Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

I did all those option and got to this (see below).
Could it be because I installed Catalina only using Intel GPU and updated to beta 2 and only then plugged in the 5700?
IMG_2665.JPG

Also these are the kexts that are installed (I suppose)?

IMG_4382.JPG

Last edited:
It seems quite a broad range of 5700 XTs are working -- are there any reports of the 5700 working as well?

According to the above, this is rather strange.
It turns out that the GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC is about 15-20% more powerful than the SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, although in reality this should not be. They should differ only in cooling efficiency and all.
Too low according to those previous posts about Geekbench5 score.
You should check whether your GPU is running at PCIe x16 mode or not, in system info.

According to, this is rather strange.
It turns out that the GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC is about 15-20% more powerful than the SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon RX 5700XT, although in reality this should not be. They should differ only in cooling efficiency and all.

Those numbers alone don't mean too much, specially where the benchmark result also depends on the CPU.
For example in my system the i9 9900k is @5.0 Ghz. That might have caused the 15-20% difference.

You're right, sorry. I've always associated pointer trails with the lack of acceleration. But they are not the same thing. A little knowledge getting me into trouble for lack of more! :)

I edited my original post to remove the erroneous claim.

Running the public beta, it shows: Radeon RX 5700 XT, 8 GB, 3840x2160. Still only finding one monitor, but that's fine. My next task is to attack the non-working WiFi.

I know the feeling, I'd rebooted so many times with so many different configs and kexts I'd completely lost track of what I'd tried and what I hadn't - it can get a bit crazy.

Have you tried booting with the Lilu + WhateverGreen kexts installed and passing the agdpmod=pikera argument at boot?

This *might* help WhateverGreen enable your other monitors. For my particular card it has 1 HDMI and 3 DisplayPorts, it seems the HDMI port works but only one of the DisplayPorts so far. You can get DisplayPort -> DVI adapters cheaply on Amazon, it may just be a case of playing with combinations!

I did all that, know when i choose to boot from Catalina the Apple logo appears (black screen before), and, when the bar reaches 60%, the black screen appears again...

Oh! I cannot boot using Intel GPU anymore because of weg. I can only boot using the flash drive.

This is what I had earlier - you will probably find you can VNC into the machine and it's booted correctly, but hasn't enabled the screen.

For me, I did a few things to resolve this:
- I checked through my system to remove any old kexts that shouldn't have been there (they're only injected by Clover now);
- I updated my Clover to the latest;
- I validated I wasn't injecting edids or anything else;
- I'd got a DSDT.aml in my config which I don't seem to need anymore, removed this;
- Booted with Lilu + WhateverGreen and configured "agdpmod=pikera" as boot options;
- Disabled iGFX in the BIOS
- Set BIOS to have PCIe port as "boot priority"; and
- I did not need to disable CSM in the BIOS.

As Macak said, I'm using the "far right" display port when viewing the card from the rear. Both it and the (single) HDMI port work fine. The remaining two DisplayPorts (far left, when viewed from rear) do not appear to function yet.

Good luck! :)

Has anyone managed to perform any HEVC encoding? I've got TB's of 4k and 8k footage I need to archive, and supposedly these 5700's are monsters for this(EpoxVox 5700XT Encoding). Last I checked, ffmpeg macOS builds weren't especially optimized. On legit Mac hardware it's handled by the T2 chip, and it's very fast, but the quality and compression ratio is poor.

I have no idea how to validate if HEVC encoding is working, how would I test this?

This is what I had earlier - you will probably find you can VNC into the machine and it's booted correctly, but hasn't enabled the screen.

For me, I did a few things to resolve this:
- I checked through my system to remove any old kexts that shouldn't have been there (they're only injected by Clover now);
- I updated my Clover to the latest;
- I validated I wasn't injecting edids or anything else;
- I'd got a DSDT.aml in my config which I don't seem to need anymore, removed this;
- Booted with Lilu + WhateverGreen and configured "agdpmod=pikera" as boot options;
- Disabled iGFX in the BIOS
- Set BIOS to have PCIe port as "boot priority"; and
- I did not need to disable CSM in the BIOS.

As Macak said, I'm using the "far right" display port when viewing the card from the rear. Both it and the (single) HDMI port work fine. The remaining two DisplayPorts (far left, when viewed from rear) do not appear to function yet.

Good luck! :)
Thank you for your help. I will try formatting again but with the GPU inside now..
Wish me luck!

I have no idea how to validate if HEVC encoding is working, how would I test this?

I am not sure if ffmpeg support HEVC hardware encoding on macOS. VideoProc seems to be the hackintoshers goto solution for testing Video en/decoding support. You can download the trial version on their side.

Edit: Did anyone test whether Netflix in Safari works (with disabled iGPU)?

Last edited:
Back