Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-ULTRA GAMING
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Since I got that AMD Radeon Vega 64 card, I noticed that this card runs on really low power when idle in Windows, power consumption given by Adrenaline is 9 W, fans are NOT running. Perfect silence. AMD calls that "Chill".

In macOS however the fans are not silenced and the card consumes 40 W while just running macOS desktop. After all a high performance graphic card is a real overkill for macOS purposes (I just need it for Windows games). Isn't it ironic that macOS creates more power consumption of the card than Windows?

I always thought that Apple is a "green" company - however AMD does not offer any software for macOS to "chill" the graphics card (it does for Linux), it's all up to the AMD drivers by Apple. Is it possible at all to get that low power consumption of the graphic card in macOS? I am curious.

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
CPU
i3-8350K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Classic Mac
eMac, iBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Since I got that AMD Radeon Vega 64 card, I noticed that this card runs on really low power when idle in Windows, power consumption given by Adrenaline is 9 W, fans are NOT running. Perfect silence. AMD calls that "Chill".

In macOS however the fans are not silenced and the card consumes 40 W while just running macOS desktop. After all a high performance graphic card is a real overkill for macOS purposes (I just need it for Windows games). Isn't it ironic that macOS creates more power consumption of the card than Windows?

I always thought that Apple is a "green" company - however AMD does not offer any software for macOS to "chill" the graphics card (it does for Linux), it's all up to the AMD drivers by Apple. Is it possible at all to get that low power consumption of the graphic card in macOS? I am curious.
Interesting research. Thanks for posting :thumbup:

My guess would be that the latest iMac Pro System Definitions might have some optimisation, as Apple offer the Pro with Vega Pro 56 or 64 GPUs. However, maybe they are slightly different to the regular desktop PC varieties.

You would expect the latest Mojave to have the necessary Apple AMD drivers included and prefer to turn-down the power to 9W if they could.

:)

Motherboard
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Unfortunately the latest iMac System definitions are off limits to me running a Skylake CPU. I have to use the iMac 17,1 definition.

I learned today that AMD has delivered this low power consumption function to Linux as well with the latest kernel 5.1. According to the description it is a special mode the GPU can be put into. Maybe something to look at for the whatevergreen guys.

Motherboard
MSI Z170A Krait
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Which version of macOS are you running on?

From my experience, when I first installed my Vega 64 on 10.13.6 it idled at X hundred Mhz

However, after I upgraded to 10.14(now 10.14.4) the lowest clock speed can go down to 33Mhz(maybe lower!)

Yes, that's right, 33Mhz at idle.

My system definition is iMac Pro but since nowaday you can just use CPUFriend, an extension of Lilu, to apply any system definition for your CPU and leave your main definition for GPU or any other more important hardware.

Proof:
螢幕快照 2019-05-07 下午8.24.39.png

Even though I disabled the power detection for OC by VGTab, since my core temp is about on par with ambient temp, the idle consumption should be pretty low.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
In macOS however the fans are not silenced and the card consumes 40 W while just running macOS desktop.

@tallinn,

When running in windows Vega's power and fans curves are controlled by the onboard VBIOS, when Vega is used in MacOS, the operating system controls the power and fan curves directly.

Apple only initially supported a very few specific Vega cards with their early Vega support for eGPU's which is why VGTab was created but even with VGTab many 3rd party/OEM cards run hot or can not have their fans properly controlled.

However the next Mojave update (10.14.5) should finally tame all Vega's, Apple have worked a lot of the power and fan curves and improved both the idle and under load clock switching resulting in better performance and less power use.

Beta testers of 10.14.5 have reported big improvements all round when using Vega in MacOS, including support for all 3rd party Vega's without the need to use VGTab.

The 10.14.5 update release should be with us very soon ...

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Which version of macOS are you running on?
I am running 10.14.4. I used VGTab to reduce idle fan speed to 700 rpm and that's what HWMonitorSMC2 shows me most of the time together with around 40 W power consumption. It does not give frequencies though. I found that this setting keeps GPU temperature at bay at 33° C. It is pretty silent already but why waste power if one does not need to.

Then let's see what 10.14.5 will have in stock for us regarding fan management and power consumption of the Vega.

Motherboard
MSI Z170A Krait
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I am running 10.14.4. I used VGTab to reduce idle fan speed to 700 rpm and that's what HWMonitorSMC2 shows me most of the time together with around 40 W power consumption. It does not give frequencies though. I found that this setting keeps GPU temperature at bay at 33° C. It is pretty silent already but why waste power if one does not need to.

Then let's see what 10.14.5 will have in stock for us regarding fan management and power consumption of the Vega.
As a hardware engineer, if your card is idle and the fan is running at 700 rpm.

With the core temp sitting at 33° C, I can bet that 40W is due to incomplete Apple driver for Vega unless your ambient temp is under 0° C

My 64 is a ref card and before I applied the Morpheus mod it idles at 40° C on both macOS and Windows

The sensor under Windows shows 9W just like yours, so I'm calling that 40W a fault.

Anyway, many have reported that 14.5 will have a much mature driver for Vega and it's right around the corner.

Cheers, mate!

Motherboard
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
Vega 64
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
As a hardware engineer, if your card is idle and the fan is running at 700 rpm.

With the core temp sitting at 33° C, I can bet that 40W is due to incomplete Apple driver for Vega unless your ambient temp is under 0° C

My 64 is a ref card and before I applied the Morpheus mod it idles at 40° C on both macOS and Windows

The sensor under Windows shows 9W just like yours, so I'm calling that 40W a fault.

Anyway, many have reported that 14.5 will have a much mature driver for Vega and it's right around the corner.

Cheers, mate!
Well actually there are three fans on my card running at 700 rpm each.

But anyway: now that 10.14.5 is out and landed on my system, I removed all VGATab mods from config.plist, updated HWMonitorSCM2 and related kexts, and find my vega card now running at 50° C with a power consumption of 43 W, fan speed is no longer given, but fan speed percentage is given by 36% which would be more than 700 rpm (which is about 25%). However the sound of the fans is at least as silent as it was with 10.14.4 and VGTab adjustments so it looks like these readouts are not that accurate. Just as I write this the fans greet me for no reason with a short phase of running considerably faster and louder. Could have been for me looking up the specs of my card on sapphire.com which gave me some fancy animated graphics of the card.

But the bottom line of all this to me is: still no chill as in Windows. And I verified by opening the computer case that fans are indeed not running in Windows when the card is idle.

Last edited: