Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
CPU
i7-7700k
Graphics
RX580
Hi,

Tired of the Nvidia driver dance on every new update along with remembering to apply the various patches for hdmi audio etc. Looking to move to a AMD 580 board since they they are "natively" supported. But, will they work with a 14,2 iMac definition or do I need to update to a MacPro definition? Since I have handoff, imessage, etc. working, would hate to shake things up here.

Mark

Hey there, I'm going through the same process, with a slightly different build. You can see my attempt to get answers here. No answers for now....
However, I saw on a build made by Stork that Rx580 + Coffee Lake = 14,2. I'm currently using 18,2 and I'm wondering if I should switch to 14,2 or not.....

Good Luck out there and keep us posted!

Hi,

Tired of the Nvidia driver dance on every new update along with remembering to apply the various patches for hdmi audio etc. Looking to move to a AMD 580 board since they they are "natively" supported. But, will they work with a 14,2 iMac definition or do I need to update to a MacPro definition? Since I have handoff, imessage, etc. working, would hate to shake things up here.

Mark

Yes it will work with that definition 14.2 is a good general purpose setting. I’ve used Mac mini, MacBook, iMac and MacPro Defs with RX cards no issues.

@Gigamaxx are you familiar with RX xxx cards on hackintoshes ?

Yes, I’ve have RX 460 and RX 480 cards running since Sierra beta 2 years ago. High Sierra and Mojave run without any fixes needed Sierra requires clover graphics setting rad de init = true or yes.

They have native drivers however for certain video editing apps many use IGPU enabled with 64Mb to get H264 to work well.

18.2 will work too, if your all set up give that a try and see how it works.

Thanx for the answer ! So If I sum it up, (I'm on 10.13.5) I untick Nvidia_drv=1, then I power off, swap the cards and boot up. That's it ? No radeaondeinit ? no kexts ? nothing ? Seems too good to be true !

You may have to remove the Nvidia web driver Kexts. In HIgh Sierra 13.5 you may still need rad de init. 13.6 doesn’t need them. You can do it in the clover boot menu and set it permanently later. It’s nice having the AND cards updates just work. No fussing or cussing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="They have native drivers however for certain video editing apps many use IGPU enabled with 64Mb to get H264 to work well.[/QUOTE]

Gigamaxx,

Thanks for the insight.

You mentioned that the IGPU may need to be enabled for certain video apps? Assuming the IGPU is enabled in the BIOS, does High Sierra deal with enabling it or is there some extra kext that needs to be installed?

Also, I assume that I don't need any of my (3) lcd panels plugged into the IGPU in that instance?

Thanks!

Thanx for your advice!

I just tried with the radeondeinit on and the nvidia_drv off, sysdef 18,3 and it boots well up to clover for some strange reason with a higher resolution, but I won't complain. The apple logo loads, it hangs a long time halfway (like with the nvidia card) and then there is a big white flash and the screen goes in sleep mode..... I'm a bit puzzled.... maybe my whole config.plist is a mess, I don't know!

[QUOTE="They have native drivers however for certain video editing apps many use IGPU enabled with 64Mb to get H264 to work well.

Gigamaxx,

Thanks for the insight.

You mentioned that the IGPU may need to be enabled for certain video apps? Assuming the IGPU is enabled in the BIOS, does High Sierra deal with enabling it or is there some extra kext that needs to be installed?

Also, I assume that I don't need any of my (3) lcd panels plugged into the IGPU in that instance?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yes, in bios set IGPU enabled and 64mb but set PEG or PCIE as primary output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back