1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
  5. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone,
I'm about to buy a new GPU for my hackintosh. I currently have a R9 280, which is working out of the box.
I'd like an RX590, but I don't know which one is compatible with Mojave. Do you have any advices?
Thank you!

Last edited:
any vendor rx590 will do but for the same price you can get a 5500XT which has much lower power consumption and PSU requirements

any vendor rx590 will do but for the same price you can get a 5500XT which has much lower power consumption and PSU requirements

The OP apparently needs Mojave, which won't work with a 5500 XT.

Hello everyone,
I'm about to buy a new GPU for my hackintosh. I currently have a R9 280, which is working out of the box.
I'd like an RX590, but I don't know which one is compatible with Mojave. Do you have any advices?
Thank you!

As far as I know, any brand of RX 590 (except XFX) should work.

The OP apparently needs Mojave, which won't work with a 5500 XT.
Yeah, exactly. I don't want Catalina.
As far as I know, any brand of RX 590 (except XFX) should work.
Thanks! I'll go with the 590 then.

Hi,

I'm pretty much in the same case and currently looking for a gc for my future hack. There is a significant difference between RX 580 and RX 5600 XT. But i would like to use Mojave, not Catalina.
So what about RX 590 ? How is its performance vs 580 and 5600 XT ? Is it in between those 2 ? is 590 worth it ?

thanks

as said 5600XT is much more powerful but is limited to Catalina and newer. I honestly cannot see a reason to build a new hackintosh and not to use Catalina.
regarding the RX580 vs RX590 it is all about price. RX590 is of course better for gaming but if you need a specific comparision within an application just google for those comparisons. Regarding the installation and configuration in Mojave, they are the same.

I honestly cannot see a reason to build a new hackintosh and not to use Catalina.

I can think of one reason : 32 bit Mac applications. Catalina can't run them.

If a user requires access to older applications that can't run on or have problems with newer MacOS versions, then he/she most likely will need to run older MacOS versions.

as said 5600XT is much more powerful but is limited to Catalina and newer. I honestly cannot see a reason to build a new hackintosh and not to use Catalina.
regarding the RX580 vs RX590 it is all about price. RX590 is of course better for gaming but if you need a specific comparision within an application just google for those comparisons. Regarding the installation and configuration in Mojave, they are the same.
Because Catalina is a shitty OS, slow, full of bugs, annoying and missing some essential features for me.

Because Catalina is a shitty OS, slow, full of bugs, annoying and missing some essential features for me.
Well I respect your opinion but I don’t know how it is shitty, slow, full of bugs, annoying and missing some essential features on my two Hackintosh builds and one 2012 non-Retina MacBook Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back