Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
6900 XT (Spoofed)
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello Fellow Hackintoshers.

Is it possible to run AMD and NVIDIA in the same machine? Hear me out :)

I want to use AMD on the Hackintosh SSD, and NVIDIA on the Windows SSD.

The reason for this is I want my Hackintosh to be as fast as possible in Final Cut Pro X and easy to update (driver wise).

And on the Windows, I want to be able to run games at 4k@60fps + some VR. This I would need the Nvidia for.

I don't need both cards to be installed driverwise in Windows, only the NVIDIA one... for Mac, i'm not sure how it would react.

Any input or tips or experiences with this is greatly appreciated :)

Sincerely

Unkle

The reason for this is I want my Hackintosh to be as fast as possible in Final Cut Pro X and easy to update (driver wise).

And on the Windows, I want to be able to run games at 4k@60fps + some VR. This I would need the Nvidia for.

I don't need both cards to be installed driverwise in Windows, only the NVIDIA one... for Mac, i'm not sure how it would react.

Sincerely

Unkle

There was a user that did that back in the early Sierra days. This was when you needed a IGpU or helper card to allow the RX cards to get past the black screen issue. They mounted the Nvidia card in slot 0 and the RX in slot 1. The Nvidia card acted as an IGPU or helper card (display default drivers) and no web drivers were installed for it. When booting into windows the Nvidia was activated and the RX was a backup.

However, others have recently tried this in High Sierra and cannot seem to get it to work.

That was a Gigafast response!

Makes good sense to use the Slot 0 for Windows, and then on the Mac side, it probably don't care if it's slot 0 or 1 for the AMD card.

I already have a Vega 56, so supposedly I could get a cheap non-supported Nvidia card to test it out, and if it works.. I can go all in and empty my wallet for the 2080TI.

That was a Gigafast response!

Makes good sense to use the Slot 0 for Windows, and then on the Mac side, it probably don't care if it's slot 0 or 1 for the AMD card.

I already have a Vega 56, so supposedly I could get a cheap non-supported Nvidia card to test it out, and if it works.. I can go all in and empty my wallet for the 2080TI.

Cheers Unklemac,
did you manage to get the Nvidia + ATI setup working with windows and mac os?
Was interested on getting a setup like this since im having issues with my integrated HD 4600.

Cheers Unklemac,
did you manage to get the Nvidia + ATI setup working with windows and mac os?
Was interested on getting a setup like this since im having issues with my integrated HD 4600.

Hello @AlienHrGig

I didn’t go the route, as Radeon VII was announced shortly after. So I am running just that card, for the boost in windows and native os x support in 10.14.5 (works pretty good so far, with few glitches to internal audio).

Tbh I think as long as Hackintoshes uses only AMD (gpu), i’m not going to hastle with Nvidia.

Good luck too ya’ if you go this route

Sincerely

Unkle

See here, still working like a charm on 10.14.5 : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/dual-boot-dual-card-mojave-amd-mac-nvidia-pc.267579/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back