Graphics
Nvidia GTX 770 Classified w/ 4gb GDDR5
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I want to build a hackintosh for video editing, mostly in FCPX. My budget is about $2200, and here's some of the other stuff I'm already using:
i7 4930k
Gigabyte ga-x79-up4
32gb corsair vengeance ram @ 1600 mhz

I really only need to know if I should go with the GTX 770 4gb or the R9 280x, and if it is the 280x, which model/brand should I get?

I have two of these working out of the box, which are exactly the same as the D700 in the Mac Pro 6,1 (i.e. Trash Can) except run @ 1050 MHz rather than 850 MHz.

Damn and they're $50 less then I paid for them :cry:

Pros:

Great opencl performance (FP64 as good as a Titan).
Gaming performance almost as good as R9 290.
Great compatibility.

Cons:
NO FULL COVER WATER BLOCKS (this is not a reference PCB design) :cry:
Occasion display flicker (a little annoying but rare)

I have two of these working out of the box, which are exactly the same as the D700 in the Mac Pro 6,1 (i.e. Trash Can) except run @ 1050 MHz rather than 850 MHz.

Damn and they're $50 less then I paid for them :cry:

Pros:

Great opencl performance (FP64 as good as a Titan).
Gaming performance almost as good as R9 290.
Great compatibility.

Cons:
NO FULL COVER WATER BLOCKS (this is not a reference PCB design) :cry:
Occasion display flicker (a little annoying but rare)

Did you had to do anything special to make it work ? I mean use clover, put chimera on the EFI or some boot flags ?

Or just install and boot right away ?
Thanks.

Get the R9-280x over the 770 for FCP X. The 770's are great boards for everything but FCP X. There are lots and lots of real world tests showing the older (and theoretically slower) AMD boards are better optimised for FCP X than the nVidia boards. I have 2 x 5770s which are old and cheap and they smoke the 770's for FCP X. For anything else the 770 is a better board.

One of the posters is spot on with his/her comparison to the D700s. If I could afford 2 x 280x's and the additional PSU (I only have a 650W) I'd put dual 280x's in my system in a shot. Mac Pro (Trash Can) performance for trash can prices :)

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back