i7 8700k
Graphics
Sapphire Pulse Rx 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi
I have an hp Elite Desk 800 G1 Sff with an upgraded corsair cx550 psu and i7 4790.
Im running sierra and everything works great, also i dual boot windows 10 for gaming with Igpu and some widows only engineering software.
i want to upgrade to high sierra ,add a dedicated gpu and run 2 monitors an ultrawide (1080) and normal(1080).
My question is which gpu should i get?
and Which Brand And model is know to be compatible? Ive mentioned the specific brand and model available to me as used also.
  1. Rx 560
    • In my budget,Used; Sapphire Pulse 4gb
  2. Rx 570
    • Slightly Over Budget,Used; MSI Gaming X 4gb
  3. RX 580
    • Over my budget, but my can extend if its worth the extra money,Used;MSI ARMOR 4gb or 8gb,Sapphire Nitro+ 4gb
  4. 1050ti
    • In my budget,New
    • would like to get this as it has a low profile version which fits my pc case (am planing to change cases for other cards )
  5. 1060
    • Over my budget, but my can extend if its worth the extra money,Used
i use the system mainly for xcode (ios app development maybe get into game development) + general everyday use + light photoshop + mathlab (and possibly some 3d designing softwares in future) and would like start learning some video editing too on fcp (nothing major).

I read that amd is supported OOB so am leaning towards the rx560, also its the sapphire pulse model and is the rx 580 Armor or nitro+ compatible, or the rx570 Gaming X
the nvidia cards better for gaming on widows for the price im getting the at, How good are the Nvidia web drivers in High Sierra.
is everyday usablility better with nvidia or Amd on Sierra? like no laggy UI or something similar (dont face any such issue with IGPU So would like to keep it that way)
would like to have sleep working too ,but the system is usually ON or Off rarely in sleep as it boots pretty fast.
THANKS ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED

Hi
I have an hp Elite Desk 800 G1 Sff with an upgraded corsair cx550 psu and i7 4790.
I'm running sierra and everything works great, also i dual boot windows 10 for gaming with Igpu and some windows only engineering software.
i want to upgrade to high sierra, add a dedicated gpu and run 2 monitors an ultrawide (1080) and normal(1080).
My question is which gpu should i get? and Which Brand And model is know to be compatible? Ive mentioned the specific brand and model available to me as used also.
  1. Rx 560
    • In my budget,Used; Sapphire Pulse 4gb
  2. Rx 570
    • Slightly Over Budget,Used; MSI Gaming X 4gb
  3. RX 580
    • Over my budget, but my can extend if its worth the extra money,Used;MSI ARMOR 4gb or 8gb,Sapphire Nitro+ 4gb
  4. 1050ti
    • In my budget,New
    • would like to get this as it has a low profile version which fits my pc case (am planning to change cases for other cards )
  5. 1060
    • Over my budget, but my can extend if its worth the extra money,Used
I use the system mainly for xcode (ios app development maybe get into game development) + general everyday use + light photoshop + mathlab (and possibly some 3d designing softwares in future) and would like start learning some video editing too on fcp (nothing major).

I read that amd is supported OOB so am leaning towards the rx560, also its the sapphire pulse model and is the rx 580 Armor or nitro+ compatible, or the rx570 Gaming X.
The nvidia cards better for gaming on windows for the price im getting the at. How good are the Nvidia web drivers in High Sierra.
Is everyday usablility better with nvidia or Amd on Sierra? like no laggy UI or something similar (Don't face any such issue with IGPU So would like to keep it that way)
would like to have sleep working too ,but the system is usually ON or Off rarely in sleep as it boots pretty fast.
THANKS ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED

Why do you want to upgrade to High Sierra if Sierra is working fine for you? Is it because you want to upgrade at the same time of getting a dedicated GPU?

I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 560 4GB on my second system (X99) and the card works fine in both Sierra and High Sierra. The card is natively supported in High Sierra, while in Sierra it will work with the Lilu / WhateverGreen kexts.

I would say that I consider native support to be more important than graphics card performance in MacOS, and so I would lean towards a AMD RX 560 / 570 / 580 if you are going to use MacOS High Sierra.

Why do you want to upgrade to High Sierra if Sierra is working fine for you? Is it because you want to upgrade at the same time of getting a dedicated GPU?

I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 560 4GB on my second system (X99) and the card works fine in both Sierra and High Sierra. The card is natively supported in High Sierra, while in Sierra it will work with the Lilu / WhateverGreen kexts.

I would say that I consider native support to be more important than graphics card performance in MacOS, and so I would lean towards a AMD RX 560 / 570 / 580 if you are going to use MacOS High Sierra.

Thanks for replying. it helped a lot
Im upgrading to high sierra solely for the newer version of xcode.
i also think Amd route is better. but new cards are very expensive here.
the only used sapphire pulse i can find is rx 560.
any idea whether rx 570 or rx 580, the specific versions i mentioned above would work? i cant find used sapphire pulse for these.
i did search here and google, couldnt find a solid answer.
or would it be better to to save up some more and just buy a new sapphire pulse 580.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back