i7 4770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Community,

I've just revamped my Hackintosh with a new AMD R9 390X (Gigabyte G1 GV-R939XG1). I have two monitors connected at 4k@60Hz.

As per research iGPU is enabled by default and the frame buffer is set to use "RADEON". No other device IDs are set and is registered as "AMD Radeon HD 8xxx 8192 MB" on boot.

After running the machine for 1.5 hours, it becomes slow and then grinds to a halt. It turns out that the ATI GPU runs really hot because it's continually under load. As per other threads, the GPU by default relies on the Windows drivers under fuzzy logic fan control. I've gone ahead and flashed the BIOS under Windows increasing the fan speeds to keep cool under continuous load. Running for 6-8 hours the GPU starts ghosting windows on the secondary screen. Temperate/utilisation doesn't change between one or two DisplayPort 1.2 outputs.

nX7P8Lm.png

The processor shouldn't be sitting at this high utilisation otherwise the life of the GPU will be really really short. What am I missing?

Cheers,
Elijah

I suspect that the processor utilization reading/bar in OSX is not accurate. If you look at the temperature readings for Hawaii in OS X, they don't work-- you see 0C forever.

I have an R9 290 with a customer overclocked/undervolted VBios that Clover loads on boot. In any case, once the GPU utilization bar hits full after boot, it never drops back down even when idling, and temp readings never change from 0. But I doubt that's what's really going on. After all, the GPU fan is clearly ramping up and down with loads (gaming, lightroom develop module, FCPX, etc). I can hear it hit fever pitch during GPU benchmarks, and return to near or total silence back at idle (or multiple windows open). Currently I'm only on El Cap w/ a single 27" LED ACD via DisplayPort, but even when I had the GPU hooked up to that display + 4K TV over HDMI (sadly @ 30hz, since the GPU only has HDMI 1.4) it behaved similarly.

The built-in GPU VBios should control fans and heat without any OS influence in your Hackintosh.

One issue that these GPUs do sometimes have is flakey memory and memory states, which can cause flickering and black screens, even in Windows (although worse in OS X). You can edit these as well in the VBios.

Sorry, that's not a lot of help, but at least one more datapoint. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back