Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Navi GPU

The new AMD Pro W6000X series GPU's look like workstation variants of the RX6800, RX6800 XT and RX6900 XT cards that are currently supported in Big Sur.

I see no likelihood that the RX6700 or other RX6000-series cards will be supported based on that release.

I see no likelihood that the RX6700 or other RX6000-series cards will be supported based on that release.
It would make no sense for Apple to do that. They don't sell them for use with the 7,1 Mac Pro. They would only be supporting those that install macOS on non-Apple Branded hardware. Have no idea what kind of people would do that anyway.

Screen Shot 15.jpg

Last edited:
It would make no sense for Apple to do that. They don't sell them for use with the 7,1 Mac Pro. They would only be supporting those that install macOS on non-Apple Branded hardware. Have no idea what kind of people would do that anyway.
Device IDs for Navi 22 (RX 6700 and 6800M) and Navi 23 (RX 6600 and 6600M) are already present in AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer.kext, and have been there for the past several months.

Device IDs for Navi 21 (RX 6800 and 6900) were also added at the same time (several months ago) and only now has Apple released a first-party edition of those cards.

However, device IDs for Navi 22 and Navi 23 must also make their way into AMDRadeonX6000.kext and AMDRadeonX6000HWServices.kext before those GPUs are actually supported. This has not happened yet. The question is whether this will happen soon (~ 3 months), happen later (after 3 months), or not happen at all.

We didn't think that 6800 and 6900 GPUs would actually be supported months before the release of any Apple-branded 6800 or 6900, but it actually happened.

None of us knows the prospects for 6700 and 6600 GPUs, and hence we make no firm claims. We only wonder.

P.S. Real Mac owners use eGPUs and run 6800s and 6900s on those eGPUs.

Real Mac owners use eGPUs and run 6800/6900 on those eGPUs.
But at what kind of a performance hit ? Apple seems to be moving away from supporting eGPU for Macs. The transition to M series Macs is well under way and they'll eventually only use an Apple designed GPU in Macs. Every new iMac, MacBook Pro and Mac mini from here on out will have M1 SoCs which means they won't use lower end AMD graphics like the 6600M.

It would be great to see support for the 6600/6700. Not sure why Apple would do that. If they're selling the 6800/6900 that is what they profit from, not people that would buy a 6600/6700 for eGPU use. We know Apple is pretty focused on profits based on their current valuation. They keep lightning connectors on iPhones instead of using USB-C so they can continuously collect money from those that make the cables. They don't like to give up on any potential profits they can keep taking.

Last edited:
Device IDs for Navi 22 (RX 6700 and 6800M) and Navi 23 (RX 6600 and 6600M) are already present in AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer.kext, and have been there for the past several months.

Device IDs for Navi 21 (RX 6800 and 6900) were also added at the same time (several months ago) and only now has Apple released a first-party edition of those cards.

However, device IDs for Navi 22 and Navi 23 must also make their way into AMDRadeonX6000.kext and AMDRadeonX6000HWServices.kext before those GPUs are actually supported. This has not happened yet. The question is whether this will happen soon (~ 3 months), happen later (after 3 months), or not happen at all.

We didn't think that 6800 and 6900 GPUs would actually be supported months before the release of any Apple-branded 6800 or 6900, but it actually happened.

None of us knows the prospects for 6700 and 6600 GPUs, and hence we make no firm claims. We only wonder.

If there are already Navi 23 entries in AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer.kext, why can't they be activated?
What else is missing?
Would any additional entries in whatevergreen.kext help?

If there are already Navi 23 entries in AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer.kext, why can't they be activated?
What else is missing?
Would any additional entries in whatevergreen.kext help?
Please see paragraph 3! ;)

Any updates on the 6600/6800 XT so far. This card is really good and affordable at this moment. It would be great for a hackintosh.

Any updates on the 6600/6800 XT so far. This card is really good and affordable at this moment. It would be great for a hackintosh.
I think you meant 6600/6700 XT. Alas we're still waiting for driver support. Let's see what happens after the first or second Apple Event of the fall season!

Hi,

Thanks for the pointer of where to look. I just checked in Big Sur 11.5.2 and Monterey Beta 6:
I can only see "Navi21" being referenced in this .kext

However, device IDs for Navi 22 and Navi 23 must also make their way into AMDRadeonX6000.kext and AMDRadeonX6000HWServices.kext
I also checked these ... and the same ... only "Navi21"

before those GPUs are actually supported. This has not happened yet. The question is whether this will happen soon (~ 3 months), happen later (after 3 months), or not happen at all.
Mmm, guess we have to wait and see :)

PS. I bought a Sapphire RX 6600 XT Nitro+ card .... before the miners and scalpers bought all of them up. So I'll keep an active eye on these .kext's

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the pointer of where to look. I just checked in Big Sur 11.5.2 and Monterey Beta 6:

I can only see "Navi21" being referenced in this .kext

I also checked these ... and the same ... only "Navi21"

Mmm, guess we have to wait and see :)

PS. I bought a Sapphire RX 6600 XT Nitro+ card .... before the miners and scalpers bought all of them up. So I'll keep an active eye on these .kext's
AFAIK, I don't think miners or scalpers will buy those. I believe they have LHR, correct me if I'm wrong

Back