4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Interesting times are ahead! According to GamerMeld, AMD is expected to be bring out Navi 30 series soon and with a caveat - it may feature up to 2 GPU cores.

Apple took 3 months to support RX 5000 series and 6 months to support RX 6000 series. How long will Apple take to support RX 7000 series? Or there will not be.

RX 7000 series is also rumoured to be launched in this October or November.

This announcement leads me to wonder if the slow end of hackintosh may be a dearth of supported GPUs.

@Bustycat says "look at the slowing trend" with the key point "or there will not be"

@CaseySJ appears to be almost single-handedly keeping the dream alive here for 2022 boards. I imagine a lot of key sharing between OC heavies happens on OC Discord then filters down to web forums) I enjoy his wrteups with photo spread of pretty new kit.

Well, progress depends on access to the latest gear. Generations of kit flock, so to speak, so if you hope to support a board, but you're cut off from generational graphics... That's the end of that.

From such thoughts, my prognostications always turn to wonder at the AI components: this machine-learning stuff is turning out to be a big deal for new features. AFAIK, there's no macOS support for Intel ML instructions, Apple has rolled its own, and GPU market has fragmented. Nvida is well known to make complexes supporting autonomous vehicles, which is a path in its own right that stands on starkly outlined industrial turf that might be running in opposite direction from Apple. Fashionable gaming is no longer the driver (haha) there are much bigger fish to boil (I'm gonna bash metaphors over the head). Apple AR/VR could be such a big deal that it blows the whole idea of a PC as we've known it out of the water, or maybe Zuckerburg's virtual pajama parties are actually truer to the miasma of computing these days — a zillion things going on in a zillion directions, with the idea of a PC still being sort of an anchor for the layman technogentsi.

Words, words, words

Apple took 3 months to support RX 5000 series and 6 months to support RX 6000 series. How long will Apple take to support RX 7000 series? Or there will not be.

RX 7000 series is also rumoured to be launched in this October or November.
Do you seriously expect Apple to support new graphics cards such as these RX 7000 series cards any more? I certainly don't.

If no Macs use such cards either directly or in an eGPU box in the future why should Apple support it?

I say that if you are going to continue to run MacOS then forget about new graphics cards and make do with existing cards for as long as they are still functional.

Do you seriously expect Apple to support new graphics cards such as these RX 7000 series cards any more? I certainly don't.

If no Macs use such cards either directly or in an eGPU box in the future why should Apple support it?

I say that if you are going to continue to run MacOS then forget about new graphics cards and make do with existing cards for as long as they are still functional.
That is why I said or there will not be. macOS also supported RX 6000 series so late.

The Mac Pro 7,1 would be able to use these RX 7000 series cards, and use them running macOS Ventura.

But the real question is will Apple choose to add support for them to 13.1 or 13.1.1, as they did with the RX6600 card in Monterey, no one knows!

The Mac Pro 7,1 would be able to use these RX 7000 series cards, and use them running macOS Ventura.

But the real question is will Apple choose to add support for them to 13.1 or 13.1.1, as they did with the RX6600 card in Monterey, no one knows!
RX 6600 and RX 6600 XT are supported because Apple sells Radeon Pro W6600X MPX Module. The support for RX 7000 series will be determined if any W7*00X module is launched.

RX 6600 and RX 6600 XT are supported because Apple sells Radeon Pro W6600X MPX Module. The support for RX 7000 series will be determined if any W7*00X module is launched.
The ability to create the Module, meaning supply chain issues due to crypto, covid, high demand, etc. is likely the reason for the such a long delay in getting drivers for the 6000 cards. Maybe I am wrong but I would imagine apple wants to squeeze one more cycle out of those 2019 Mac Pros so the Pros do not flip a wig... This also gives them a little more time to get the M variant Mac Pro SOC ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back