Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

I've changed the GPU (an old GT 640) with the Shappire Pulse 5500XT 8GB in my build with Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 and i5 4570. I have a working Catalina 10.15.4 (19E266) installation (generated with latest UniBeast 10.1.0 and MultiBeast 12.1.0. Clover is 5107).

Unfortunately, with the new GPU, I'm getting a blank screen at the end of the boot process (I've tested all DP and HDMI ports). I've tried with the various agdpmod=pikera, but without success. The system is up, but I cannot see any graphics (I'm able to shutdown the system with the usual keys sequence).

I decided to try a new installation of Catalina 10.15.4 to an external USB drive and it was completed correctly with the RX 5500 identified and running fine. I've then run MultiBeast 12.1.0 with the same configuration that was working fine in the previous installation (Clover UEFI Boot Mode, Virtual SMC v1.1.1, RTL8111 v2.2.2, AppleALC v1.4.7) adding only Core Graphics Fixup (WhateverGreen v1.3.7 + Lilu v1.4,2) and changing the iMac from 14,1 to 17,1. The boot options are: dart=0 agdpmod=pikera. But in this way it is not booting, stopping at the point showed in the photo.

However, if I boot using the installation USB key I'm able to reach the Finder (of course without any audio). I've tried with different combinations of settings (without AppleALC, only with Virtual SMC, etc.) , but without success. After two days of trails, I'm now without ideas on what to try/check and I'm asking for some help/hints/suggestions/advice from the experts on the forum.

The BIOS settings are: VT-D is disabled; XHCI Mode in Smart Auto; XHCI hand off is enabled; EHCI hand off is enabled; On board video card is disabled. Memory settings: profile 1 (not set, optional). Additional settings: Limit CPUID maximum: disabled; Intel Virtualization Technology: enabled. SATA mode: AHCI.

Many thanks.

Hi mate, try the bootarg “igfxonln=1“

Try with clover 1507 and remember to add boot args agdpmod=pikera and maybe PEGP to GFX0 patch?

I've recovered my previous installation using the CLOVER folder posted here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...oot-and-gv-awake-failure.294713/#post-2096409

Regarding the attempt to try a new installation on an external USB drive, the booting issue after applying the MultiBeast 12.1.0 could be related to the USB adapter. All is, instead, working perfectly using the same disk with the same MultiBeast settings, but with the internal SATA controller! I've used the external USB adapter to speed up the tests and not opening the PC, but it was not a great idea at the end.

Many thanks to all for the suggestions/support.

Try with clover 1507 and remember to add boot args agdpmod=pikera and maybe PEGP to GFX0 patch?

okay i unterstand. i'll give a try
I've already theboot args agdpmod=pikera ;)
thanks

Found other way to inject the discrete gpu.

In clover config file under devices -> properties, no need for WEG or Clover inject ATI.

The big performance difference was when I inject the EFI GPU driver, without it the Geekbench score was low on pair with WEG around 90000...

Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 13.35.00.png
Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 13.42.07.png

In clover config file under devices -> properties, no need for WEG or Clover inject ATI.

The big performance difference was when I inject the EFI GPU driver, without it the Geekbench score was low on pair with WEG around 90000...

View attachment 461594View attachment 461596

Where did you find these values? (i.e. ATY,EFIVersion, ATY,EFIDisplay, etc.)

Would this method also work with other AMD cards? (i.e. RX 580, Vega 64, etc.)

Thanks.

Where did you find these values? (i.e. ATY,EFIVersion, ATY,EFIDisplay, etc.)

Would this method also work with other AMD cards? (i.e. RX 580, Vega 64, etc.)

Thanks.

From real mac Ioregistry. I used them with my ex RX 580.

Edit. If you want to use replace Boa framebuffer with Orinoco for RX 580,

View attachment 461594View attachment 461596
I will try the same with "Adder" or "Ikaheka" instead of "Boa"

I will try the same with "Adder" or "Ikaheka" instead of "Boa"

Block WEG from loading.

Edit. Dont forget to try other video ports if you can. Also agdpmod=pikera

Last edited:
Block WEG from loading.

Edit. Dont forget to try other video ports if you can. Also agdpmod=pikera
Both boots without WEG but System freeze after 10s
here my Config.plist may be you'll see any errors
thanks
P.S I'm really enjoying the guinea pig's life :lol: