Contribute
Register

AMD and Nvidia graphic cards at same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't run FCPX so I can't attest to that but it does work for a non igpu solution for RX cards in X99 boards. If you have them try them.

It works in Luxmark (open CL) benchmarks, and Uningine (open GL) benchmarks without any major hiccups. Nvidia 8400gs and RX 460 and RX 480 were tested by me others have tested various cards with the same success. The RX needs to go in the number 2 slot or you will suffer black screen issue.

Running the 970 with Nvidia drivers may present issues but a 960 was just tested and it ran with an RX card.

Disclaimers: Most CPUs only have 16 pcie lanes so when you use slot one alone it's gets 16 lanes (max performance). When you use slot 1 and slot 2 slot 1 gets 12 lanes, and shares 4 with slot 2. So performance for both cards gets reduced slightly.

X99 systems (and or Xeon chipsets) may have more pcie lanes supported so it shouldn't effect performance as much if at all.

If it works, let us know how well, I'll bet you could get some good benchmarks with that combo.

So after some reasearch I'm going to order a RX480. Do you know which brand would be the best? I was looking at the MSI one. As for using them at the same time, I'm gonna try to tinker with it and see if I can get it working or not. It hopefully shouldn't be to hard

MSI, Sapphire, Powercooler, XFX are good to go. The Powercooler is massive with three fans, but overclocked well. I really like the new XFX Version. I think it's the GR model, Jay's 2cents did a review on YouTube and overclocked it to around 1500mhz, and couldn't get the temp to rise. One member here was concerned because the fans weren't spinning, but when I found out which card it was it explained it. It only accelerated the fans during benchmarks because it didn't get hot during normal use. Gigabyte, and Asus may be a little fussy to get working.

The MSI is a solid card, I tested a 470 and loved it. Very smooth and quiet.

do you think it would be better to get a 460 or 480?? I read that some people had issues with acceleration on the 480

do you think it would be better to get a 460 or 480?? I read that some people had issues with acceleration on the 480

The 460 will not need any kext modification, but is only about half the performance of the 480. I have both and prefer the 480. It takes me about 2-3 minutes to fix the kext to get acceleration with the 480, and at first all we saw was Baffin or Polaris 11 in the drivers, now there is Baffin, Polaris 10, and Vega 10. We also found 2 new AMD cards likely to be coming to apple hardware. The Polaris 10XT2, and Polaris 12 (google them) which were unheard of until a couple of weeks ago. Polaris 10 support will get better as time goes on and they already perform on an equal level with Windows IF you set the same parameters in Windows like igpu as primary, and open GL or CL formats. Direct11 and 12x don't count because OS X doesn't come close to that format.

Check out the "Enabling all cores on AMD Fury cards" thread, we got a 20% performance boost from this fix and now have scores competing with 980 cards in Geekbench. I went from a 105,000 score to a 137,891 for graphics compute which is 100 points below a 980ti score posted in geekbench results. If you want the easy card and are not concerned with max performance go with the 460, if you want good performance go 480 and it will take a little work but that's what hackintosh is all about. Me I'm waiting for the Vega10 cards to come out or the 490x because those will be the exciting next challenge to get working but the rewards could be awesome.

The Clover developers are working at getting the RX 470-480 cards to work in a OOB configuration and are making progress. There are about three fixes to get acceleration, I prefer the kext mod because it's quick and if done correctly works every time. Clover developersare are aware that Nvivida support in Apple software is waning and they haven't added any new Nvidia drivers in Sierra. It's up to Nvidia to make the 1070-1080 cards work which may not be possible because they are currently using the Haswell drivers for the 980 and titan cards, but the new pascal is different architecture and may not be compatible in OS since there's no pascal natively supported.

The 460 will not need any kext modification, but is only about half the performance of the 480. I have both and prefer the 480. It takes me about 2-3 minutes to fix the kext to get acceleration with the 480, and at first all we saw was Baffin or Polaris 11 in the drivers, now there is Baffin, Polaris 10, and Vega 10. We also found 2 new AMD cards likely to be coming to apple hardware. The Polaris 10XT2, and Polaris 12 (google them) which were unheard of until a couple of weeks ago. Polaris 10 support will get better as time goes on and they already perform on an equal level with Windows IF you set the same parameters in Windows like igpu as primary, and open GL or CL formats. Direct11 and 12x don't count because OS X doesn't come close to that format.

Check out the "Enabling all cores on AMD Fury cards" thread, we got a 20% performance boost from this fix and now have scores competing with 980 cards in Geekbench. I went from a 105,000 score to a 137,891 for graphics compute which is 100 points below a 980ti score posted in geekbench results. If you want the easy card and are not concerned with max performance go with the 460, if you want good performance go 480 and it will take a little work but that's what hackintosh is all about. Me I'm waiting for the Vega10 cards to come out or the 490x because those will be the exciting next challenge to get working but the rewards could be awesome.

The Clover developers are working at getting the RX 470-480 cards to work in a OOB configuration and are making progress. There are about three fixes to get acceleration, I prefer the kext mod because it's quick and if done correctly works every time. Clover developersare are aware that Nvivida support in Apple software is waning and they haven't added any new Nvidia drivers in Sierra. It's up to Nvidia to make the 1070-1080 cards work which may not be possible because they are currently using the Haswell drivers for the 980 and titan cards, but the new pascal is different architecture and may not be compatible in OS since there's no pascal natively supported.

sweet thanks for the reply. can i ask the exact brand of you rx480 and what model??

sweet thanks for the reply. can i ask the exact brand of you rx480 and what model??

I bought the first release, reference model XFX 8gb. It was on June 29th, I was able to pick up two. The XFX 480 GR model is the best IMO, it is the one Jays 2cents did a video on and it can handle extreme overclocking on air cooling without hiccups. You should check out the video on YouTube, it's a really sweet card. Someone on another thread got one going and I'm jeleaous I wish I had one. All XFX 480 models will work though so you may as well go for the best if available.

I bought the first release, reference model XFX 8gb. It was on June 29th, I was able to pick up two. The XFX 480 GR model is the best IMO, it is the one Jays 2cents did a video on and it can handle extreme overclocking on air cooling without hiccups. You should check out the video on YouTube, it's a really sweet card. Someone on another thread got one going and I'm jeleaous I wish I had one. All XFX 480 models will work though so you may as well go for the best if available.

my XFX rx480 8gb GTR arrived today and i got it setup and all working flawlessly. (I think) is there a way to tell if i getting the most out of my card??? thanks for your help, you encouraged me to buy this card and it has already turned out big!!

my XFX rx480 8gb GTR arrived today and i got it setup and all working flawlessly. (I think) is there a way to tell if i getting the most out of my card??? thanks for your help, you encouraged me to buy this card and it has already turned out big!!

Download Unigine Valley and Uningine Heaven, they're free just google them. You should be getting 1840-1940 in Valley, and 1100-1200 in Heaven roughly if you have good support. Luxmark Ball is a good one as well. Run some benchmarks and post them. To get a screen shot just hit shift+applekey+3. When you get through those look into the thread "Enabling all cores on Fury cards". It works on the RX cards as well, but you'll need to download iHex from App Store (free) or work on a clover injection method which I think is listed in another thread. Make sure to make a folder to store an extra copy of the controllerkext in case you have trouble with the modification.

Download Unigine Valley and Uningine Heaven, they're free just google them. You should be getting 1840-1940 in Valley, and 1100-1200 in Heaven roughly if you have good support. Luxmark Ball is a good one as well. Run some benchmarks and post them. To get a screen shot just hit shift+applekey+3. When you get through those look into the thread "Enabling all cores on Fury cards". It works on the RX cards as well, but you'll need to download iHex from App Store (free) or work on a clover injection method which I think is listed in another thread. Make sure to make a folder to store an extra copy of the controllerkext in case you have trouble with the modification.

i could only get my card to work if I set IGPU to auto but now whenever i boot into osx it shows i have 3 monitors when i really only have 2. in system report it says IGPU is online, how can i disable it after boot or did i configure it wrongly??

i could only get my card to work if I set IGPU to auto but now whenever i boot into osx it shows i have 3 monitors when i really only have 2. in system report it says IGPU is online, how can i disable it after boot or did i configure it wrongly??

The gear box on the bottom tool bar is "Systems Preferences" open it and select displays. There should be a window that has a tab "Gather Windows" then select arrangement. You drag the white bar on top of window until it reaches your screen, when it does the screen will turn Red around the edges. That screen will now get the majority of graphics support.

Are you using 2 screens connected to the RX card or one to monitor and one to RX?

If both are connected to RX card you will probably always get the igpu listed as well. The RX cards need an IGPU to get support. If you can boot into clover with only one monitor connected To igpu, then before you hit enter switch the one cable to RX card. If you switch cables after boot it will list the monitor as connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back