CPU
I7 2600K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Out of curiosity, with the release of the new Mac Pro, does the FirePro D700 work on a Hackintosh? How about two of them as in the new Mac Pro?

Monoton,

You don't happen to have that D700 rom do you? If so, think you can send it my way? I have a 7970 that I'd love to experiment with in the same way you experimented with yours.

In regards to that post, in update 3 where you mention that you put back the original 7970 ghz bios in the cards and just added the SSID w/ Junsai personality, was that while "UseATIrom" was disabled, meaning there was absolutely no use of the D700 rom in the cards or clover?

OS X doesn't treat the D700 any different than a normal HD 7970. The EFI in the Mac Pro injects "FirePro D700" instead of "Radeon HD 7950" and one of the 6xmDP personalities instead of "Hamachi", that's basically it.

Using the full D700 ROM on a stock HD 7970 will render most (all?) ports useless. Aditionally, it'll downclock your GPU.

I guess my next question is if it's recognized as a D700, does it initiate drivers that handle the pro apps (Premiere, Resolve, etc.) more effectively? Or do they perform exactly the same? Guess the thing that makes me think otherwise is that the Firepro W9000 and 7970 are also similar in architecture, but the magic seems to be in the drivers provided for the W9000 in a Windows environment (though I know there are some minor differences such as ECC memory, etc.).

So since using the full D700 rom seems to cripple a HD 7970, I guess I'd like to know is it possible to just spoof a D700 via Clover Configurator so that OSX recognizes the 7970 as such? And if so, what is it that I'd need to enter inside Clover Configurator?

I guess I'd just like to test and see if the performance is the exact same within the pro apps depending on whether it is recognized as a D700 or 7970. Thanks!

I'm 99,999% sure that OS X doesn't offer any "workstation level drivers" at all. The pro apps you've mentioned wouldn't profit anyway, the optimizations are meant for professional OpenGL CAD applications (most of which don't exist in OS X anyway...).

I have no reason to believe that the D700 GPUs in the nMP are any different than a HD 7970 with slightly lowered core clock. It doesn't have ECC, they didn't even bother to change the device ID and I've never observed any notable performance differeces between a genuine nMP and comparable Hackintosh with normal Radeon GPUs in any application.

They're just injecting the new device name ("FirePro D700") from the EFI, basically the same you could do from Clover.

Gotcha. I'm running into a problem with Premiere CC 2017 and my 7970. The whole computer freezes when it tries to load. I remove GPUsniffer and all is good, though the program still won't start because it can't detect a usable GPU since it lacks the detection tool. The D700's are obviously very compatible with Premiere as I have used a Mac Pro with Premiere CC 2017 and Adobe has it listed as one of it's compatible cards for Mac. So the 7970 not working doesn't make much sense seeing as they are virtually the same card. This makes the think that since Premiere is not reading the card as a D700 and therefore refuses to initiate the program. This makes me think that the only way to get Premiere to load using the 7970 is by injecting the FirePro D700 device name from Clover.

Do you know how I would inject the new device name of "Firepro D700" using Clover Configurator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back