yet. But an anniversary edition along with an HK water block would be a nice option.

I am not sure if ffmpeg support HEVC hardware encoding on macOS. VideoProc seems to be the hackintoshers goto solution for testing Video en/decoding support. You can download the trial version on their side.

Edit: Did anyone test whether Netflix in Safari works (with disabled iGPU)?

LOL, videoproc is the “free” test. That’s why it’s so popular. Many of us are cheapskates I guess.

We really need someone to test or report Final Cut Pro and Adobe.

Bought a Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT yesterday. Haven't installed it yet, because I'm hoping to get my Clover config squared-away preemptively to hopefully head-off problems on boot once the card is installed.

A few questions:

1. If I keep WEG installed and do the boot argument agdpmod=pikera instead, do I keep the framebuffer patches I've been using? Back when I had High Sierra and was happily using my NVIDIA 1080, I did patches in Hackintool (I think the Platform ID was called "Headless") that resulted in, among other things, Airplay successfully working to my AppleTV. When I went to Mojave, I added Device Properties to clover config that disabled my NVIDIA card without having to uninstall it, and switched Platform ID to be "Non-Headless" and specified port connector types, etc. Under that config I was able to retain Airplay capability and it's still working today in the Catalina Beta2 I just installed.

2. My SMBIOS was iMac 18,3 under High Sierra configuration but I switched to iMac 18,1 for Mojave/Catalina, following recommendations here. Do I change my SMBIOS yet again, to use my Sapphire card?

3. The recommendation here online is to disable IGPU to use a 5700XT. My bios doesn't have a "disable" option per se but (see attached screenshot) it does have a "IGPU Multi-monitor" pop down (currently enabled). If I switch that to "Disabled", would that do it? I would also switch Primary Display to PEG.

4. Finally... what are my odds of retaining Airplay capability, assuming all goes well with installing the 5700XT?

Attachments

• IMG_7925.jpeg
    IMG_7925.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 110

My bad, no, I was using another iMac definition, I swapped to iMacPro1,1 and now I get acceleration:

1571593129809.png

Netflix plays for a couple of seconds, then gives me this error in Safari: "Error Code: S7363-1260-48444350"

Works perfectly well in Chrome.

Last edited:
My bad, no, I was using another iMac definition, I swapped to iMacPro1,1 and now I get acceleration:
View attachment 431705

Netflix plays for a couple of seconds, then gives me this error in Safari: "Error Code: S7363-1260-48444350"

Works perfectly well in Chrome.

I'm not having that problem with Netflix with Safari. I was able to watch an entire episode on Netflix without any issues.

Back